Using Dolphin 7.1 as a CMS only

Hello all,

I'm looking to build a new site using dolphin 7.1 as a CMS, so that all the functionality of the back end is retained, although the front end would be completely different, away from the current template system, using page elements from tympanus.net/codrops/ .

These codrops elements are static - great for admin-entered content but not for user-entered content and so would need to be adapted to become dynamically loaded.

Is this achievable?

I'm not a developer and have limited understanding of this would work in practice.

I'm happy to pay for time spent with experimenting and testing to see if this would work.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine...
Quote · 16 Dec 2014

Anyone interested?

Quote · 17 Dec 2014

We (team fruiltoops) are building a site that keeps the very useful dolphin back end, but has nothing to do with the social network thing. basically we are stripping out anything that we do not need, and are getting custom code to make out site serve its single purpose incredibly well and as simply as possible......

So far so good....   : )

Quote · 17 Dec 2014

It is always better to use a platform designed from the beginning for the particular application at hand.  Why use Dolphin for a CMS when there are plenty of robust CMSes out there?  It is why I scoff at the idea of BuddyPress as a social networking platform; it is just a mod slapped on top of a CMS.  The old adage, "The right tool for the right job" still applies.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 17 Dec 2014

I would interested in learning more  - can you pls PM me?

We (team fruiltoops) are building a site that keeps the very useful dolphin back end, but has nothing to do with the social network thing. basically we are stripping out anything that we do not need, and are getting custom code to make out site serve its single purpose incredibly well and as simply as possible......

So far so good....   : )

Quote · 17 Dec 2014

I'm open to suggestions, which is the right tool in your opinion GG?

It is always better to use a platform designed from the beginning for the particular application at hand.  Why use Dolphin for a CMS when there are plenty of robust CMSes out there?  It is why I scoff at the idea of BuddyPress as a social networking platform; it is just a mod slapped on top of a CMS.  The old adage, "The right tool for the right job" still applies.

Quote · 17 Dec 2014

You have to outline what your want your CMS to accomplish.  Some CMSes are designed to be more blogging platforms; such as WordPress.  One of my favourite for creating a website has been phpwcms; I especially like the ease of its template system.  The backend has some learning curve but I set the site up for a guy that is not that computer knowledgeable and he had no trouble adding and changing content.  However, it might not be for you at all.  One CMS that I hated was Typo.

Take a look at http://www.opensourcecms.com/  Most have demos where you can look at both the front end and the backend.

Quote · 17 Dec 2014

Thanks for the info, although I would rather not move away from Dolphin, given the amount of money I've spent on adding all the functionality on my sites. The learning curve would also be an issue with a new platform, hence my original post.

Quote · 17 Dec 2014

Thanks for the info, although I would rather not move away from Dolphin, given the amount of money I've spent on adding all the functionality on my sites. The learning curve would also be an issue with a new platform, hence my original post.

I guess you could use it for CMS.  Use the home page for a splash page and then create pages and add in the navigation to those pages.

Quote · 17 Dec 2014

Are you in a position to build a demo if I provided you with the outline plan? PM me if you are interested.

I guess you could use it for CMS.  Use the home page for a splash page and then create pages and add in the navigation to those pages.

Quote · 17 Dec 2014

I would suggest to look at Dolphin 8 (Dolphin U), it's easier to use it as CMS, in the nearest future more modules will be available for it.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 22 Dec 2014

I would suggest to look at Dolphin 8 (Dolphin U), it's easier to use it as CMS, in the nearest future more modules will be available for it.

m waiting for D8 ...how long it will take for the content to appear in search engine ..wordpress content appear in search engine way faster that D7..

Quote · 22 Dec 2014

Alex, I've spent a small fortune and many hours developing my 7.1 site, so I would prefer to stick with 7.1 rather than re-learn it all for U.

Quote · 22 Dec 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.