Is there a Restricted Content Feature?

We are trying to make our site user friendly to as broad a market as possible. We don't want to be censoring content either. However, if a users wishes to post "mature" or adult content or something that may be offensive to others ideally we'd like for them to be able to do it but have it where users who haven't chosen to see "adult" content won't see the posting.

Kind of like google filters. Any suggestions on the best way to implement this? Are there any market modules for this purpose?

The simplest solution I would think is having a category "Adult Content (17+)" and only members who have opted to see mature content would ever see any postings of any type that have that as their category. So a check box at sign up and that they can change in the edit profile would be most logical.

Otherwise I have Antons Profile Splitter mod and was considering making two profile types and working out something between that and the page access control or something.

Any input, ideas or solutions are appreciated. 

Quote · 12 Aug 2017

We have a similar problem. Some of our members wish to add adult rated material and others are offended by it. With regard to photos, we will restrict explicit stuff to "Friends Only" and threaten to expel people if they don't wish to conform. We're still testing after a year of mods, but that bit seems to be working.

Where we're running into trouble is in the profiles themselves. The problem people are also making their profiles very explicit, yet on our site we want every member to be able to see every profile and not be offended.

The solution is to make certain profile blocks only accessible if a member becomes a friend with the profile owner. That's the way photos etc work and it should be available for profiles as well. We wish to have an entire profile block called something like "My Explicit Me" where fields would be available for the profile owner to describe him or herself openly if they wish. The general user would NOT see that section of the profile unless they became friends with the owner.

I don't know much about the inner workings of Dolphin, but I can change certain blocks to Friends Only by changing a single field in the database, but I have to do it manually for each profile entered. Alex T said I would have to get someone to create a mod and I wrote to Modzzz to see if he would create one. He said he could do it for me and judging by the very reasonable price he asked, it's not a difficult job. I said I'd prefer to wait for a mod which possibly offered more features and he said he'd think about it.  That was a few weeks ago.

I'm sure Modzzz or Anton can create a reasonably priced mod with a few additional bells and whistles, but I think they need to be convinced the mod will be useful.  I stand corrected, but I think the feature is built in to Oxwall and Elgg, but sadly the programmers at Boonex spend too much time giving the end user all the flexibility they need, but not Admins.

For example, the feature is already available to Dolphin's end users in the way of the little yellow key which appears in every profile block. I have this "feature" switched off because I do NOT want my members stuffing around and deciding who can see what. I believe that's an admin task. If the yellow keys could be controlled by admin only, or members if that's what people wish, them our problems would be solved - and possibly yours!

I believe this mod would be popular and I'm hoping someone will create it soon.

Quote · 13 Aug 2017

I believe this mod would be popular and I'm hoping someone will create it soon.

I wholeheartedly agree John. We need a more organic way to control "explicit" content and I think the only reasonable way is to allow (or require) each member when they join to check a box that says they want to view unfiltered/uncensored content. They can always change this choice in the settings.

And it has to be global so any modules (both boonex and after market ones) can have content filtered either based on a required checkbox when creating new content (easiest) or perhaps by a dedicated category (example: mature 17+) but I think that is a more awkward choice and it takes away from categories beings focused on the actual content, because adult content isn't just sex related, it can be strong language, graphic violence, etc.

So adding a required checkbox to all member submissions is easy, learnable, logical and the result would be any member who opted to screen that sort of content would see a greyed section that says "filtered content" or similar verbiage.

I think Twitter has a similar system where you see a grey screen and have a choice to go to your settings to remove the adult/mature content restriction.

Bottom line, I'd happily buy the module and think any and every boonex site developer would see this as pretty much a must have to allow as many members to share what they like while minimizing the offense taken by others. Perhaps thats why every socially involved site like YouTube, FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram, et al have some core ability to address these.

Quote · 13 Aug 2017

BOTTOM LINE: We need a universal yes/no button (not check mark since that can be overlooked) next to the question: "Does this content contain mature or offensive material?" that ALL submitted content by members must click either YES or NO.

If clicked YES only members who opt to see all content will see the actual material. Members who opt to have that content filtered see a blurred or gray overlay stating the content has been tagged as possibly containing mature or offensive content.

If clicked NO then no restrictions or filtering occurs. And administrators or moderators can easily change the setting if the member didn't set it appropriately.

Quote · 13 Aug 2017

There are probably a few issues with what you suggest, but open discussion is far better than none at all. Some of the things you raise are excellent, but they're probably something that needs to be done with Dolphin's core, rather than a simple or add-on mod.  I'm not familiar with the rules involving mods, but it seems that there are some restrictions. It would seem that a mod must be an additional feature, whereas core changes could be seen as a "fork", which in my opinion Dolphin seriously needs.

An excellent example of a "fork" would be a Shopping Cart script called OSCommerce. It is/was one of the best shopping carts around and completely free. The problem was that the head person had a mind-set and the script developed pretty much the way he dictated. Whether that was what the user wanted, didn't seem to matter. Then another group of developers got hold of the script, listened to public comment and developed Zen Cart. Now the two scripts are like chalk and cheese. Zen Cart is by far the popular choice, with hundreds of improvements OSCommerce doesn't seem to be all that interested in. 

From my perspective, Dolphin continues to develop with the end user in mind. If one establishes a site with the basic script, the end user can literally block everything and everyone, whilst the admin has little or no control at all. To support my argument, I'm going to focus on the little yellow keys. These are inaccessible to admins, but an end user can literally block every part of their profile, totally destroying it, and the site. To put it bluntly - "How stupid is that?"

To be worth anything, Dolphin must give Admin's TOTAL control. Geez, it's their bloody site, yet they don't have any control over what others can do to it. Members or users can literally block everything, but admins are given virtually no control at all.

Having got that off my mind, let's focus on your suggestions. I agree that it would be perfect if a new member had to specifically request access to explicit content, but without re-writing the core, how can that be implemented? Only a Mod developer with experience can possibly answer that, but here's a very raw suggestion:

• Current Privacy Groups are: Public, Members, Friends Only. Another group called Adult Content could be implemented.
  • At sign up, a prospective member can be asked: "Do You Wish to View Adult Content" Y/N (As you suggest).
  • In the same way members can control who sees specific profile blocks via the yellow keys, Admin's should have the same power when creating those blocks. - Who sees what!
  • When a member writes an explicit blog or posts explicit photos, they must be encouraged to select "Adult Content Viewing Only". If they don't, admins should be given a simple path to delete or move the content to the appropriate privacy level (preferred).  If you have the Log on as User mod, you can changes photos, blogs etc to "Friends Only", but if you have thousands of members, there's got to be better control.

None of this is rocket science. It's all to do with planning and the developers deciding where they want their script to go in terms of end use.

Quote · 14 Aug 2017

Current Privacy Groups are: Public, Members, Friends Only. Another group called Adult Content could be implemented.
At sign up, a prospective member can be asked: "Do You Wish to View Adult Content" Y/N (As you suggest).
In the same way members can control who sees specific profile blocks via the yellow keys, Admin's should have the same power when creating those blocks. - Who sees what!
When a member writes an explicit blog or posts explicit photos, they must be encouraged to select "Adult Content Viewing Only". If they don't, admins should be given a simple path to delete or move the content to the appropriate privacy level (preferred).  If you have the Log on as User mod, you can changes photos, blogs etc to "Friends Only", but if you have thousands of members, there's got to be better control.

Absolutely agree this is the place to bounce ideas off the mod experts / development team and hopefully get insight and feedback. Otherwise it's like shouting at yourself in the mirror -- sure it looks like someone else is engaged but its really just you all alone Wink

I don't think this would require core changes. Other mods have added more controls and such. And we have ability to control which fields are present during joining, editing profiles, settings, etc. We also control when new content is added (thru the class files in administration sometimes) which fields are required. Again, a YES/NO button set required to click by user for ALL submitted content should be a simple mod. Then with that additional parameter perhaps using your privacy group suggestion (or backend filter) we can achieve this much needed feature.

Again, maybe (possibly likely, LOL) I'm missing something but it seems like a straight forward mod one of our top mod developers (I know you're listening and lurking -- MODZZZ or AntonLV) could pound out and make some money on.

If not maybe they can explain the hurdles to achieving it.

Quote · 16 Aug 2017

I would suggest to do this the following way:

https://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/age-restricted-content.htm#243519

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 19 Aug 2017

That won't work for me because my site is already 18+ All I want is the ability for Admin to have the same control over the yellow keys that members have.

I want Admin to be able to control who sees what in a profile and the easiest way for me to do it is for Admin to set certain profile blocks to "Friends Only" That way, Admin can specifically create profile field blocks that general members can't see until they become a friend of the member concerned.

I cannot understand why this control is given to members, but not to Admin.

As Dolphin is shipped, a member can set whole chunks of his/her profile to friends only. This can literally destroy a site, so I've stopped people from using the keys. If Admin has control, many interesting variations of the site would be possible:

In my case, every member would be able to  see every profile, but not see adult content in that profile if they don't want to. Having control of the keys would allow me to do this.

Quote · 20 Aug 2017

I would suggest to do this the following way:

https://www.boonex.com/forums/topic/age-restricted-content.htm#243519

Thanks Alex. The only problem is this doesn't cover things like photos, videos, comments, forums posts and such clearly. Again the ideal would be any uploading or posting of anything site wide would have an additional required YES/NO parameter where member has to click if it contains any mature content.

I'll see if I can make that option you posted link for can work until someone comes up with the preferable way

Quote · 21 Aug 2017

Bumping this because it hasn't received an acceptable informed response. I think it warrants some expert input from Boonex or a top notch developer like Modzzz.

Quote · 13 Sep 2017

I have implemented Adult Content Filter, however it requires quite a bit of file modifications.

Bumping this because it hasn't received an acceptable informed response. I think it warrants some expert input from Boonex or a top notch developer like Modzzz.

Paypal email is jeromemingo@gmail.com - http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/modzzz
Quote · 14 Sep 2017

@Modzzz, I don't think any of us expected this to be easy. 

Are you suggesting we need to get you to do it, or will you onsell the hacks like Antonv does with a few of his?

Either way, can you tell us what the filter does, because we all have different or additional needs.

I for example, also need the ability to take the yellow profile key actions away from my users and make it a feature that can be used by admin only.

Quote · 14 Sep 2017

I have implemented Adult Content Filter, however it requires quite a bit of file modifications.

@Modzzz, yes you've got me excited at the prospect of a good solution. 

As I mentioned, ideally I'm looking for a universal yes/no required button for any submitted materials/content. If submitter clicks YES then only users who opt to see mature content would see it.

Definitely interested in your ideas/skills on this.

Quote · 14 Sep 2017

This would really need to become part of the core code so that upgrades don't wipe it out since a lot of files would need to be modified.  Plus, Boonex's new policy on core file modification of modules means that it can not be offered in the Market.

Back in the early days of social networking sites, Yahoo had Yahoo360.  Yahoo360 allowed members to mark their profiles as "Adult" and the members would check a box in their settings if they wanted to see adult sites.  Of course Yahoo360 was different from Dolphin.  Dolphin has content broken down in different modules; so you will have to modify each module.  It will mean that upgrading Dolphin will not be as easy and you will need to note where each modification was made because if Boonex upgrades the code, then you have to reapply those modifications.

Boonex will work their arse off to implement some worthless bit into Dolphin but will ignore such demands as real time comments and being able to have Adult content filtering.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 17 Sep 2017

The feature to allow Admin to manage Profile blocks (and take away such access from members) is a part of the Profile Privacy module so you can purchase that module to get that functionality.

The Adult Content Filter module will be posted shortly and will allow flagging and hiding adult content by clicking a Flag button in the Actions block of various modules (most of the default modules). It involves some code modification in each module where the functionality is implemented. My work schedule has been set back a bit due to some hiccups stemming from hurricane IRMA but I will package and post it in short order.

@Modzzz, I don't think any of us expected this to be easy. 

Are you suggesting we need to get you to do it, or will you onsell the hacks like Antonv does with a few of his?

Either way, can you tell us what the filter does, because we all have different or additional needs.

I for example, also need the ability to take the yellow profile key actions away from my users and make it a feature that can be used by admin only.

Paypal email is jeromemingo@gmail.com - http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/modzzz
Quote · 17 Sep 2017

The Adult Content Filter module will be posted shortly and will allow flagging and hiding adult content by clicking a Flag button in the Actions block of various modules (most of the default modules). It involves some code modification in each module where the functionality is implemented. My work schedule has been set back a bit due to some hiccups stemming from hurricane IRMA but I will package and post it in short order.

Awesome. If it works like we wanted/need then that will be a welcome and quickly purchased mod.

Now about that Point module update scheduled for 9/16 release...

Quote · 17 Sep 2017

I'd like something like this as well, but not just for users marking whether there is explicit content or not, but the ADMIN getting to decide what is seen by whom, more than what we already can. So one part is user decides whether they are uploading explicit content, but then more admin control/ease over who gets to see that explicit content (membership, level, friends, group membership, etc), and DEFINITELY need the Profile Privacy mod- those keys for members and not admins is ridiculous.

Quote · 18 Sep 2017

I've purchased the mod, but I won't be able to install and test it until tomorrow or Wednesday. It should do most of what I want so I'm really looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Quote · 18 Sep 2017

I've purchased the mod, but I won't be able to install and test it until tomorrow or Wednesday. It should do most of what I want so I'm really looking forward to giving it a whirl.

If you have never done a module that requires doing a lot of code changes, be sure to document.  I suggest that you rename the original file with an extension that helps you to know why the file was changed and leave that on the server.  Then make the changes required to the original file.  You might also want to document this in a file say; site.changes.txt.  Then later when you need to do a Dolphin upgrade, you can easily know which files you changed because the changes will need to be reapplied to any file updated by the Dolphin update.

Quote · 18 Sep 2017

I was called out to develop this module. Now here it is. Adult Content Filter.

Quote · 26 Sep 2017

I was called out to develop this module. Now here it is. Adult Content Filter.

Definitely a huge benefit as you've got it set up now. I tested it out on your demo page.

Unfortunately for my needs it misses the mark. As I explained it I need a required Does this contain any mature content? YES/NO checkbox when someone uploads or posts anything. This triggers the filter so that it is or isn't displayed in any place (Home page, wall, main module pages, etc) based on the related

Include Unfiltered/Mature Content: YES/NO checkbox

That members have to click during enrollment and can easily check on or off as desired. Think of it as a NSFW (Not Safe For Work) filter users can control.

Again your module as completed is and should be beneficial for many. I just need it to be more seamless and not a voluntary, after upload go back and click a button, process. 

Quote · 27 Sep 2017

I will be more selective about which ideas I jump on to develop. This turned out to be a waste of my valuable time as there is no interest for the module developed.

Quote · 9 Oct 2017

I will be more selective about which ideas I jump on to develop. This turned out to be a waste of my valuable time as there is no interest for the module developed.

I won't presume to speak for anyone else, but regarding what was discussed in this forum post and what you developed -- they were completely different. So perhaps paying attention to what was asked and what you delivered is a better idea. 

Quote · 9 Oct 2017

Actually, I was interested in this and thought about it during your sale.  The problem is, the group that I admin is simply running low on funds.  I help maintain a social group and while everyone has to be 18 or older to join not everyone would be interested in seeing adult content.  Therefore, having a way to say, "My page is adult related" is needed although we don't have that many members at present.  We have had members to post adult images and that is acceptable under the rules; they just should not show up to the general population in the outline unless they have indicated they wish to see adult content.  We request at this time that any adult content be in albums for friends only.

There have been people in the past that wanted such a module, including myself.  They may have moved on.  Please keep the module in the market as future sales may improve.

I don't know if you remember Yahoo360 (yahoo was stupid in abandoning it)  Yahoo360 had ways to mark profiles as adult.

Quote · 10 Oct 2017

I've been out of the loop for a while due to shocking Internet access. Windows or some other guilty party just dummped a 15 gig (and counting) download on my system and chewed up my entire months bandwith on the first day. I'm now being charged $10 a session for usage. Oh for Australia's great Internet service, recently rated "poorer than Kenya!"

I've only glanced at Modzzz' demo, but from what I can see, it only does part of what I need as well. As with Geek_Girl, my site is shared by over 18's some of whom insist on posting explicit content, both as photos, blogs or stories. Having an action button to declare it adult content is fine, but a number of my members want to be able to log in to a non explicit site. The problem is, they want to see ALL profiles, but not the adult content in them. non adult profiles. 

That's why I also need to be able to isolate certain profile fields for adult content only.

My solution to the problem is far simpler, but neotekcorp's solution also suits me. I can get away with using "Friends Only" as my adult filter because that would mean a person would have to become a friend of another member before they could see his or her explicit material. People posting explicit stuff need only mark it friends only and the problem is basically solved for me - however - there is NO provision for 'Friends only" field blocks, just members or guests.

I know my suggestion will work for me because I'm on a site that uses such a facility. If I make an explicit item Friends Only, any member can view the rest of my profile and gallery without being bombarded with stuff they don't wish to see.

I purchased Modzzz Privacy module when he told me that the privacy keys could be taken away from a members control and passed over to admin. Unfortunately it makes no difference to the overall site. All it does is allow admin to make some of his or her own profile fields friends only, but that's it. Admin cannot set what fields are friends only across the board so this is a completely useless module for me.

In a few days I'll communicate privately with neotekcorp and draw up a precise picture of what we both need. Maybe Geek_Girl may also wish to offer her input.

Quote · 10 Oct 2017

I've been out of the loop for a while due to shocking Internet access. Windows or some other guilty party just dummped a 15 gig (and counting) download on my system and chewed up my entire months bandwith on the first day.

MicroCrap was doing that with the Windows 10 upgrade.  Supposedly they changed it so that it only did incremental downloads.  My guess is that Microsoft did it.

Quote · 10 Oct 2017

That's not correct. Admin can configure block Privacy on any Profile (not just their own)

I purchased Modzzz Privacy module when he told me that the privacy keys could be taken away from a members control and passed over to admin. Unfortunately it makes no difference to the overall site. All it does is allow admin to make some of his or her own profile fields friends only, but that's it.

Quote · 10 Oct 2017

I will give you that functionality later today.

there is NO provision for 'Friends only" field blocks, just members or guests.

Quote · 10 Oct 2017

That would get me off the hook and allow me to open my site. I need field blocks that appear when friends view a profile and don't appear when regular members visit.  

Quote · 11 Oct 2017

@johnk42 - Since the Profile Privacy did not meet your needs, I have given you access to the Block Access Control Module which has additional functionality not available in the Page Access Control module such as limiting page block access to friends, subscribers etc.

Quote · 13 Oct 2017

I apologise for a slow response but I did thank Modzzz personally. I fixed my computer problem by reinstalling Win 10, but the excess monthy bandwidth charge was in excess of $50. I only came back online yesterday and here's a quick update.

The Block Access Control mod works perfectly and I thank Modzzz for making it available. It contains far more than I need, thus I'm unable to test it fully. However, for me it's a huge step which allows us to finally open the site.

What it does (in part) is this:

We can now create one or more blocks of profile fields that can only be seen by certain people, which in my case is friends only. I've created a couple of fields where a member can tell friends his or her inner secrets without the public being aware. My members are warned that by becoming friends with someone, they may expose themselves with explicit material. This means that people wanting to visit a squeaky clean site can do so without being exposed to smut.

As with @GeekGirl, we've restricted "adult" photos to Friends Only as well. Although this may not be a perfect solution, it's ideal in my situation.

After a quick look at the module, it seems that Modzzz also allows for Male, Female and Transgender blocks which should prove very useful for dating sites.

I haven't tested these yet, but you should now be able to create separate blocks for Male/Female/Transgender questions and hide unwanted blocks from people not interested in them. To me, this is an amazing breakthrough for Dolphin because all profile questions can be gender orientated.

I'd love to implement this feature on our site and I do plan to give it a try. I'm not quite sure how I can do it because we're using Tabbed Profile blocks supplied by a third party, but I'm sure there'll be a work-around.

How does it work:

We have 4 tabbed Profile Blocks; General, Location, Interests and Friends Only

All Block headings can be seen by everyone, but when a member clicks the Friends Only tab, they don't see any information unless they're a friend.

Think about it, the uses are endless. Just keep in mind that we're running a heavily modified site but it works perfectly for us. If you're not using third party Tabs, the results may be even better.

First impressions: Excellent!

Quote · 24 Oct 2017

@johnk42 - Thank you for the feedback on the Block Access Control module. 

Quote · 16 Nov 2017

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.