I have to agree witht he guys. SEO is a huge wakeness within dolphin. Yes, there are mods that can help a bit. But we are talking Social Community building here. Andrew - Dolphin should have the BEST seo, not the worst. This is all about communities, amd communities can not grow without members. We have been lucky enough to find someone that can help us out in our case, but many will not.
We, the dolphin users, have asked you again and again to make changes to dolphin that will make it into the see more best product in its class. You will never compete with the competition in any way, let alone beat them without making EVERY effort to make dolphin into the outstancing platform it can be. With weak SEO, this will never happen. We are not talking D8 here, but improvements that have been mentioned over and over. And yes, I know you have your hands full, but sometimes the best way forward is to stop, and listenand take stock before proceeding.
DRautenbach, you are right. It is the #1 market and competition weakness of dolphin. If dolphin was coded to win in SEO, we could probably complain a bit less about other weaknesses such as the multitude of bugs that are inherrent in every version of dolphin :)
The fundemental SEO weaknesses of dolphin, just for the record, are;
1) lack of meta description and meta keywords on pages.
2) Bad titles on many pages.
3) Too much junk text on pages... if you view a page as a search bot does, see more you will find loads of irrelevent, indexable words and phrases that are part of dolphin and not part of the site. They all detract from a webmasters own keyword weights. In other words, if you put a paragraph of keyword weighted text on a dolphin page, it gets swamped out by dolphin text, much of which is not visible on the page but comes from indexable code tags and such. Much of it comes before the actual content of the page, which means your paragraph of keyword weighted text comes low down in the page code, and end up being almost irrelevent.
4) Bad URLs - and why have "Boonex" in so many of them??!!
5) too many publically visible navigation and option links, many of which should be coded as no follow for SEO clarity and to avoid duplicate content.
I do think SEO should be more of a focal point for the dolphin developers, as SEO has become a focal point for webmasters these days, and for other web software developers.
your meta tags can be extended by manually adding to your /templates/base/index.html file..leave out the two values that are added via admin panel..
this is how my index.html is edited.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright see more - All Rights Reserved Michael Newton 2004 - 2011" />
<meta name="robots" content="All" />
<meta name="cache-control" content="no-store" />
<meta name="pragma" content="no-store" />
<meta name="author" content="Micheal L Newton" />
<meta name="revisit-after" content="1 Week" />
<meta name="language" content="EN" />
<meta name="rating" content="general" />
<meta name="CLASSIFICATIONS" content="Webcam; Streaming Video; Webcams; p2p software; system software; Gate River Run Cam; Webcam Sites; Florida; Computer cam; Internet; Webcams; Entertainment; Webcams" />