Dedicated Servers - part 2

9 Feb 2014

Boonex Hosting | FlatRateHost Data Center

A comprehensive security concept ensures that all data is protected from theft or damage due to environmental influences. All crucial values in the server rooms (temperature, humidity, power supply etc.) are permanently monitored by central building control systems.

The data center is watched 24/7 by security guards. Additionally, all sensitive areas are monitored by cameras. And to assure that no unauthorized persons get near the servers, a modern access control system has been installed.

If a cable should melt somewhere or smoke develop for other reasons, it will be identified by a fire early detection system. In combination with fire warning devices, it is possible to effectively avoid fire hazards for the servers housed at data center.

Also too much heat or humidity is avoided in the server rooms thanks to fully automatic air conditioning.

UPS (uninterruptible power supply) devices and voltage filters ensure constant power supply. That way, not only hardware damage is prevented, but also data availability always guaranteed.

And even if the power supply by external suppliers breaks down, redundant diesel generators will take over, which are powered from two 52,000 l diesel tanks that can be refueled during operation. Thus, the best possible autonomy regarding power supply is assured.

• Fully automatic room climate control and air moistening   
  • UPS and voltage filters   
  • Fire protection   
  • 230V power supply   
  • Power consumption included   
  • Early detection system for smoke   
  • Server locations    Europe, USA
  • 24 hour security service   
  • Video surveillance   
  • Admission control   
  • 2 diesel generators with 52,000 liter diesel

ISO 27001 certification

TÜV Saarland has certified data center according to the international standard ISO 27001. This standard defines the requirements for the establishment, implementation, operation and monitoring of a documented information security management system (ISMS).

The coveted TÜV seal ISO 27001 confirms the use of an efficient security management to protect customer data. This means that all data stored and processed at the data center is protected from unauthorized access or damage.

Datacenter Star Audit (DCSA)

The data center received the highest possible rating of five stars in Datacenter Star Audit’s new Version 3.0. The DCSA is an objective and independent quality seal for data centers.

The DSCA 3.0 is a completely new audit, revised in 2013. Data centers are assessed by at least two independent auditors according to predetermined criteria.

The audit primarily focuses on availability and security of the infrastructure in data centers. Hence, the number of stars awarded indicates the kind of infrastructure and the measures provided to ensure security and availability.

My data center meets all requirements for a 5-star data center. This award by an independent authority is an excellent reference for the high level of dependability and security of the data center.

http://www.boonexhosting.com/data-center/

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
9 Feb 2014

so, would your datacenter be considered HIPAA compliant?

caredesign.net
9 Feb 2014

RE:

so, would your datacenter be considered HIPAA compliant?

I don't think it would matter for you.  if you go through a reseller, your security level goes to crap, because the people that run the reselling business become a part of the HIPAA compliance..... not something you want to deal with.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
10 Feb 2014

@ professorSr

I am just gathering the facts of whether my Data Center is indeed HIPAA compliant.

Also, BoonexHosting | FlatRateHost is actually in the process of being ICO registered and approved...

The Data Protection Act 1998 requires every data controller (eg organisation, sole trader) who is processing personal information to register with the ICO, unless they are exempt.

This means we (BoonexHosting | FlatRateHost) also follow very strict guidelines and security measures in regards to sensitive data and how data is handled etc etc.

We will be displaying our Badge at our websites when fully approved.

If you look into this more and the facts I think you will find that we would in-fact not effect your HIPAA compliance.

DedicatedServer4You.com -- BIGGEST Range of Dedicated Servers at the Lowest Price!
10 Feb 2014

RE:

I am just gathering the facts of whether my Data Center is

With all due respect, it's not your data center.  It just happens to be the data center owned by the company whose servers you are reselling. 

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
10 Feb 2014

I am not claiming to own the Data Center ... I should have re-worded that part.

Also, with all due respect, how do you know I do not have / own my own rack space and equipment and, or who I am partnered up with ?

not your data center.

10 Feb 2014

For mission critical applications like the professor's, there is no way on earth I would deal with a "Hosting Company" that did not have these two things:

1. A telephone number

2. A street address

Perhaps the fact that resellers exist wouldn't bug me as much if they called themselves what they really are.... "Server management companies".   There's nothing wrong with offering server management services... some people need  that sort of thing.  It just bugs me when resellers represent the data centers assets as their own, when they are not.  Dealing with a reseller for dedicated hosting is risky for reasons that should be obvious.

10 Feb 2014

Our address is clearly displayed on our websites, we have ticketing system that is monitored around the clock (last ticket was answered within 2 minutes!), We are also available via Skype around the clock and have business number available to clients only.

10 Feb 2014

RE:

Also, with all due respect, how do you know I do not have / own my own rack space and equipment and, or who I am partnered up with ?

Because I use the same data center as you do in St. Louis, and that's not how they roll.

10 Feb 2014

I am currently linked with 3 Data Centers: Strasbourg, St. Louis and Chicago

I am also possibly looking at working with Data Center in the UK too at some point this year.

10 Feb 2014

Yeah.... I don't use the data center in France.... saw no reason for page requests to take a 10,000 mile hop for no reason.

10 Feb 2014

So wait,, if I went and rented a rack at one of the god knows how many data centers here in Houston that rent you the size rack space you need and you fill it with what you want, and they give you a pass card that lets you access your equipment anytime you want. If I did that and I was just getting power, space, and network connection from them but owned my own servers, firewall, switch, blah blah blah.. would I then be a "reseller" or would I be my own "hosting company" ?? .. just asking

My dad has a rack here in Houston for his company's servers and stuff and the one he is at is nice and never loses power even when we get the weather we are known to get at times ..  but he still has to put in tickets if the port they have him on has speed issues,,, one time it was interference on the cable they had the telco and the host network people and him meet up to sort it.. so again beings you are technically your own "hosting company" .. are you really if you have to turn in tickets even then to get certain things working?

and I can tell you for fact that when it comes to dealing directly with a "hosting company" its not always as sweet as it sounds, I worked for ev1 servers/ rackshack for like 5 years and I know that at times it is just luck of the draw with the tech you get, the people working the shift you are calling and stuff like that cause there were idiots there that would purposely blow people off and put them through an endless loop of trouble tickets just cause they was having a bad day... one would think that in most cases a "reseller" might have a top manager or super tech on speed dial or something and able to get things done ...

Only real issue I have with resellers is the cost, but if that cost includes managed servers and managed by people who know the platform my sites are running on then it would be worth it to some people, like me, I am as lazy as they come at times it would be nice to just send a email and go to sleep knowing when you wake your issue would be sorted.

MY SITES http://viptopia.net general social networking | http://www.rangerschat.com/ niche site
10 Feb 2014

RE:

So wait,, if I went and rented a rack at one of the god knows how many data centers here in Houston that rent you the size rack space you need and you fill it with what you want, and they give you a pass card that lets you access your equipment anytime you want. If I did that and I was just getting power, space, and network connection from them but owned my own servers, firewall, switch, blah blah blah.. would I then be a "reseller" or would I be my own "hosting company" ?? .. just asking

You'd be someone with colocated servers.... the worst kind of hosting in my opinion.  Colocation is OK for your own stuff, but to sell others use of your hardware, can turn into a horror story.

10 Feb 2014

If I did that and I was just getting power, space, and network connection from them but owned my own servers, firewall, switch, blah blah blah.. would I then be a "reseller" or would I be my own "hosting company"

Yes, you would be considered a web hosting company.

one would think that in most cases a "reseller" might have a top manager or super tech on speed dial or something and able to get things done ...

Exactly, competition is BIG and it's important to be on top of your game!

I am as lazy as they come at times it would be nice to just send a email and go to sleep knowing when you wake your issue would be sorted.

That's where good companies come into their own. I deal with the headaches so you don't have too ;)

10 Feb 2014

One would think that someone's job here is to come in and smack people around.  Don't be afraid to smack him back. ^_^

Geeks, making the world a better place
10 Feb 2014

Colocation is OK for your own stuff, but to sell others use of your hardware, can turn into a horror story.

But that is exactly what the company that is providing your server is doing. They are selling you use of their hardware. So in my opinion. This is the same thing.

I actually used to own my own data center. My own building, my own equipment. But that was back in the day when a couple of T1's were good enough. I had to give it up when bandwidth demands started climbing. Cost of running data lines into my area was to costly.

Ok. Different subject. But anyhoo. If your co locating the equipment to use for the purpose of selling use of it, then it's the same thing.

https://www.deanbassett.com
10 Feb 2014

LOL ... these threads would not be the same without HL kicking someone here in the nuts! Even though I have watched it happen for years, I do respect HL's opinion.

No need for smacking ... I think I have responded very well and give good answers,  I can handle someone trying to piss on my parade ;)

Don't be afraid to smack him back. ^_^

10 Feb 2014

@ professorSr

The Data Center is indeed HIPAA compliant. The Data Center provides the physical, environmental, network and infrastructure security you need to protect patient information and meet HIPAA compliance standards. The server also has to be HIPAA compliant. This has to be done by the administration through an appropriate setup.

We can provide / ensure:-

1. Transmission Encryption: PHI is always encrypted as it is transmitted over the Internet. (SSL certificates and HTTPS for all web-based access to PHI)
  2. Backup: Is not lost, i.e. is backed up and can be recovered. (can be stored and accessed offsite)
  3. Authorization: Is only accessible by authorized personnel using unique, audited access controls (Covered)
  4. Integrity: PHI is not tampered with or altered. (Covered)
  5. Storage Encryption: Is encrypted if it is being stored or archived.
  6. Disposal. Can be permanently disposed of when needed.
  7. Business Associate: You must have a HIPAA Business Associate Agreement
  8. HIPAA Compliant Physical Security. (Covered)
  9. Setup private IP addresses
  10. Setup private firewalls

I am also taking a looking all other factors / requirements in full ... Neither HIPAA nor HITECH call for specific technical measures to assure data is available, accurate and secure however some of the extra steps will help when passing a HIPAA audit

10 Feb 2014

RE:

But that is exactly what the company that is providing your server is doing. They are selling you use of their hardware. So in my opinion. This is the same thing.

It's not the same thing when the "company" that owns the colocated server is just a few people, or maybe even a single individual.  They simply don't have the same technical and financial resources to deal with adversity, as a company with many millions of dollars in revenue.   That's all a moot point anyway, because colocating a server is more expensive than renting one.

10 Feb 2014

RE:

Only real issue I have with resellers is the cost, but if that cost includes managed servers and managed by people who know the platform my sites are running on then it would be worth it to some people, like me, I am as lazy as they come at times it would be nice to just send a email and go to sleep knowing when you wake your issue would be sorted.

But.... you'll miss out on cool deals like the first six months at half price when you deal directly with a data center.  Really.. once you get everything set up, there's not a whole lot of management to do.  For several servers I set up, I haven't had a single issue in two years.  The only 'management' I've done was upgrade Plesk, but only because of nag screens.  It's all a lot easier than many people believe. 

10 Feb 2014

I have been running my own dedicated server for almost 6 years now. And like HL said, it is a lot easier than it may sound. Having Root access did scare me at first, but in reality, I rarely even access my server. using the WHM, maybe once a week; using CPanel, maybe once a month; using SSH, only when my database encryption acts up because the server restarted from an update and I have to register a new key. Other than that, I have phpMyAdmin bookmarked, and is the only thing on my server that I consistently use.

I have bad feelings about leaving my last server provider because they were so good to me. Any issues that I had they resolved ASAP and their customer service was A+. But, after they did some research, they regrettfully informed me that they would not be able to provide what we needed for HIPAA compliancy. So, off to liquidweb I have gone. New server should be up tomorrow, so let's see how it all goes.

caredesign.net
10 Feb 2014

I hear you, it's true there far worst hosts / providers than good and it's important to be sure about who can take care of your needs ... Good luck with LiquidWeb and do keep me in mind for future ref ;)

I have bad feelings about leaving my last server provider because they were so good to me. Any issues that I had they resolved ASAP and their customer service was A+.

10 Feb 2014

One would think that someone's job here is to come in and smack people around.  Don't be afraid to smack him back. ^_^

I don't think that in all the YEARS that WE have known HL that we have ever seen him "come in and smack"  ANYONE around HL is kind of a dying breed these days, the type that will give ya a big ol truth pill that just might be hard for some folks to swallow... funny how you give people more than a normal dose of unsweetened honestly and all of a sudden the truth is called "abuse" ... when you really think about it that is all it is that he does that rubs certain people the wrong way, I speaks the truth even at times when people are trying to do everything in their power to keep from looking at the truth and want to hear anything but.

But I have never seen him just flat out "attack" someone, well cept Newt, but those two have always fought like that... oh and that one new guy that came in that one time saying how dolphin sucked, he hated andrew, and was making threats all over the place, but to be fair on that one I think it was me that kinda jumped then attack button first but not sure, I do know it was me posting his real pics from his real facebook with his real name and all his real family that finally settled him down... and got Nate to send me one of those all to famous private emails LOL  .... oh and well theres that thing that HL has with the wrecker driver guy that get pretty bad at times,, but I think that is more on the lines of mutal insults more than it could be seen as any "attack" .. no I can pretty much say the only time I myself have witnessed any "attacking" was the Christmas of 2010 when jon/DDos Dawg went off his med and completely bonkers and posting in these forums how he was gonna die or kill before he let them continue to take the "Christ" out of "Christmas" ...   pretty sure those holiday fireworks were fueled by massive amounts of meth or something.. but never none of that from HL that I have seen.

MY SITES http://viptopia.net general social networking | http://www.rangerschat.com/ niche site
10 Feb 2014

RE:

that thing that HL has with the wrecker driver guy

Naw.... he doesn't bother me.  I do however, think the old fossil should go back to Jurrasic Park.

10 Feb 2014

LOL ... Love is in the air as always ;)

10 Feb 2014

RE:

Dammit, I spelled Jurassic wrong in a post I can no longer edit.  This gives me great stress.

10 Feb 2014

it's ok ... it happens to me all the time! Your error is now forever documented at BoonEx ... have a nice day now ;)

RE:

Dammit, I spelled Jurassic wrong in a post I can no longer edit.  This gives me great stress.

10 Feb 2014

RE:

But.... you'll miss out on cool deals like the first six months at half price when you deal directly with a data center.  Really.. once you get everything set up, there's not a whole lot of management to do.  For several servers I set up, I haven't had a single issue in two years.  The only 'management' I've done was upgrade Plesk, but only because of nag screens.  It's all a lot easier than many people believe. 

Maybe you guys do not totally understand what my usage of the word "lazy" in this last post really defined, I am and I do mean the LAZIEST PERSON ON THESE FORUMS, Look I know that once a server is configured and up and going that it runs itself pretty much, You might have to update this here and there, might have to install a program now and then and yes I know all those task are simple and easy and even I can do most of them with eyes closed even. Its not those task that keep me from doing them myself unless there is no other option, and no one will do it for me, and I MUST have it and all time is ran out then I end up doing them myself. Like I said though it is really not those task it is the thought and the fact that I and a few of you on here know that for me and something about MY LUCK even the smallest ordinary every day tweak for most people can snowball in to a freaking week long, no sleep, one equal and opposite reaction right after another. It has happened to me so many times that I think it has given me some sort of phobia about it, that I tend to often describe as "Lazy" .. just one example was the weekend stickam close and all the millions of members that were on there was passing my link out and stickam itself went as far as to put my sites url on their closing page as a new choice.. I dropped 2 grand that weekend and one server reboot would cost me 3 days worth of traffic and cause me to lose thousands and thousands of potential members. I had upped flashcoms to unlimited, and to handle that amount of traffic I grabbed up a huge beefy ded with a 1 gig unmetered pipe from some place that HL gave me. Newt, Pranshank, and Myself were all working like jack rabbits on meth moving the main site over to a beast of a ded that we got for a good deal from the german hosting company, and was perfect for the site itself only had to go with HLs choice for the media server cause the Germans didnt offer a 1 gig unmetered. anyways why we was moving the site itself and Newt was getting the media server up and I was switching out the flashcoms 100 user chat for the unlimited the free 6 month hosting  on the FMS that flashcoms gives all new orders to test and try (which is shit by the way) we was just using that till we got the red5 up, Well Flashcoms on works Mon - Fri 8 to 5 uk time, so say if on a Friday the media server goes down sometime after noon then you are screwed cause only way you can get it restarted is turn in a ticket and no one is there to answer tickets till Monday morning. Was the first week like I said that stickam shut down and I was a shoe in to catch a huge chunk of their regs UNTIL THAT MEDIA SERVER went down and the snowball effect began, Newt had the red5 near done so when flashcoms went down I already new ti was down for the count till Monday but with Newt close as he was to being done I wasn't 2 worried was thinking a hour or so max and we would be right back on our own new monster machines.. NO, AS I SAID DARWIN'S LAW ALWAYS IS IN FULL EFFECT WHEN IM IN THE SERVER DO VERY COMMON JOBS. we redirected the chatter as they were coming to Rayz as a back up while we linked everything up, did the name change and stuff like that.

We seen in the Flashcoms module settings the input for the media server address and port, so we figured taking the chat off their FMS and putting it on our new Red5 was just that simple, NO NO NO.. we all 3 took turns imputing and testing over and over and it would just not connect no matter what we did. SNOWBALL by that time Rayz hit 120 chatters,, well if you ever wonder what Rayz can handle before it starts acting goofy the answer is 120 with about 50 on cam.. as it was crashing and the new chat would not connect to the new server all day that Friday, only think we could think of was the server with the 1 gig pipe we was using for the media server had problems, or maybe it was cause we decided to go with unbuntu.. we was trying anything at that point so we reinstalled like 2 different OS's that night, and after the other 2 went to bed i stayed up and put in trouble tickets for them to look at the ports and stuff,,, anything i could think of,, Saturday was all over again Rayz was still crashing and people was saying "man this place blows lets go find a new STABLE home" and leaving in large numbers right and left. I was totally freaking and losing it at that point, yelling, feeling like crying, panicking, feeling like I totally dropped the ball.

never will forget Pranshak trying to make me feel better by saying "well all else fails dont worry Monday they will restart the FMS and you will be back online that way." And at that point I new it was a huge fail, all the money spent on upping to site for traffic was a waste cause all those people would find one of the other millions of chat options out there, and on top of the money spent on the new servers, setup cost, new chat package, the loads of modules we bought to take advantage and make joining and sharing the site as simple as possible all wasted on top of all that all the money that would not be made off the traffic we would had still be getting to this day had it all just went the way it was suppose to and not having that 3 day window for people to make other choices.. the thought alone still makes my skin crawl and when i seen it go down and was nothing i could do to fix it that there pretty much ruined me for conference of ever thinking anything done with the server will be "easy and painless"..   easy and painless ended up costing me as much as a Vegas vacation without the pleasure of Hangovers, Hookers, and recreational vacation drug use.

When Monday came and the site was a mess and only half working ghost town, we found out the reason the new chat package was not connecting to the new media server was cause the media server for flashcoms not only needs to be set int he admin panel but also has to be compiled in the module from the source by them and them only.. the part they forget to tell you when you first buy!

I know I babbled wayyy to much on this post but that day/weekend still haunts me a year later. It is that ordeal alone that makes me more than glad to pay upfront for someone else to manage/do the SIMPLE task on my servers and save me the anxiety and panic attacks of fearing a repeat of something like that ever happening again!.. still to this day I think that had I not rebooted the main site server and thought it would just reconnect to the media server once it got back up then maybe the FMS we had no control over would not had crashed, I think it was that reconnect attempt from site to media server that cause it to crash but have knwo way of knowing but if it was the case then a simple server reboot ended up costing me several thousands of dollars in never fully used resources, and lost money from steady traffic and amazing site growth .. one freaking server reboot!!.. so yeah for some people managed is needed for sanity, for sleep ability, and need for if nothing else just to have someone else to blame huge fails on instead of carrying around the feeling of total failure in my own mind! PEACE OF MIND CAN BE PRICELESS

11 Feb 2014

Like I said, businesses such as mine are there to deal with the headaches so our clients don't have too ... nature of the work!

I would like to point out that my business/es is not the regular hosting business ... in-fact we are much more ... we taken on a range of web related services and give peace of mind and satisfaction in many web related areas including growth, development, and project management! I am also super experienced and skilled with Dolphin based websites unlike many hosts who claim to be and even the BoonEx recommended hosts.

There are not many 'hosts' like I or offer what I do ... I am like a 'one-stop solution' for many people and cover all areas.

11 Feb 2014

Also, 'cheaper' is not always better ... in-fact it most times turns out to be the worst choice!

I would rather ask fair rates and provide clients with honest, quality and reliable services and in-turn have endorsements from them (which always leads to much more) then trying to grab clients with ultra low service rates that you could not even afford to feed your pet with and end up hating what you do.

11 Feb 2014

LOL, yeah I often have nightmares of my past mistakes also ... they was tuff learning curves.

I know I babbled wayyy to much on this post but that day/weekend still haunts me a year later.

11 Feb 2014

Tussery, do you still use that 1GBps connection for a media server?

11 Feb 2014

Tussery, do you still use that 1GBps connection for a media server?

nahh turns out that was wayyyyyyy over kill lol,, I would had defo used it had that weekend went right and chat would had kept the numbers growing into the hundreds,, i did keep it for like 4 months and it was awesome.

see what happened after that Monday came around and flashcoms were back in the office and told me about the media server ip and port needing to be compiled, well we had them do it for use cause we knew that server there that you hooked me up with was way better then even their 1000 dollar minimal license FlashMediaServer even, but once we got it there every time anyone connected it there was a blank error block that they had to close BEFORE they could use chat, they said "oh yeah that is the red5 bug we have not fixed yet since the last update" .. so i told them that was messed up and i didnt want my members seeing some bug each and everytime they came to my chats on the site.. so what they offered after i explain to them how much money they costed me was they gave me 9 free months of hosting and agreed to recompile and install and get my red5 going after the bug was fixed and I was done with their free hosting offer.

So to test that super server I moved Rangerschat to it where we do the radio call in show from and I streamed our show live from that server instead of the 3rd party audio stream service i was buying that was EXPENSIVE,,, dont know if any of you all know this but audio uses more bandwith and cost more but buy audio streaming servers then it does video even, dont know why but that is the case,, anyways,, I was able to set the show to stereo 128 bit with hundred of listeners attached and never once had an issue with connection speed or any bandwith issues what so ever no matter what i did,, that 1 gig unlimited connection was the REAL DEAL!..  I might get me another one later this year if reefmasters takes off like I think it is going to, if I can get the forums sorted in time though of course.

11 Feb 2014

I would also like to add that 'cheaper' is not always better ... in-fact it most times turns out to be the worst choice!

Considering Zarconia is the other host involved in this discussed and even used in comparison by you, I am hoping this statement wasn't directed at us........was it? Foot in Mouth

Just for the record:

- Yes, we offer affordable hosting that doesn't break your bank.

- Yes, we do beat most of the competitors.

- Yes, we offer exceptional support regarding Dolphin, server related issues, and even other software outside of Dolphin.

- Yes, we are extremely experienced in Dolphin.

- Yes, we are a real business licensed and registered LLC.

- Yes, we have BoonEx members that can and will vouch for the service and support they receive at Zarconia.

- NO, we do NOT sacrifice quality for quantity...

Although you are throwing a hellova sales pitch here, I feel that after 2 pages worth of postings, it's falling upon deaf ears. A simple 'Hey, if you are interested in hosting with me, send me a PM' may be more sufficient. Just a friendly suggestion from one host to another :)

Nothing to see here
11 Feb 2014

NO NO ... I am meaning Hosts in general with their $3 specials etc which turn out to be very little in resources and support.

Considering Zarconia is the other host involved in this discussed and even used in comparison by you, I am hoping this statement wasn't directed at us........was it?

11 Feb 2014

Originally it was sales pitch ... the rest is just the facts as I see it ... I think for many Dolphin webmaster it's important to understand that not all hosts with their brilliant deals turn out to be the shining light they claim.

Recently I have had more people contact me looking to get away from their host after realizing they know nothing about Dolphin or what it takes to support Dolphin based sites.

I was also just pointing out that when I give a cost for hosting really we are offering much more also ...

Although you are throwing a hellova sales pitch here, I feel that after 2 pages worth of postings

11 Feb 2014

Understood. And thanks for the clarification Laughing

Nothing to see here
11 Feb 2014

Maybe what I have said is 'falling upon deaf ears' but I feel better anyway putting my point across and letting others see that not all hosts, support and similar are the same. Some people have much more to offer and give than other people. There are also some hosts etc getting away with blatant murder while there are some that work their asses off to provide good quality services including yourself, Nathan, myself and others ...

11 Feb 2014

well I can tell you both I would never go with either of you two most likely,, and not cause I dont feel the service you offer is not quality or nothing like that.. but cause I like you 2 dude and both always been cool with me and its just best not to mix business with that, i mean helping each other out here and there is one thing, but relying on an individual to provide the platform so many of us have so much time and money in. Its just best next do business with people you associate with, and the real weighing factor here is being what I seen go down with terabyte and How John did people, and seeing how some people lost EVERYTHING, and just hearing some of the guys explain what they lost far as work, and money, and time, and .. just hearing them say that after explaining they in some cases paid up to a year in advance so they could rest easy. How John was able to be "friends" with alot of these people, then turn around and know they was about to lose like that and not even give the "friends"  atleast some sort of warning, or heads up or something,, yeah I would not want to be in a part of something like that, cause I would spend way too much valuable time after words trying to seek revenge or something,, so thinking like that I know it is best stick with the brick and mortar host.

11 Feb 2014

Yeah I see what you are saying for sure ... My core work (web services) is actually outside of BoonEx and most of my clients do not know me from here hence we have not got to become friends and business is business.

FYI, I am a brick and mortar business as well as online ... I have a physical business address and provide physical services too.

11 Feb 2014

Tussery, back in the old days when I thought video chat was cool, I beat the bushes for a long time, and fdcservers.com was the best deal out there for 1GBps connections.  Now they offer 10GBps connections.  One thing about fdcservers, is that you can set up a media server with a 100MBps connection, and if you ever need to upgrade to a higher speed, they just swap out a card.... you don't have to move to a new server. 

If I were one of these hosting companies around here, I'd set up a shared media server on a 10GBps machine.  It would probably handle a hundred fairly busy Dolphin chat sites without choking.... not sure there is that many busy dolphin sites though. 

Now... I care almost nothing about video chat.  I guess that's why we got you.

11 Feb 2014

Oh trust me I know. I too was a victim of the whole 'John' thing and I really hate (but understand) when people compare what he did to those of us who offering Hosting as well. I even met up with him and had a few beers and laughs and still got hosed.

You do make a good point in regards to keeping business and personal separate. Some can, some can't. I have to do it all the time here at BoonEx. Just because I am active here in the forums and have established a online kind-of friendship over the years, doesn't mean I won't ban someone (friend or not) in a heartbeat. And I have done it. 

When I created Zarconia and brought in Nathan as my partner, it was made extremely clear that what we do at Zarconia has absolutely nothing to do with what we do at BoonEx in regards to preferences, favoritism, etc. Zarconia is our business, BoonEx is our free time hobby.. end of story.

Nothing to see here
11 Feb 2014

For me this was actually a combination of things ...

• sales pitch
  • answering ProfessorSr's questions
  • views and facts
  • banter
  • defending myself against HL ;)

Although you are throwing a hellova sales pitch here,

11 Feb 2014

In-fact scrub my post ^^

99.9% of this was about defending myself against HL lol

11 Feb 2014

that's a damn fine idea ...

If I were one of these hosting companies around here, I'd set up a shared media server on a 10GBps machine.

11 Feb 2014

RE:

that's a damn fine idea ...

Yes it is.  Even with 100 sites using it, the average streaming data rate available per site is still 100MBps, which should handle 20-25 concurrent video chatters.   The server cost per site would be about $7/month + a one time $30 setup fee. Then just decide the up-charge.  The break even point would be about 25 customers if you charged $27 a month for the service.

11 Feb 2014

Tussery, back in the old days when I thought video chat was cool, I beat the bushes for a long time, and fdcservers.com was the best deal out there for 1GBps connections.  Now they offer 10GBps connections.  One thing about fdcservers, is that you can set up a media server with a 100MBps connection, and if you ever need to upgrade to a higher speed, they just swap out a card.... you don't have to move to a new server. 

If I were one of these hosting companies around here, I'd set up a shared media server on a 10GBps machine.  It would probably handle a hundred fairly busy Dolphin chat sites without choking.... not sure there is that many busy dolphin sites though. 

Now... I care almost nothing about video chat.  I guess that's why we got you.

LMFAO  now you done it,, I'm drooling and was just over there looking and actually  clicked the "sign up now" button and had to force myself not to continue, I just know I am gonna have one of these by weeks end, thanks alot dude I was trying to get my overhead down before summer! lol...   I would never use all that bandwidth even with the cams on all of my sites up and going and doing a live radio show with hundreds of listeners broadcasting in cd quality stereo even..  I would have to sell off some like red5 resources or something to make it worth doing to even try to take advantage

Yeah I'm thinking I might order one tonight even, probably should just go to bed before i do

11 Feb 2014

RE:

Yeah I'm thinking I might order one tonight even, probably should just go to bed before i do

They got this one for $479 a month.  If you shared that with 50 others, your monthly server cost per user would be $9.58 and you'd have to charge them each a $12 setup fee to cover the $600 setup.  Let's just say you charged $20 a month for RMS with a one time setup fee of $20. If you  signed up 25 people, your monthly out of pocket would be zero.... anything over that is profit.  If you kept it at 25, each user would have a 400MBps RMS, and that's not bad for $20 a month.

11 Feb 2014

RE:

They got this one for $479 a month.  If you shared that with 50 others, your monthly server cost per user would be $9.58 and you'd have to charge them each a $12 setup fee to cover the $600 setup.  Let's just say you charged $20 a month for RMS with a one time setup fee of $20. If you  signed up 25 people, your monthly out of pocket would be zero.... anything over that is profit.  If you kept it at 25, each user would have a 400MBps RMS, and that's not bad for $20 a month.

Yeah I seen that one, lol the pipe on that one is pretty much more than anything that the server itself could make up on its own. Those are great prices for a media server if you could get enough traffic to use what you had to offer, think to go selling RMS to Dolphin people is the wrong way..  I say that cause take places like Flashcoms and Flash123 that sell better chat solutions for Dolphin sites, they charge crazy prices for media server hosting, Flashcoms alone charges 60 a month for a 50 connection and 100 a month for 100 connections.. crazy prices

Money would be in selling Red5 or FMS to the people that have those chats,. in alot of cases they are Dolphin people also.

but,,, the Flash Media Server licenses would require you and I both to remortgage our homes and sell a kidney or 2 to get one of those!

12 Feb 2014
12 Feb 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.