Developers

A mod forum is nice and it helps to keep questions about a mod in one place, but if several questions are not being answered and problems are not being solved ... what's the use of a mod forum ?

I still have following issues :

Is there a possibility to get the sub-categories on the restaurant homepage ? I know how to create a block, but I don't know the scriptline for sub-categories ? No answer and since everything in this mod is written in blocks and nothing can be shifted to other pages, no solution yet.

To change the country on the search form to Belgium only : still not solved

I would like to delete the field in the block where users can post their restaurant. Just the title and the button to show : the answer I got did not solve the problem.

I asked which files have been modified in the latest update, to avoid a new installation : no answer

I created an event for a restaurant. It is showing on the general worldmap as foodevent, but it is not showing on the map in the restaurant page. How to solve this ??? Solved by Solusoft but no mod update has been made by the developer.

Problem with the map-markers : solved by Solusoft, no mod update made by the developer.

Error in navigation for restaurant events and restaurant news, piece of script is missing. No answer, not solved.

I do not owe the developer and I do not want him to be there 24/24 for me, but I do need a solution for these problems and I don't want to bother other people anymore to solve them.

So please, take some time to look into these issues.

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

I know you are talking about me so let me address your post directly. You seem to get the wrong idea of what support means. No mod developer is obligated to provide you with code changes for every modification that you need for a module. Code modification is not support, it is customization request. It is your responsibility to customize a module you have bought. You can do this by yourself if you have enough skills or you can hire someone who is competent. Having said that, I am not opposed to providing help with code changes to clients. I have done that all the time in my hundreds of support forums. However, I do expect that you have enough basic knowledge of PHP and HTML if you take up the task to modify code.

I have provided several responses to you which you claim do not work (most likely because you are not doing them properly). I also asked you to send me the files that you changed to my support email so I can see what you are doing wrong and you ignored my request. Am I suppose to then log into your site and make all these individual changes for you ? To make matters worse you are combative and aggressive in your approach when asking for help.

Additionally you cannot expect to get immediate responses/resolution to every matter you mention. The issue you mentioned yesterday I am working on. I could not solve it yesterday because I had another client working with then. Anyone can check the support forum for the Restaurant module and see that I have not been unreasonable in trying to help you with your customization.

Paypal email is jeromemingo@gmail.com - http://www.boonex.com/market/posts/modzzz
Quote · 14 Jan 2015

No problem, I'll spend my time by comparing the old mod and the new one to find out where the code changes are. Every monkey can do that.

I'm not combative nor aggressive, just noticed that questions in your support forum are not adequately being answered, while posting them in this forum I have an answer within an hour.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the mod update.

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

A mod forum is nice and it helps to keep questions about a mod in one place, but if several questions are not being answered and problems are not being solved ... what's the use of a mod forum ?

Keep in mind that module developers may have full time jobs, and families.  Often the developer's team is just one, therefore, it can take time to get answers.  

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 14 Jan 2015

Is there a possibility to get the sub-categories on the restaurant homepage ? I know how to create a block, but I don't know the scriptline for sub-categories ? No answer and since everything in this mod is written in blocks and nothing can be shifted to other pages, no solution yet.

I would like to delete the field in the block where users can post their restaurant. Just the title and the button to show : the answer I got did not solve the problem.

I asked which files have been modified in the latest update, to avoid a new installation : no answer

I created an event for a restaurant. It is showing on the general worldmap as foodevent, but it is not showing on the map in the restaurant page. How to solve this ??? Solved by Solusoft but no mod update has been made by the developer.

Problem with the map-markers : solved by Solusoft, no mod update made by the developer.

Error in navigation for restaurant events and restaurant news, piece of script is missing. No answer, not solved.

I do not owe the developer and I do not want him to be there 24/24 for me, but I do need a solution for these problems and I don't want to bother other people anymore to solve them.

It sounds like you need to hire a full time developer to help you develop your site instead of relying on the module developer to rewrite the module for you; either way you are going to be paying and the module developer may be too busy to be your full time help.  If you do have a full time developer to help with your site and she/he can not do the modifications you are asking, then fire her/him and hire another one.  Of course it would be best to hire a developer that knows the Dolphin platform; a developer can be excellent in php but they need to know the functions and classes of Dolphin that exists; without that knowledge, the person has to spend a lot of time reverse engineering the platform.  

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

I am not opposed to providing help with code changes to clients. I have done that all the time in my hundreds of support forums.

I can certainly attest to this, Modzzz has done so for me many times and has always provided excellent support; often beyond what is required; and it certainly sounds as if this is the case in this situation.

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

I'm not combative nor aggressive, just noticed that questions in your support forum are not adequately being answered, while posting them in this forum I have an answer within an hour.

Of course, because Modzzz has to come in and defend the reputation when that time could be spent perhaps making the changes you request 

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

I have a full developed site, there is no problem with the Dolphin script. I just have some questions about the mod as it is. No need for re-rewriting at this point, just solving the problems which are there as I bought it.

Is it correct to sell a mod with errors in it ? Sorry if I'm a perfectionist, but that's the way it is in Belgium. No one visits your site twice when it looks disordered. That's totally unprofessional. 

Keep in mind that I'm doing profound testing of this mod, I didn't buy it to die under the dust. I guess no one did this before. So Modzzz will only take the benefit of this since he can sell a much better mod in the future.

And I will be the first one to rate it with 5 stars.

It sounds like you need to hire a full time developer to help you develop your site instead of relying on the module developer to rewrite the module for you; either way you are going to be paying and the module developer may be too busy to be your full time help.  If you do have a full time developer to help with your site and she/he can not do the modifications you are asking, then fire her/him and hire another one.  Of course it would be best to hire a developer that knows the Dolphin platform; a developer can be excellent in php but they need to know the functions and classes of Dolphin that exists; without that knowledge, the person has to spend a lot of time reverse engineering the platform.  

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

I have visited the support forum you linked to and you were not just asking for any errors to be fixed but for customisations of the module for a specific purpose of a site you are building.  When it comes to modifying a module for a specific purpose, that becomes customisation of the module and the developer is not required to oblige.  The developer is justified in asking for compensation for these customisations or in saying they will consider it for a future release.  You can either be satisfied with the response from the developer or hire someone to make these modifications; these customisations, to the module for you.

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

@Annabel

I counted over 20 posts you've made to modzzz's restaurant module support thread in the last week.  In itself, responding to 20+ posts in a support thread for a single product is no trivial chore.  What complicates things in my opinion, is that many of your posts are a quote of a quote of a quote or a quote .... etc..... which makes your posts in that support thread virtually unreadable. It creates a visual chaotic mess that is nearly impossible to follow.

I would suggest that in the future, you take the time to trim your posts to only the pertinent information.  No one wants to sift through a sea of verbal clutter to find the crux of the post. 

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 14 Jan 2015

Sorry if it the forum became messy, I tried to keep the subjects together Embarassed

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

The only 'customisation' (as you want to call it) I asked for was to set Belgium as default country without the select option because I only use Belgium, no other countries are needed to be selected. This can easily be done in the Dolphin script, but in the mod it is put in a special block and it has to be modified in the mod script. If Modzzz had told me he didn't want to do that, it was ok for me as well. That leaves me with a page where one has to select a country when there's only 1 country to select. Which looks stupid. Meanwhile he sent me a message where he told me that he reproduced the solution on his demo site and it works. So I will try it again on my site now.

All the other issues are problems in the mod, no question for customisation.

You may also have noticed that there was already an update of the mod and another one is coming.

As I said, I will be the first one to rate it with 5 stars when the errors are fixed.

I have visited the support forum you linked to and you were not just asking for any errors to be fixed but for customisations of the module for a specific purpose of a site you are building.  When it comes to modifying a module for a specific purpose, that becomes customisation of the module and the developer is not required to oblige.  The developer is justified in asking for compensation for these customisations or in saying they will consider it for a future release.  You can either be satisfied with the response from the developer or hire someone to make these modifications; these customisations, to the module for you.

Quote · 14 Jan 2015

I guess one person's errors are another person's customisations.

Quote · 16 Jan 2015

Or one persons solution, is another persons problem - Quote HL :-)

Quote · 17 Jan 2015

There is an error in the search result page.

When I have more than 14 restaurants and I click on page 2 to see more results, I get a page 'empty'. Same when I click on the 'per page' selector to get more results on 1 page. Also a page 'empty'.

This cannot be reproduced on your demo site since you only have 3 restaurants there.

Also search on ZIP code doesn't work. I can't reproduce this on your demosite since you only have 1 ZIP code there.

Quote · 17 Jan 2015

When I have more than 14 restaurants and I click on page 2 to see more results, I get a page 'empty'. Same when I click on the 'per page' selector to get more results on 1 page. Also a page 'empty'.

This cannot be reproduced on your demo site since you only have 3 restaurants there.

Also search on ZIP code doesn't work. I can't reproduce this on your demosite since you only have 1 ZIP code there.

As demo we cant add restaurant using the demo user and pass?

"Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow." @ www.dexpertz.net
Quote · 17 Jan 2015

Perhaps it would be better if you posted things like this in the restaurant module support thread

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 17 Jan 2015

So sorry ... I was convinced this was the forum. Guess I need some sleep.

Quote · 17 Jan 2015

So sorry ... I was convinced this was the forum. Guess I need some sleep.

Perhaps, you posted in the Dolphin 7.1 support forum not in the module's support forum.

Quote · 18 Jan 2015

I posted it in the correct forum now, but it's too late to delete it here. Sorry.

Quote · 18 Jan 2015

Sorry but i could not help noticing this forum. It's not about being a perfectionist or being from Belgium. It's about custom work and perhaps tampering innocently with the functionality of a mod. If you(anyone) has a brain and eyes and keeps on going back to a website that is disordered, its not the admins problem or owner, its the person that continues to go back to the disordered website. That should be in every country, and if there is a country out there that the majority of them keep going back to a disordered website, then its a bigger problem then many may think. Good luck!

I have a full developed site, there is no problem with the Dolphin script. I just have some questions about the mod as it is. No need for re-rewriting at this point, just solving the problems which are there as I bought it.

Is it correct to sell a mod with errors in it ? Sorry if I'm a perfectionist, but that's the way it is in Belgium. No one visits your site twice when it looks disordered. That's totally unprofessional. 

Keep in mind that I'm doing profound testing of this mod, I didn't buy it to die under the dust. I guess no one did this before. So Modzzz will only take the benefit of this since he can sell a much better mod in the future.

And I will be the first one to rate it with 5 stars.

Everyday is a new beginning.
Quote · 28 Jan 2015

As promised, a 5 star rating for this restaurant mod (since I can't file another comment in the restaurant mod forum anymore, I'll do it here).

I apologize for being a pain in the ass, but after the improvements and corrections you made to this mod, it is well-worth buying.

It's an excellent tool if you want to integrate restaurants in your site and people can easily find the restaurant of their choice.

Thanks Modzzz

Quote · 28 Jan 2015

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.