Unlimited features BUT LIMITED SPACE per member?

Our community is free to everyone and it will have "zillions" of free features, online services, downloads, and so on. Although we do want registered members to be able to do absolutely everything, we also want to restrict the amount of actual physical disk space that a member can use since we're the ones who are paying for all server dues. Is there a setting or a mod that can be implemented which would provide the ability to physically limit the amount of file space being used by each member?

If we implemented a limit of say 250 MB per member then he or she would still be able to use all of the video, music, sound, and game features without turning their account into a private multimedia gallery which could potentially take up many gigabytes of space, thereby grossly limiting the amount of members that the server can handle. Any thoughts, ideas, or solutions to this? I'd imagine that plenty of people would be interested in something like this? Thanks.

Quote · 24 Apr 2010

Bump ... anyone ???

Quote · 28 Apr 2010

hi meine... use the limits on number of photos/media if there are no limits you can have by simply copying the code that has it...remove video from your sites unless you can afford 1000 month on managed dedicated servers and thats all you do is video. Then its all math 20 pics at 1MB and 20 songs at 6MB... set your limits accordingly.

I have video tutorials to help you mrpowless.com
Quote · 28 Apr 2010

hi meine... use the limits on number of photos/media if there are no limits you can have by simply copying the code that has it...remove video from your sites unless you can afford 1000 month on managed dedicated servers and thats all you do is video. Then its all math 20 pics at 1MB and 20 songs at 6MB... set your limits accordingly.

Thanks Darren.
Can you give me a hint where to look for such settings?

Our server is a dedicated server and we already have file upload limits set per individual file. What I'm really looking for is the ability to let anyone and everyone upload to their hearts delight (music, videos, shop items, photos) as long as the member doesn't go beyond a set total MB size limit. Similar to set mailbox limits on some mail servers. I have two 1.5 Terrabyte drives available so I won't have to worry about video file sizes for awhile. But if members are limited to a specific max MB size then it'll force members to automatically keep their allocated space clean. For example, if a member loaded up 10 small videos which filled their 250 MB limit they'd get an "account limit reached - please clean up your files" message. That would be far more practical than setting individual limits for certain files since members would have a lot more freedom to be creative that way.

How hard would it be to write a mod like that? I can't help but think that many people would be interested in something like this?

Quote · 28 Apr 2010

I'm looking for exactly the same thing too.

Surely there is field where you can set storage limits or at least file size limits for members isn't there?

Quote · 29 Apr 2010

I'm looking for exactly the same thing too.

Surely there is field where you can set storage limits or at least file size limits for members isn't there?

No, there sure isn't and it surprises me when you consider that a lot of servers out there only offer 500 GB of space and even less. Just a few personal videos by one single member can already take up one GB of space and that's why I'd figure that a mod like this would be important to a lot of people out there. Just imagine paying good money for a root server that's "restricted" to no more than a couple of hundred members, just because a hand full of them are using everything to the max .... not to mention anyone with a virtual shared server ...

By having one set max limit per member their freedom to use everything still prevails, but they have to be more careful what they use and how much they make use of something. Makes perfect sense to me. Hopefully someone will come up with something because I'm receptive to buying such a mod if the price is reasonable.

Quote · 29 Apr 2010

Bump, bumpity bump ....

Quote · 30 Apr 2010

Bump, bumpity bump ....

And some more bumpage...

I'd deffo be interested in a premium mod for this feature too.

In fact it's pretty surprising that something as important as this has been overlooked in the main build.

Quote · 30 Apr 2010

B U M P . . .

I'm willing to bet that people would pay for this !!!

I'm not a php programmer but I can't help but think that this would be a fairly simple mod to write up, and then you'd be able to sell it on Boonex/Unity and perhaps even make a few dollars for the work that you put into it. Virtually UNRESTRICTED USAGE limited only by the amount of member file space that's being used. This can't possibly be a bad idea ... can it ???
The mod could even be expanded so that it could be either assigned to a particular membership, or as a part of the promotional or standard membership, to be disabled at will with a checkmark in the appropriate box.

C'mon guys, I really need something like this since we're offering all accounts 100% free, no strings attached.

Quote · 1 May 2010

Right I haven't played with this yet, but an idea..

I have files, sounds & video activated on my site.

Now, in the sounds settings you can specify a total length for the audio file to be converted. I'm not sure, but I think this feature is overidden when a member uploads a native mp3 file (i.e no format conversion is required) - is that correct?

I haven't looked but i'm pretty sure that the video settings will have a similar filesize limit too.

So, if the file length can somehow be forced on ALL uploaded sounds & video's that's one part of the problem solved.

What i'm thinking is that it may be possible to cut & paste (with modifications) that code from these scripts into the file handler one.

At least then we could set file size limits on each of these, e.g videos-30mb sounds-30mb files-30mb

Of course it doesn't help with the overall storage allowance for each user at all, as they could simply upload 100 x 30mb videos, but it's a start no?

At the moment there is no limit on the size of anything uploaded via the "Files" module, which is a major problem.

Quote · 1 May 2010

What i'm thinking is that it may be possible to cut & paste (with modifications) that code from these scripts into the file handler one.

At least then we could set file size limits on each of these, e.g videos-30mb sounds-30mb files-30mb

Of course it doesn't help with the overall storage allowance for each user at all, as they could simply upload 100 x 30mb videos, but it's a start no?

Well, that's kind of what mrpowless was suggesting earlier - but it's not a solution that I want to implement since that's too much like rigging something with duct-tape, if you know what I mean. In this day and age of community websites there are now many many people who do a little bit of everything, be it song uploads, album creations, photo galleries, whatever. I don't want for someone to get annoyed because first they receive a message (which isn't even available at the moment) that their video space is full. Then, a week or just days later another message that their sounds are full. Another week or a month goes by and wham, yet another message because the photos are full. That's crap and I'm sure that some people would be annoyed enough to leave the site.

That's why I don't want to put various restrictions on various items. Just one single restriction across the board which, in my opinion anyway, provides a member with a lot more freedom to do whatever they want, longer, without any warnings. Once the account limit in MB has been reached a friendly warning page pops up with a reminder that some of the members multimedia, store items, or file options have reached their limit .. would you please be kind enough to clean up some of those items?

That's something that I'm sure most members could relate to much easier, and they wouldn't have a problem cleaning up some of their files as a result.

Quote · 1 May 2010

Well, that's kind of what mrpowless was suggesting earlier - but it's not a solution that I want to implement since that's too much like rigging something with duct-tape, if you know what I mean. In this day and age of community websites there are now many many people who do a little bit of everything, be it song uploads, album creations, photo galleries, whatever. I don't want for someone to get annoyed because first they receive a message (which isn't even available at the moment) that their video space is full. Then, a week or just days later another message that their sounds are full. Another week or a month goes by and wham, yet another message because the photos are full. That's crap and I'm sure that some people would be annoyed enough to leave the site.

That's why I don't want to put various restrictions on various items. Just one single restriction across the board which, in my opinion anyway, provides a member with a lot more freedom to do whatever they want, longer, without any warnings. Once the account limit in MB has been reached a friendly warning page pops up with a reminder that some of the members multimedia, store items, or file options have reached their limit .. would you please be kind enough to clean up some of those items?

That's something that I'm sure most members could relate to much easier, and they wouldn't have a problem cleaning up some of their files as a result.

Oh I totally agree with you, a universal storage limit would be the ultimate solution, was just suggesting an "in the meantime" fix.

;)

Quote · 1 May 2010

Jtadeo used to have a mod that alerted you by email once a users movie size quota had been reached - this is taken from his site -

I also wrote an upload alert mod for movies files. This FREE Dolphin mod will alert you via e-mail if the member is over the total file size limit for each member. For example, if you set the limit to a total of 50 MB for each member, it will send an alert. It will also deny the member from uploading any more files by redirecting them to a page location that you specify. I've had over 400 downloads for this mod as of the beginning of May 2008.

HTH

/DM

Dolphin - Ajax Masturbation
Quote · 2 May 2010

Jtadeo used to have a mod that alerted you by email once a users movie size quota had been reached - this is taken from his site -

I also wrote an upload alert mod for movies files. This FREE Dolphin mod will alert you via e-mail if the member is over the total file size limit for each member. For example, if you set the limit to a total of 50 MB for each member, it will send an alert. It will also deny the member from uploading any more files by redirecting them to a page location that you specify. I've had over 400 downloads for this mod as of the beginning of May 2008.

HTH

/DM

Thanks for the input. I'll contact Jtadeo and see what he says ... Cool

Quote · 2 May 2010

Is there any news on this one ?

Quote · 26 Jul 2014

Is there any news on this one ?

Mod in the market that I use but it has a bug:

http://www.boonex.com/m/traffic-inspector

The bug is that if a member deletes content, the table that holds the user's limits is not updated.  ESASE told me he would work on the bug but the last time I asked him about it he never answered my email.  So I guess he is not going to fix the bug after all.  I told him I would remove the negative review if he fixed the bug and he agreed but then that was the last I heard from him.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 26 Jul 2014

ESASE hasn't responded to anyone for two years.  His products should be removed from the market.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 26 Jul 2014

ESASE hasn't responded to anyone for two years.  His products should be removed from the market.

His last message to me was on 21.01.14 and since then nothing.

Quote · 26 Jul 2014

http://www.boonex.com/m/Dolphin_7_Membership_Subscriptions_Module

Allows you to set number of actions for each action within each module for multiple membership levels.

Also can set each action limit to 'reset' at intervals of your choice.

example - you can set basic membership level to cap at posting 10 photos per month, or per year etc...

The module is brilliant, the support not so much. 

Quote · 27 Jul 2014

Allows you to set number of actions for each action within each module for multiple membership levels.

example - you can set basic membership level to cap at posting 10 photos per month, or per year etc...

I sent him a message on 6-15 and he still hasn't replied to it yet. A quick check of his profile shows he has 3 unread letters. Do you have that module?

Quote · 27 Jul 2014

Doesn't the normal membership actions cover this?

Number of items does not translate to disk space usage; the OP wanted to control disk space usage, not number of items and the person that revived this thread wanted the same..

Quote · 27 Jul 2014

trafic inspector would be the thing i am

looking for, but if the error is still there and if there is no support, then i would not touch it. However it also says its not testet with version 7.1.1

is there a alternetive to this maybe ?

Quote · 30 Jul 2014

Yes. I have purchased it several times...!

I sent him a message on 6-15 and he still hasn't replied to it yet. A quick check of his profile shows he has 3 unread letters. Do you have that module?

Quote · 30 Jul 2014

Im not sure re normal membership, as I dont have a site without the subscription management module installed currently.

I understand that the question was regarding disc space as a quantity and not 'items' posted, but this would at least give some control. Im not aware of anything as easy that allows control of actual disc space used... or that allows specifying where that disc space is allocated, as in photos - videos etc.... 

Doesn't the normal membership actions cover this?
Number of items does not translate to disk space usage; the OP wanted to control disk space usage, not number of items and the person that revived this thread wanted the same..

Quote · 30 Jul 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.