ftp files transfer

Hello I have just set up Dolphin 6.1 over the past 2 days and after the installation

I can not:

1. move any file from or to my server with ftp that has the Dolphin 6.1 installed

2. delete any files on my server with ftp.

This is driving me crazy, I can move the same files to another account on the same server but not the account running Dolphin.

Since I cannot delete any files I have to go in through SSH and edit the files there which is becoming a real pain. Any ideas on this would be very helpful.

I have searched the forums and read others having similar problems, I know it is not the server or the ftp program because I have no problem placing these files in any other account that does not have Dolphin 6.1 installed in it. I have mod_rewrite working on other sites on the same server so that is no problem.

Quote · 27 May 2008

I think the ".htaccess" may be the problem

----
Quote · 27 May 2008

I thought that may be the problem also so I removed them all except for the one in the root with the mod_rewrite and still no go.

I also moved those files to another account with similar folder structures and was able to move files with ftp. Dolphin is one strange system

Quote · 28 May 2008

That is a permissions problem and you've lost control of your permissions via ftp.

How did you apply permissions? Dolphin is picky when it comes to assigning permissions.

And my next question is how were the permissions applied against the files. Was it via ftp or a Web?

Updating my BoonexNerd.net site.
Quote · 28 May 2008

You know jtadeo thats what I have been thinking also but I can't see where it should have done that or how to get it back. I had other video scripts on this domain with no problems but then thought maybe Dolphine would be a better solution Foot in mouth

When I first installed and tried to set the file permissions with ftp from the start it wouldn't let me change the file permissions, so from there I had to go in with SSH and set the permissions. And even at that point some didn't set so I had to go to each file and set it.

I guess I have to find a way to reassign permission to this account and to this accounts ftp. Why would a script be programmed in this manner I have no idea.

If anyone has had to go through getting permissions back to there account please let me know.

Quote · 28 May 2008

Yes, it may be a permission problem check whether the permission of folder is 755

----
Quote · 28 May 2008

I have checked and the file permissions are set correctly.

I don't think it is file permission in that way I think it is server side killing the permission to this account why it would do that once this script was uploaded is what is confusing me.

To test this I SSH in with the regular user account and I couldn't perform any tasks so then I logged in with the root users and SU into this account and I was able to do anything I wanted. This leaves me to think some setting on the server has changed in regards to this user account permission settings.

Quote · 28 May 2008

Then it seems you have installed dolphin with root previlages.

----
Quote · 28 May 2008

I had to use root SSH to install it if that’s what you mean otherwise it would not have installed. It is my dedicated server so if something doesn't work from user privileges then I would use SU to go in as root, but then the question would be why doesn't it install from user? This is the only script I have ever had on my server that this has happen with so it is obviously something to do with Dolphin. But what could it be?

I see on these forums a lot of the members really try to help each other which is great but do the people who build this script ever get involved, or only with people who pay them first?

Quote · 29 May 2008

my man, my man,

it will install from user level. the other thing you can do since you have it installed as root with root bein the owner, you need to chown the files. no big deal done every day.

now you should have been able to ssh into the user account and install dolphin from there. i do it about three times a week on here. there is absolutely no reason why you cant do that. now instead of firing off on dolphin, could you take a deep breath, and "CHECK YOURSELF" maybe you dont possess the skill level required to install dolphin. maybe you needed more help prior to getting started.

if you still need assistance, as you can see, you have some of the tops dogs of this community sitting at the ready to help you. praveenky hit it on the head twice, he stated that you had permission problems, but the problem was deeper than that, it was ownership problems, and more precisely "END USER ERROR". i am not posting this to mash on you bud, i think i also blamed everything on this script and fired off a few hate mails back when i started using v5. matter of fact i was kicked off the boonex blog, which at that time, it was wordpress, and may very well still be, havent check it in ages. my point here is, dont be so accusatory, take a look at what is actually going on, and then this issue can be asssessed and a solution will be derived from your adequate description of what the problem is and how it came about.

fins to you,

DosDawg

When a GIG is not enough --> Terabyte Dolphin Technical Support - Server Management and Support
Quote · 30 May 2008

hey dawgg thats what i was thinking all while reading CHOWN baby Chown!

I have video tutorials to help you mrpowless.com
Quote · 30 May 2008

DosDawg I think you need to read before you open your mouth but if you like sticking your foot in it so much well then knock yourself out.

1. It doesn't install from user (One of the main points of this topic)

2. The account is not set to admin rights (meaning user still has the permissions)

3. I don't have it installed as root but need to use root to install (Please learn the skills to know the difference before wasting my time)

4. Since you didn't take the time to read anything I will help you, praveenkv1988 has already asked about this and I have replied all permissions are set right on files and on account.

5. If it would install from user level then you wouldn’t need SSH to set file permission. Hey after all you do so many everyday you should have known that especially with all of your skills. For someone so seasoned why didn’t you offer a solution? (There is no script that should require SSH commands to set file permissions in this manner. Many shared hosting accounts do not even offer that to users with only user level rights. Right there tells me that there is an issue obviously you are more worried about that brown nose than dealing with the problems.)

6. It is my server and I have 20+ domains all with turnkey type scripts on them, this is the first time that I have come across a script that changes a users rights. If you think it is just me well although you don’t like to read just look through the forums and you will see post after post about problems and I will bet many of them are because of this same problem as posted here.

7. As far as the community is concerned you will see in other posts of mine, thank God for this community if it wasn’t for them then I would have dropped this script a long time ago. I can tell from some of your other posts you are very narrow vision, I am not posting that to mash you on the head but you need to try to open your eyes a little and look further and ask where are the builders of this script? Why don’t they offer some help to these problems after all they built it, they could have saved me, praveenkv1988, and many others a lot of time. Maybe my money isn’t on the table right now so I am not worth it to them?

There is soooo much more to say but I don’t feel like wasting my time. I think you really need to “CHECK YOURSELF” if you would like to offer constructive criticism then understand what you are talking about first, otherwise try asking a question.

My posts about the short comings of this script are constructive criticism, you don’t seem giving the builders all kinds of verbal abuse nor do you see me giving a single community member any static over any help they have offered.

I am not you, you chose to run around like a mad man posting on the BoonEx blog and fire off hate mail, well you are probably part of the reason the builders do not offer help here, they don’t feel like dealing with things like that.

Me I chose to post the good and the bad, I wish someone did it before I joined because then I would have been able to make a more educated decision rather than just what I was able to read and demo on the website.

Quote · 30 May 2008

I find a few places I can only connect with sftp....blowfish aydda yadda...have to dowload delete and reupoad files or they go all funky.....this is my late late nite terminology ///whats your ftp app?

I have video tutorials to help you mrpowless.com
Quote · 30 May 2008

I wanted to save this for a second post

You mention “my point here is, dont be so accusatory, take a look at what is actually going on, and then this issue can be asssessed and a solution will be derived from your adequate description of what the problem is and how it came about.”

Well from the beginning of this thread how much more of an assessment could a person offer? How much more of an adequate description can be given?

The files do not transfer through ftp that’s the problem others have made suggestions and I did what they have suggested and responded until there are no more suggestions, thank you for their suggestions.

Please do me a favor although this is a community and I can not stop you in the same manner that BoonEx was able to (I wish I could maybe BoonEx will add that as a feature) don’t make posts or offer any help on my problems you obviously do not know how to.

Now I understand why BoonEx kick you out of their Blog

Quote · 30 May 2008

mrpowless you just brought me to my reason for coming to this post today, it was strange yesterday I was going through the files with SSH and started to do some of the suggestions about .htaccess files and I deleted them again, the strange part is after deleting them then deleting a file with SSH I was able to upload through ftp but only 1 file at a time if I tried to upload the same file overwriting the file already on the server then I would get the permission denied again until I used SSH to delete it again.

I tried the same thing today and I only get denied no matter what I do, so everything has to be done through SSH again.

For ftp transfers I am using ACEftp3

Quote · 30 May 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.