Encouraging Members to Upload Photos on a Dating site...

From the member.php page...I have to click on photos in the nav menu...
then I have to click on manage albums..then I have to click on my photos in that album...
then I get to the "You have 2 photo(s) in this album. Click here to add more."...

Am I getting this right? 4 clicks to get to the photo upload screen? How can I bypass all of those
clicks from the member.php to lets say...one, and have them uploaded to the Profile photos album?

I know I could just click the avatar link to upload a photo, but I really want to get away from that
as it does not encourage people to upload photos in a dating community...personally I would love to
completely get that off my site but that's a whole other can of worms..

I want to run a dating site that encourages members to upload photos and make it as easy as possible..without the horrid Avatar module...

I tried linking the url http://sitename.com/m/photos/albums/my/add_objects/{profileNick}-s-photos/owner/{profileNick}  but that just creates the album '{profileNICK} .... which I don't want either...

I'm willing to pay to make this happen as I am losing money trying to figure this out myself ..

My-Account.jpg · 73.9K · 763 views
Edit-Profile.jpg · 105.1K · 434 views
Quote · 21 Mar 2012

I have a member direct photo upload mod at my site I made a few months ago. If you want to try it out and if it does what you want, I can pack it up for you as a simple mod.

free.

Updating my BoonexNerd.net site.
Quote · 21 Mar 2012

If anyone else wants to try out the direct photo uploader and are currently a BoonEx member I will set your membership to verify so you can bypass the PayPal verification. I am only doing this for the next 24 hours. This will give you access to all my mods from the time you sign on that I make for free and preview to news ones I create.

To date, all the mods I've put out are all free.

Quote · 21 Mar 2012

I will look at your sitetonight to see how it works... we may be interested.

Quote · 21 Mar 2012

@jtadeo I would be interested in this as well.  I created an account on your site, but I am unable to locate the button that you spoke of.

I have been struggling with this as well.  I was just going to use the Avatar as the photo area and rename the language strings to reflect photos.  I just need one album anyways for a dating site.  Just my two cents =P

What's next to fix D8 issues? D9? (=
Quote · 21 Mar 2012

Hey guys, instead of signing up at my nerd, I think the easier thing would be to post the mod here under my account.

However, if you want to try it out, make sure you sign up with the same username as you have with Boonex. I post my mods at my nerd site for testing. I will be doing verifications manually.

The direct upload for photo, video and blog post is in a Member Quicklinks block on the front page of the nerd site. It's a really simple mod.

I'm doing installs and code today so I'll check in now and again.

Quote · 21 Mar 2012

Here's what it looks like:

boonexnerd.net free mod direct upload

It then takes you to:

boonexnerd.net - direct photo upload free mod

If you do want to try it out, you can from the nerd site.

Quote · 21 Mar 2012

Thank you

Quote · 22 Mar 2012

The instructions for jtadeo's quicklinks mod are as clear & concise as it could possibly be unlike a lot of mod's in the boonex market. I already had a PHP block added from one of deano's mods, so I skipped the SQL insert & table edit part of the instructions & just entered the code directly into the block.

I've always wanted to add shortcuts like this! It's simple, clean & works perfectly. Thank you James! Here is what mine looks like..

Quicklinks

Quote · 23 Mar 2012
Quote · 23 Mar 2012

Awesome Job pretty much what I was looking for. Jtadeo did a great job with this Cool

Quote · 23 Mar 2012

Thanks for the kind comments everyone :D

I've posted the tutorial and thanks to all who tested it out.

Quote · 24 Mar 2012

For any who are interested, here's the complete tutorial on how to do this: http://bit.ly/GEyYqn

Quote · 24 Mar 2012

Wow - missed the deadline for the offer but I assume that tutorial has everything?  And I can start with Deano's PHP block right?   This really should be part of the product - good job Jtadeo!

Quote · 25 Mar 2012

CALTRADE: That's correct.. You can use deano's PHP block as I did & skip the SQL insert & table edit instructions. It works perfectly.

Quote · 26 Mar 2012

I'd like to share a drop down list of shortcuts to all the Boonex module "My" content which I added to my Quick-Links block. ie. My Blog, My Photos, My Events, My Wall etc..

Enjoy!

Quick-LinksMy Stuff

Add the following code right above <!--START YOUR CONTENT ABOVE--> in jtadeo's script:

<select onchange="javascript:window.location.href=this.value;" class="objectivekb">

<option /> My Stuff </option>

<option value="ads/my_page/">My Ads</option>

<option value="blogs/my_page/">My Blog</option>

<option value="m/events/browse/my">My Events</option>

<option value="m/files/albums/my/main/">My Files</option>

<option value="m/groups/browse/my">My Groups</option>

<option value="m/membership/index" />My Membership</option>

<option value="m/photos/albums/my/main/">My Photos</option>

<option value="m/poll/&action=my"> My Polls</option>

<option value="m/sites/browse/my">My Sites</option>

<option value="m/sounds/albums/my/main">My Sounds</option>

<option value="m/store/browse/my">My Store</option>

<option value="m/videos/albums/my/main">My Videos</option>

<option value="m/wall/">My Wall</option>

</select>

Quote · 28 Mar 2012

omg - this is totally awesome.  I love that this community is publishing free mods again.  Thanks Jtadeo and jabadoo!

Quote · 28 Mar 2012

It then takes you to:

Hello.

You have nice tutorial out there, but it doesn't work for me!

Once i'm in that part, that i should rename "Sample PHP block" to "My PHP block" i cannot edit it, because it says that "Block contains nothing" And freezes page.

What to do?

Quote · 29 Mar 2012

Make sure you've dragged the PHP Block into your Page column. When you click on the block to enter the informaton & it gives you a "Block has no properties" message REFRESH the page with your web browser & click on the block again. It should work.

It then takes you to:

Hello.

You have nice tutorial out there, but it doesn't work for me!

Once i'm in that part, that i should rename "Sample PHP block" to "My PHP block" i cannot edit it, because it says that "Block contains nothing" And freezes page.

What to do?

Quote · 29 Mar 2012

Okay it's working now. There is "Upload photo, video and blog".. How can i add more?.. LIke "Upload file" Thanks.

Quote · 30 Mar 2012

@jabadoo - wow, very cool. This is great :D

@CALTRADE, you are a veteran member and at my site you are verified. I will be doing a series of free verifies for ones I know. So I'll do that at some point in the next couple of days.

Keep the share flowing.

Good stuff :D

Quote · 30 Mar 2012

Jtadeo: Thank you. =) I'm happy I could contribute something.

E180: Just add the following code above <!--START YOUR CONTENT ABOVE--> in Jtadeo's script:

<a style="text-decoration:none" href="m/files/albums/my/add_objects/$sMemberNickName-s-files/owner/$sMemberNickName">
<button class="form_input_submit" style="padding:5px;" type="button">Upload Files</button>
</a>

<a style="text-decoration:none" href="m/sounds/albums/my/add_objects/$sMemberNickName-s-sounds/owner/$sMemberNickName">
<button class="form_input_submit" style="padding:5px;" type="button">Upload Audio</button>
</a>

Quote · 30 Mar 2012

Does anyone know where this tutorial is?  I just finally got around to trying it.

What's next to fix D8 issues? D9? (=
Quote · 8 Apr 2012

Jtadeo's tutorial can be found at http://bit.ly/GEyYqn

Let me know if you need any help with it.

Quote · 8 Apr 2012

Thanks to Jtadeo & Jabadoo for this!

Just a quick question..., since I've placed the php box in the 'Profile' page, when I log in and go to other members' profiles, i can see the box on their profile page too.

Is there a way to only display it to myself on my own profile page?

Quote · 7 Jul 2012

sorry for sooooooooo late post but there is a straight way, Add new item in menu builder. just put these in the URL field

Photos:

m/photos/albums/my/add_objects/{memberNick}-s-photos/owner/{memberNick}

Videos:

m/videos/albums/my/add_objects/{memberNick}-s-videos/owner/{memberNick}

Sounds:

m/sounds/albums/my/add_objects/{memberNick}-s-sounds/owner/{memberNick}

Good luck all enjoy :)

so much to do....
Quote · 7 Jul 2012

Thanks Prashank, but that would be on the nav menu.

The issue is about putting these buttons in a block which will only be displayed to yourself on the page where you put it. :)

Quote · 7 Jul 2012

cmon the solution is here already for blocks. What can i do about it?

Thanks Prashank, but that would be on the nav menu.

The issue is about putting these buttons in a block which will only be displayed to yourself on the page where you put it. :)

so much to do....
Quote · 7 Jul 2012

Oh, currently i've put the block on the profile page.

When I go to other uses' profile, i can see the box there too.(So it displays for all profile pages)

Only want the block to be seen by me when i go to my own profile page.

Quote · 7 Jul 2012

put this in top of your block codes

if($this->oProfileGen->_iProfileID != getLoggedId()) {

return;

}

so much to do....
Quote · 8 Jul 2012

Thanks!! That worked nicely! :)

Quote · 8 Jul 2012

I tried adding the block and I get the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /inc/classes/BxDolPageView.php(607) : eval()'d code on line 37.  Line 37 is  echo $html; 

Code is:

//jt note - get the NickName based on the member id
$p_arr = getProfileInfo($theMemberID);

//jt note - pass the field name that you want now that we have a db array
$sMemberNickName = $p_arr['NickName'];

$html =<<<HTML
<!--- Page: index , Block Caption: JTadeo QuickLinks 1 START--->
<div class="boxContent" style="padding:5px">
<div class="clear_both"></div>
<div class="dbContent">

<!--START YOUR CONTENT BELOW-->

<a style="text-decoration:none" href="m/videos/albums/my/add_objects/$sMemberNickName-s-videos/owner/$sMemberNickName">
<button class="form_input_submit" style="padding:5px;" type="button">Upload Video</button>
</a>

<a style="text-decoration:none" href="m/photos/albums/my/add_objects/$sMemberNickName-s-photos/owner/$sMemberNickName">
<button class="form_input_submit" style="padding:5px;" type="button">Upload Photo</button>
</a>

<a style="text-decoration:none" href="blogs/my_page/add/">
<button class="form_input_submit" style="padding:5px;" type="button">Add Blog Post</button>
</a>

<!--START YOUR CONTENT ABOVE-->
</div>
<div class="clear_both"></div>
</div>
<!--- Page: index , Block Caption: JTadeo QuickLinks 1 END--->
HTML;

echo $html; 

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 21 Sep 2012

I found it, the space before HTML;  Better to find these errors on one's own anyway, they stick better that way.

Quote · 22 Sep 2012

I found it, the space before HTML;  Better to find these errors on one's own anyway, they stick better that way.

Well i tested the code you pasted above, and it worked fine on my site. I also do not see a space before HTML in your above posted code. So there aparently is a mismatch between what you were actually using and what you actually posted here.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 22 Sep 2012

Well i tested the code you pasted above, and it worked fine on my site. I also do not see a space before HTML in your above posted code. So there aparently is a mismatch between what you were actually using and what you actually posted here.

The forum editor may have removed it.  I originally copied the code from jtadeo's blog post on his website.and when I pasted it into PSpad the space was there.  PSpad does not remove any leading spaces on a line; pretty formatting and all that.  I did not pay any real attention to the space in front HTML; since supposedly the code worked; and it does work.  A big thanks to jtadeo for helping me to understand how to insert PHP blocks.  I am using a tool to insert the bits into the database instead of phpMyAdmin but one still should understand how ti works.

Quote · 22 Sep 2012

Thanks a lot for this, one nosy question though. How to make it with the language keys, so that My Blogs and others (not only buttons but also jabadoo's addition) show proper language depending on a member's language?

Quote · 2 May 2013

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.