Advice regarding buying a Mac

Noticed a few people looking at buying a Mac so they can re-brand the iOS version of the app. Thought I would post a little bit about what to look for when buying a Mac.

As of today (Tue 10th December 2013) you can get away with a Intel Core 2 Duo (2gb RAM) and it has to be running 10.7.5 but you CAN NOT connect iOS7 devices to it as xCode will not recognise them. You can still develop apps that are compatible with iOS7 but not use any of the iOS7 features. So really your are targeting iOS6 but apps will run under iOS7.

To run 10.7.5 you need 2gb RAM.

It won't be long and Apple is going to force you to use the latest version of xCode and that means running the latest OSX (Mavericks). Now a Intel Core 2 Duo WILL NOT run Mavericks.

At the moment am still using a 2006 Black Macbook running 10.7.5 and submitting stuff fine to the AppStore, I am dreading the day when Apple requires the latest xCode and that will mean me buying a new Mac.

The good thing is I just picked up a second hand iMac for my son for £200 and that is a Intel Core 2 Duo. I then went on the crucial website and got 2gb memory for £26, so for little expense (in the UK at least) you can be up and running.

Hope this is useful to some people.

Dave

Quote · 10 Dec 2013

if you're computer savvy enough to build your own, you can make a hack mac! 

PC parts, mac install... I know a few people have done it, works out about half the price of a Mac, runs Mac OS and performs like the real thing. Just missing the apple logo :-)

Quote · 11 Dec 2013

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.