Deleting unused category names

Deleting categories from various modules, places those category names under the "Pending Approval" tab in admin > settings > Categories Settings.  You can select these category names, then activate them.

Now I've taken a break from this crap for a while, so maybe I'm a little rusty.  Where, may I ask, is the friggin delete button?  I deleted these names for a reason... I don't f***ing want them.  I'm working on a business site, and I can say with 100% certainty, that I will never have Gay & Lesbian groups, and I don't even have a clue wtf bushwalking is.  I really don't need all these useless "stock" category names cluttering my admin section.

Or shall I just go database diving, per usual?

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 9 Dec 2011

It's called moderation..on a database level..

welcome back

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 9 Dec 2011

DB

Quote · 9 Dec 2011

created a little video tutorial on how to manage the categories on the different modules. for the most part, the management is going to be done from the database. in the video i provide the query on how to select all that you have set to disable from the specific module on the admin panel. setting the category to disable, does not remove them, they will need to be removed from the database. The ads categories are managed through the categories manager, but all over modules categories are managed through sys_categories on the database. 

seems that HL has discovered a bug here, and i will see if i can post it as such. the button is there to disable or delete, and they both seem to be doing the same function, disabling, or setting to passive. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N37JB9QqOHY

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 9 Dec 2011

Nah, HL didnt discover this bug, Ive known about this one since I started using Dolphin!

Quote · 9 Dec 2011

A bug in Dolphin.... imagine that!

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 9 Dec 2011

well has there been a ticket submitted on it? 

Nah, HL didnt discover this bug, Ive known about this one since I started using Dolphin!

if not i will try to see if we can get one submitted. there are many little hidden bugs, and if they are not addressed through the ticket system then they are not going to be fixed. 

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 9 Dec 2011

I also noticed that if you delete a country in pre-defined values, it comes back....

unless of course, you delete it in the database...!

Quote · 9 Dec 2011

Take it easy, everyone.  I'll make a ticket for this.

Edit: http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/2705

Topic moved.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 9 Dec 2011

its referred to as politically incorrect and the statement was that gay and lesbian was not a required category nor was there an idea of what bushwalking pertains to.

Steady on, you will get the post deleted for being un-politically correct ;-)

better just stick to talking bout the DB and bugs.

i too, can attest that if you would make that statement in the state of Texas, you would be sucking through a straw for a few months, if at all :-)

there are many categories, and many that have no real use, what is bushwalking, no clue, walking in the bush would be my best guess. but to say a specific category is not needed truly has no bearing on political correctness, nor have i known any post on here to consider political correctness, here nor there, i think the issue is being addressed. 

Quote · 9 Dec 2011

Take it easy, everyone.  I'll make a ticket for this.

Edit: http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/2705

Topic moved.

Hey super moderator... if you are going to delete parts of my posts, why don't you also apply a little common sense, and delete all the idiotic comments that pissed me off in the first place?  If that's too much trouble, feel free to delete this thread entirely.

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

there are many categories, and many that have no real use, what is bushwalking, no clue, walking in the bush would be my best guess. but to say a specific category is not needed truly has no bearing on political correctness, nor have i known any post on here to consider political correctness, here nor there, i think the issue is being addressed. 

http://www.bushwalkingaustralia.org/

Hence, Boonex is based in Australia, and that's what they call "hiking" 

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

Hey super moderator... if you are going to delete parts of my posts, why don't you also apply a little common sense, and delete all the idiotic comments that pissed me off in the first place?  If that's too much trouble, feel free to delete this thread entirely.

I don't always edit posts, but when I do, it's because I have a quota on language.

I also sent a warning to that person above, in case that helps.  It probably doesn't, but neither do these new soles in my boots.

Edit: It seems one of my seventeen cats managed to sit on my keyboard and hide a bunch of offending posts.  I'll let him have his day.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 10 Dec 2011

Ahhhh, ok. Well Boonex I request you replace this category with something less regional that is more relevant to the rest of us. Like maybe kangaroo boxing or boomerang throwing..

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

cow tipping

coon hunting

gator grabbing

stump jumping

and boonex is in Kyrgyzstan

Ahhhh, ok. Well Boonex I request you replace this category with something less regional that is more relevant to the rest of us. Like maybe kangaroo boxing or boomerang throwing..

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

You know, I don't really care where the true coders are at, I do know the one who own's the business is there and would have something to do with that category being there, I think Mike is there as well.

For business inquiries, partnerships and investment opportunities, please email Andrew Boon (uno@boonex.com).

Mailing address: 10, Cedar Grove, Castle Hill, NSW, 2154, Australia

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

newt,

mike is in kyrgz as well

andrew and one other person are in Aus

but not from there. and probably has never done any bushwalking LOL

You know, I don't really care where the true coders are at, I do know the one who own's the business is there and would have something to do with that category being there, I think Mike is there as well.

For business inquiries, partnerships and investment opportunities, please email Andrew Boon (uno@boonex.com).

Mailing address: 10, Cedar Grove, Castle Hill, NSW, 2154, Australia

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

Apologies if my 'joke' actually offended Houston, I thought you being the guy who gives the most stick on the forum , may also be the one who would see the humour in my post. 

Consider myself officially told off by NP the SuperModerator. I will no longer attempt to post anything with subtle humour for fear of offending the adults who may read it. 

Although it would be good if my posts about the 'issues' with having to edit the database which were in complete agreement with Houstons post were taken into consideration.

Im off to take my 'lighten-up' pill, apparently long overdue by all of us :-)

Happy Christmas one and all. May you enjoy a Dolphin bug free year to come... 

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

well i can say this, first and foremost, apology was warranted, and you may not be aware of the implication of addressing one from Texas with such an inference, be that as it may, if it were in humor, then it was stern and direct coming across as an accusatory endeavor. 

Apologies if my 'joke' actually offended Houston, I thought you being the guy who gives the most stick on the forum , may also be the one who would see the humour in my post. 

Consider myself officially told off by NP the SuperModerator. I will no longer attempt to post anything with subtle humour for fear of offending the adults who may read it. 

Although it would be good if my posts about the 'issues' with having to edit the database which were in complete agreement with Houstons post were taken into consideration.

Im off to take my 'lighten-up' pill, apparently long overdue by all of us :-)

Happy Christmas one and all. May you enjoy a Dolphin bug free year to come... 

you would be better off addressing HL directly as with any terminology that suited the moment, rather than beat around the bush. not just HL, myself included, and yes we are all adults, and some of us males, are true males, and take pride in ourselves for who we are. to each his or her own, i judge not, for there is but one judge, though i know the ways of my path, but not my direction as it seems i stray to and fro, yet the hand that Is lifts me from the mire. and for that i am grateful.

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/changeset/15742

Quote · 10 Dec 2011

I have no clue what u guys are talking about here . All posts aside the main problem thread was opened for seems really stupid for me here .. maybe i just dont getting whats going on :-)

Quote · 11 Dec 2011

I have no clue what u guys are talking about here . All posts aside the main problem thread was opened for seems really stupid for me here .. maybe i just dont getting whats going on :-)

There was a problem.  Problem is now fixed.

Quote · 11 Dec 2011

First trial - 2009

Latest Trial - January 2012 - Latest Dolphin Version

After 3 years have gone by:

Still cannot find anything to delete unused / unwanted /test categories from the video section or the photography section

Still cannot find anything to delete unused / unwanted / test albums from the video section or the photography section

Still cannot create subcategories - Photography and Music work like this:

Pic or Music Category > (Photography - Chillout)

Pic or Music Genre > (Nature Photography - Chillout Dub)

Pic or Music Albums > (Mountains - Exo10)

Pictures or Video Tracks > (Mountain Landscapes - Beat Me)

Why has this most basic universal apporach not been applied to Dolphin? Can we ask / demand that it be included? And yes I bump the idea of a "Delete Button" - that would be so easy to add surely!

Maybe by 2015 you will have the version ready that I am prepared to buy 

Otherwise keep at it guys - Good stuff really

Quote · 26 Jan 2012

XTC - I hear you! I've been a Boonex User for a whole two weeks now, and getting into the details, I discover that there's a kind of big problem still with Categories and Country Lists, even in the latest version Dolphin 7.2.1.

As much as I'd love to bring US to the top of the Country List, I just can't figure out how to circumvent the alphabetical sorting.

And as for Categories, it looks like I can spend $30 each on mods for Articles and News, but that still leaves Sites, which needs custom categories worse than any of them. And of course, deleting irrelevant category names seems to be a must-have.

If there is a path to happiness with categories, and it lives in database editing, I guess I can try that next. It makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is that Dolphin is completely missing an easy way to edit Categories and to create sub-categories. I just don't understand.

Would someone be able to help me with this problem?

Thanks - CHOPS

Quote · 31 Oct 2015

XTC - I hear you!

Well... I'm afraid XTC doesn't hear you.  XTC hasn't been online for over three years.

Quote · 31 Oct 2015

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.