Upload Product with FTP, and Add File Location

Hello community!

I have a hundreds of products that I would like to add to my dolphin store. Currently the only add file option with in the store module is to upload the files and then give them a price etc. Some of the product files I am adding are several hundred, MB, and a few are even over a GB in size.

What I would like to do, is upload the products, through FTP, and have a field on the add product page to add the product that simply asks for the file location, that results in a download button, that only works after the purchase is made.

Is this possible? Is there is module add on that does this already? How can I make this for my site?

Without it, I am really handicapped, and not sure how to add my larger file products in my store.

Thank you in Advance!
David

P.S. I am using the latest Dolphin 7.1+

“Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” - Dalai Lama
Quote · 18 Dec 2014

Hello Community!

Happy Holidays to everyone, I do hope that you all have a very Merry Christmas, I am eagerly looking for a reply to this post! I ask that at your earliest convenience that you give me a reply. Thank you in advance, I appreciate all that you guys do!

Happy Holidays,

David

Quote · 20 Dec 2014

You'll have to hire someone to do some customization work for this.  I don't know of any mods that already do this.  With those file sizes, I don't think putting them on a standard web server will work very well.  Unless you are expecting low download rates, they really should be hosted on a content delivery network. 

You can try posting a job here in the job section, but I personally don't have a lot of faith in that process.  You face the same problem a lot of us do.... getting some custom work done is like trying to get someone to donate a lung.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 20 Dec 2014

Hello ,

Thank you for your timely reply! My dolphin site is on a blazing fast dedicated server. 16 GB of RAM 8 Core XION Processors, the works. We can upgrade to up to 1 GB dedicated bandwidth as the site grows.

I appreciate you giving me some direction about what I need to do next... It sounds lke I am left to a bit of luck or in desperate need of a Christmas miracle to get this working now lol. Tongue Out. I have a team (not professional developers but very hard working) that have been working long days for weeks to help develop my dolphin site. All of this time and money we have invested already is totally dependent on being able to add larger product files in the sites store in order for it to all pay off.

I am certain that adding a file location field on the add products page is only a matter of a few lines of code? Is there someone willing to help with this job for a reasonable price? Is there anyone you guys could recommend that I contact about this?

Thank you and Merry Christmas,

David

Quote · 20 Dec 2014

I've never tried it, but you might be able to upload a small 'dummy' file instead of the real one, then upload the large file via ftp to replace it.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 21 Dec 2014

Hello ,

That is a darn good idea, I will try it in a bit and let you know if it works!

Quote · 22 Dec 2014

The uploaded file is converted to a encrypted file with no zip extension. Under the type, it just says its a file. Not a .zip or anything like that. So manually changing the files and overwriting them may not be an option, but its a heck of an idea. I just do not understand how it all works well enough to see that idea through.

Quote · 22 Dec 2014

The uploaded file is converted to a encrypted file with no zip extension.

The files are not encrypted.  The version stored on your server is just renamed using a combination of the file ID and a hash, without any file extension.  I'm pretty sure replacing the file would work, but it is not without issues.... probably enough issues for it not to be a viable solution for anything more than a handful of files.

What is really needed, is a modification of the files uploader so that you have an option to upload from a url instead of always from a client computer.  Even if the upload from a url was limited to the same domain, it would solve the problem.  That would be the simplest solution

Quote · 22 Dec 2014

Hello ,

I tried it with a small 2 MB file, and it worked! First I uploaded a dummy zip file with nothing but a text file in it, then I renamed the real zip file with the exact same file name that is on the server, and replaced the dummy file with it, and the download worked! It downloaded the 2MB file!

I will try with bigger files later today. Thank you!

Quote · 22 Dec 2014

Hello ,

I tried it with a small 2 MB file, and it worked! First I uploaded a dummy zip file with nothing but a text file in it, then I renamed the real zip file with the exact same file name that is on the server, and replaced the dummy file with it, and the download worked! It downloaded the 2MB file!

I will try with bigger files later today. Thank you!

One of the issues is that the file size will not be indicated correctly since it is determined when the file is uploaded normally, then the file size info is stored in the db. 

Quote · 22 Dec 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.