Postgresql

Can Dolphin be run on Postgresql?

Csampson
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

Not without work - it's only written for MySQL.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

A heavy lift or minor tweaks...

Csampson
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

A lot.

Backticks ` for example are used in many of the queries throughout dolphin and 3'rd party modules. They are not supported in PostgreSQL. Date and time functions are different, quotes are handled differently, case sensitivity is handled different.

And most important at least to me is it is slower than MySql.

So i am curious, why would you want to use it. MySql may not be as feature rich as PostgreSQL, but it's lightweight and runs and performs faster than PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL is mostly for people that are migrating from Oracle or MSSQL that need to retain many of the features.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

A heavy lift or minor tweaks...

Can't say. There are utilities to convert a MySQL database to PostgreSQL, but Dolphin itself will need to be modified to be able to use PostgreSQL. I remember someone once converted Dolphin 6.0/6.1 to MS SQL, but don't know how much work it was. Probably a lot.

Edit: Apparently a lot.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

PostgreSQL is the default database on Mac OS X Server as of version 10.7. The standard version of Mac OS X includes only the PostgreSQL commandline client utilities. I am also interested in PostgreSQL because I want to run Dolphin on Mac server(s) someday.

If Apache by default and yet Nginx is also offered. Why not PostgreSQL as well.

Quote · 24 Apr 2014

PostgreSQL is the default database on Mac OS X Server as of version 10.7. The standard version of Mac OS X includes only the PostgreSQL commandline client utilities. I am also interested in PostgreSQL because I want to run Dolphin on Mac server(s) someday.

So install MySQL on OS X server. You're not forced to use Apple's defaults.

If Apache by default and yet Nginx is also offered. Why not PostgreSQL as well.

It's not that simple. Dolphin doesn't have any code that specifically interacts with Apache beyond the rewrite rules, and that's a quick fix for Nginx. That's like asking why you can't run Dolphin on Ruby when PHP is already used. Everything database-related needs to be rewritten or updated to support it.

Quote · 24 Apr 2014

OS  6.5 64 bit can Dolphin run on that or would that cause issues?

Deano a programmer asked me to find out about this and Postgresql?

Csampson
Quote · 25 Apr 2014

OS  6.5 64 bit can Dolphin run on that or would that cause issues?

Deano a programmer asked me to find out about this and Postgresql?

Do they mean CentOS? If so, you won't have any issues so long as Apache and co. are correctly configured.

Quote · 25 Apr 2014

Yes that is what I was talking about.  One last question I hope

PHP 5.4 will or will not cause issues?

Csampson
Quote · 25 Apr 2014

Dolphin 7.1+, works fine. Older versions will have problems.

Quote · 25 Apr 2014

Dolphin 7.1.0; php 5.4.26, php-fpm, Nginx 5.12, MySQL 5.6 community server latest edition using the mysqlnd native driver; no problems that I can see.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 25 Apr 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.