When will there be ANY kind of release?

I was just re-reading Andrew's Blog on what to expect in the next Dolphin Pro. I was a little surprised by the opening sentences which implied Pro will be released after the Dolphin U Beta. If I am correct there is no planned date for U Beta release which is expected to be some time off yet. So, am I right in saying we cannot expect ANY release of either for some while yet? Please enlighten me as Dolphin appears to be pretty useless to any web designers with future projects with so much hanging in the balance. Without any kind of estimated time frame Dolphin cannot be seriously considered, which is a shame given that U appears to have potential.

Quote · 28 Oct 2014

Yes, that is correct.

So, am I right in saying we cannot expect ANY release of either for some while yet?

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 28 Oct 2014

Thanks, I thought so. I'm currently testing Dolphin U & another platform which is also doing a major overhaul of it's software. Both are proceeding in different directions but the other one has at least got a Beta version out which they update regularly. Ironically both are continuing with their original structures but the other one seems to be releasing a lot more despite there only being two developers. It is easy to post about great things we can expect in future releases but unfortunately as they say talk is cheap. Until we actually see action then it is meaningless.

Quote · 28 Oct 2014

I think this is total BS if you ask me...
7.2 or D Pro is going to be beta first as GG stated, so that means we can consider it as a new concept version and not as where 7.1.4 ended. So i guess what Andrew B said in one of his topics ( it will be an easy upgrade when you have 7.1.4 => 7.2) is just a wait and see type, trial and error etc...

I´ll come back in the summer of 2015 and see the changes
Until then i do nothing on my mods (changes)

Quote · 28 Oct 2014

I think this is total BS if you ask me...
7.2 or D Pro is going to be beta first as GG stated, so that means we can consider it as a new concept version and not as where 7.1.4 ended. So i guess what Andrew B said in one of his topics ( it will be an easy upgrade when you have 7.1.4 => 7.2) is just a wait and see type, trial and error etc...

I´ll come back in the summer of 2015 and see the changes
Until then i do nothing on my mods (changes)

All releases have had a beta first, so they can be tested for any potential issues that need to be addressed before release. Dolphin 7.1.4 had a beta, and so will the next version. There is no reason to believe the next version of Dolphin 7 (regardless of the name) will not allow a direct upgrade.

All Dolphin U needs now is an album system and a few tweaks, and then it's in beta. I expect that to happen next month, and then Dolphin 7 will see its next beta shortly after.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 28 Oct 2014

Thanks, I thought so. I'm currently testing Dolphin U & another platform which is also doing a major overhaul of it's software. Both are proceeding in different directions but the other one has at least got a Beta version out which they update regularly. Ironically both are continuing with their original structures but the other one seems to be releasing a lot more despite there only being two developers. It is easy to post about great things we can expect in future releases but unfortunately as they say talk is cheap. Until we actually see action then it is meaningless.

Is the other platform moxi9 ?

http://certifiedhosting.com/
Quote · 29 Oct 2014

All Dolphin U needs now is an album system and a few tweaks, and then it's in beta. I expect that to happen next month, and then Dolphin 7 will see its next beta shortly after.

@Nathan - I am sorry, but from a Project Management or Business perspective, that statement you made has almost no meaning.  What exactly does "shortly after" mean?  You are a loyal guy, and that is admirable, but the reason protests like this are happening is because this product hasn't been updated in 14 months - and they have even announced they plan to finish a new product before they even fix any bugs or do a maintenance release on their existing product.   For all intents and purposes, that sounds like an abandonment.

The product has been treated more like someone's hobby - people have invested heavily in this and have a right to be concerned

Quote · 29 Oct 2014

I haven't heard or tried that one but no it isn't.

Quote · 29 Oct 2014

@Nathan - I am sorry, but from a Project Management or Business perspective, that statement you made has almost no meaning.  What exactly does "shortly after" mean?  You are a loyal guy, and that is admirable, but the reason protests like this are happening is because this product hasn't been updated in 14 months - and they have even announced they plan to finish a new product before they even fix any bugs or do a maintenance release on their existing product.   For all intents and purposes, that sounds like an abandonment.

The product has been treated more like someone's hobby - people have invested heavily in this and have a right to be concerned

I agree! As I said myself, I like everything about Dolphin U & see it as progress from Dolphin 7 (Pro as it is now). Both products are great & have huge potential & what we are being told about future releases also sounds good but without any kind of definitive plan how can we take them seriously? As Project Designers we cannot consider Dolphin for any future projects without knowing whether something is coming in the Autumn 2014, Winter 2014, Spring 2015 at the very least!! Personally speaking I prefer Dolphin to more popular platforms such as Wordpress (security is often an issue with that platform) & Joomla, etc & the sad reality is Dolphin could be up there with these more popular platforms!

Quote · 29 Oct 2014

I have 4 sites phpfox now moxi9, 3 oxwall sites, 1 esyndicate site, and 2 dolphin sites 

they all need to be updated :(

http://moxi9.com/phpfox

http://certifiedhosting.com/
Quote · 29 Oct 2014

I have 4 sites phpfox now moxi9, 3 oxwall sites, 1 esyndicate site, and 2 dolphin sites 

they all need to be updated :(

http://moxi9.com/phpfox

phpfox is good...i saw one template on youtube ..which make ur phpfox look like facebook... i think version 4 will be even better..

Quote · 29 Oct 2014

Aah so Moxi is pretty much like the old Ning platform right? I'm not in to those kind of sites as they don't tend to be all that customisable so even without the 'Powered by' tag you can still tell what platform is being used. I'm using both Dolphin & PHP-Fusion which as I say both have new releases.

Quote · 29 Oct 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.