Keeping Hosting Fees Down...

Question:  When we setup our Dolphin site, how do we keep from generating huge hosting fees above the monthly subscription fee?

We have about 1500 members ready to register immediately, so what happens when traffic is really picked up and everyone is playing and trading pictures, videos and music.

We need a mechanism in place that will prevent us from going over the costs of the hosting.  Hopefully I'm making sense.

Maybe one of you smart people can explain this better for me.

The last thing we want is to be hit with a large $$$ fee for hosting.

Rich

Quote · 15 Jun 2008

I couldn't understand you. explain.

----
Quote · 17 Jun 2008

Hi<

Find a host with unlimited bandwidth and hosting space. Hostmonster have unlimited for around $7.95 a month.

Cheers

Max

Quote · 11 Jul 2008

Hi<

Find a host with unlimited bandwidth and hosting space. Hostmonster have unlimited for around $7.95 a month.

Cheers

Max

av, just for future reference my man, there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. that would be like buying a new car and the dealer telling you unlimited milage on a tank of gas. there is a limit. ask about the specs on their data center. this will tell you a lot about what type of security that can be expected from that server. not saying that &.95 hosting is bad, but you all need to be careful. the other problem is this. if you start bogging down system resources, these people will drop your account. read the TOS, they are allowed to drop you with no explaination, and no warning.  i would ask how many other dolphin sites are hosted on this server as well since if three or four of you are all running just say 3000  members, which is a site that shouldnt be on shared hosting, and between the three or four of you, 95% resources are being used, guess what, if there are 500 hosting accounts on that server, the dolphin sites are getting dropped. do the math and understand why.

well i have rambled on about this enough. yall be good to yourselves.

later,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 11 Jul 2008

Hi Dosdawg,

Thanks for that info. I am just learning about the concept of unlimited hosting. It seems that you get unlimited hosting and bandwidth but not unlimited CPU cycles...

I noticed when I logged into C-Panel that I can view Server Status and I see that currently Server Load is 4.88 (8 cpus)

Do you know at what number the server load would be considered high?

Cheers

Max

Quote · 11 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.