Video Quality Terrible After Upgrade to 7.0.3

I finally got around to check out the cam chat on my site.  The video quality was awful.  It was all hazy and bright.  I tried it on my other computer with a different cam and the same issue.  I also tried video comments and posting a video.  The quality of video was 100 times worse than it was before the upgrade.

Please, any advice?  What happened?  Why is my video quality much, much worse after the upgrade to 7.0.3 and what can I do?

No Signature at this time.
Quote · 5 Oct 2010

And yes all my video qualities are set to 100%.

This is absolutely crazy!

Quote · 6 Oct 2010

Hello

It's very strange, because nothing was changed in the chat and recording application from the previous version.

I think it's some problem on RMS server. It might be overloaded.

Quote · 6 Oct 2010

Okay, thanks Rayz!

I will do some further "investigating".

This video quality issue is definitely something I need to address on my site.

How can a site like mine compete with other free cam chat sites when they have much better audio/video quality?

Quote · 6 Oct 2010

@ Jason Van  Was your issue ever resolved?

Quote · 21 Oct 2010

For me, "video comments" as wel as "record video" quality has always been horrible.  Looks like bad foreign overdubbed movies where audio and video never sync, there are stutters in the playback, and slow downs and speed ups  as if it is trying to work but can't.  This is the case with three different computers and webcams at two different locations.  It is disgusting and it has never been resolved.  I believe this is a codec problem in the conversion from live webcam audio/video stream to a file on the server.  I do some video conversions in my profession and from experience this happens when one extension can't be converted to another correctly .  BOONEX PLEASE HELP.

Someday, Someway.
Quote · 21 Oct 2010

I also don't know what you are looking at. With 7.03, it looks like they have resolved the issues with video uploaded using H264. The thing is totally configurable if you are willing to do a little dabbling in the header_inc file. I reset mine to the old qmin 3 - qmax 6 and got an amazing piece of video, the only problem was You have to have an OC3 connect to view it.

I then uploaded the video again, this time with qmin4 - qmax30. The result was a video that looked as good as the first one but streamed at a much lower rate. It all comes down to what your users need to get the video without it stuttering. Your own PC internet speeds might also be tripping you up if they are too slow and you are testing with it to trying to get it set up properly.

I found this link that aptly explains the whole qmin qmax thing.
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/228055-qmin-qmax-for-XVID-%28ffmpeg%29-what-s-the-catch

The videos I just posted in my 7.03 install are frikkin beautiful. I love the way I can adjust things to perfectly suit my needs. If you want to see what I mean, go here and try these two videos. They are HD each converted with a different q setting.

http://usspeedwayseries.com/m/videos/home/

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 22 Oct 2010

Funny.. i didn't expect to come here. I was wondering about that all day today.  I tested with the video comment a lot lately and I did notice they are more blurry, bright, and hazy than before.  I remember clear it wasn't that bad.  Strange.  If anyone happens to fix this, please let me know!

I think there is an issue with ffmpeg. I honestly don't know.  All i know they're not as good as before.  :/

Quote · 22 Oct 2010

@SkyForum - My video uploads look great, too.  The problem I have is with video comments/record from a webcam,  They have never worked right for me since 6.14 and I've been with two hosts.  If you have the time, please do a test and let me know how it looks to you. 

@patrick81 - So, your issue is only about visual quality and you have no audio/video syncing problems, and the videos you record with your webcam don't stutter like the old 56k modem videos? 

Thanks to both of you if you can help.  It has been really frustrating trying to track down why this occurs for me and Boonex doesn't acknowledge a problem.

Someday, Someway.
Quote · 22 Oct 2010

I'm going on a trip this weekend and will be breaking out my laptop. I'll give them a whirl and report back

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 22 Oct 2010

I am having problems with webcam recording and video comments too. they stutter and are out of sync. it helps when turning off h264

it did come out ok once when trying on my home PC but on laptops and some macs it's all messed up

especially on cams with a HD cam with 1080P capabilities

Quote · 23 Oct 2010

This is taken from another post I was following....

I have an patch and fresh install and both video commenting has been improved better!

The quality is better than I ever anticipated.

You can see a demo of a profile comment video made with cheap webcam, took about two minutes to encode the 30 second video.

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 23 Oct 2010

@Drexell - Glad to know I'm not crazy and someone else has experienced this.  As in your case, there have been a few times when this didn't happen, but that is rare and I can't duplicate it.  H264 on or off makes no difference.  Tried three different computers/webcams at two locations, one is a laptop with a built in webcam, others are desktop with USB webcams and high-speed cable internet access.  REALLY NEED A SOLUTION FOR THIS.

@newton27 - What is your patch?  Can't see your demo without joining your site.

Someday, Someway.
Quote · 24 Oct 2010

@newton27 - What is your patch?  Can't see your demo without joining your site.

site has been set for guest to view profile now.. try again

regular patch, but lots of server tweaks.

Quote · 24 Oct 2010

you up video is laggin behind the audio, can you do one with say snapping or clapping so we can see if it is in sync?

and what is the patch? and what server tweaks id you apply?

setting quality to 90% helps a little any less and it gets pixelated

Quote · 23 Nov 2010

you up video is laggin behind the audio, can you do one with say snapping or clapping so we can see if it is in sync?

and what is the patch? and what server tweaks id you apply?

setting quality to 90% helps a little any less and it gets pixelated

I will do another one like you want and repost... I have a separate test site now  running 7.0.4 and will submit to that site..

I will post the link after the video has encoded..

http://duvallocals.info/d74/Michael_Facebook

Screenshot-70.png · 130.6K · 361 views
Screenshot-69.png · 51.6K · 362 views
Quote · 23 Nov 2010

I too am having this issue ONLY with Video recording and Video Comments. No matter what system, PC or mac, or webcam. I have had the same issue and this is my second server and we are running 7.0.3

Changing the quality, or turning on and off the H264 doesn't help and I have been asking for help with this for a while now. I hope someone can help us!

Quote · 23 Nov 2010

@jaywalkguy - As you can see from my post above, I have been complaining about this for the last year and have been ignored by Boonex.  Others like yourself have also had this issue.  I have yet to see anyone offer proof that it works, like posting a quality video created using video comments or video recording.  I don't get it.  Why won't Boonex reply to this?  This is an important feature and bound to upset members who become disappointed when they try to do this.  As I noted above, the problem is not with video conversion from uploaded videos.  Mine work great.  The problem is with being able to convert a stream from a webcam and microphone.  Maybe there are circumstances under which it works, like some secret server settings.  I'd like to know what they are.  I have tried three computers with various webcam/microphone combinations from two locations and they all don't work.

Someday, Someway.
Quote · 24 Nov 2010

The only problem for now is video recording on Mac.

We can't reproduce other problems. If you can describe in details how to reproduce the problem we can try it again and maybe we notice something - without able to reproduce we can't fix it.

Also Flash is really sucks! they change video codecs every time - it happens for different Flash versions and even the same versions on different OSes are using different codecs, sometimes even commercial codecs! it makes a lot of problems to convert video recorded in flash!

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 15 Dec 2010

By the way qmin qmax values to control video quality can be changed in flash/modules/video_comments/inc/header.inc.php file.

Sample values for greater quality are already posted.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 15 Dec 2010

Also Flash is really sucks!

HTML5 and WebM is the best treatment for your Flash video woes.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 15 Dec 2010

Video and video_comment quality is set in the inc/header.inc.php

but what about the CHAT video stream ? Is it possible to have a bigger size then 140x100 pixel ? I know there is the Magnifier that zoom but it only look like it<s a 140x100 digitally zoomed quality. If I want 320x280 pixel, How can I change it in the files ?

Thanks for the help

Quote · 15 Dec 2010

Hello

So far there is no possibility to change the dimensions of video chat panes.

Quote · 20 Dec 2010

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.