Membership Purchase/Upgrades Recurring payments

I was trying to find the original post concerning the membership and using recurring payments. Come to find out - again - dolphin has a ishtty way of doing things. From what I have found out, the reason we can not get recurring payments to work with the default membership module is because it is adding the purchase to a cart, and when the cart is processed, it processes the total dollar amount. Anyone besides me ever think how stupid it is to put the membership purchase into a cart?

So, what  I did was simply create a subscription payment button in paypal which I put into an html block on my site. Then I created my own IPN page and added the url of the ipn page to my paypal account. On my ipn page, it pulls in the data and then upgrades the account accordingly. I wont know until tomorrow how the recurring payment will go - whether it will send the appropriate info back to my site. If it does so properly, then I will go ahead and create a module for what I have done.

caredesign.net
Quote · 2 Feb 2014

I was trying to find the original post concerning the membership and using recurring payments. Come to find out - again - dolphin has a ishtty way of doing things. From what I have found out, the reason we can not get recurring payments to work with the default membership module is because it is adding the purchase to a cart, and when the cart is processed, it processes the total dollar amount. Anyone besides me ever think how stupid it is to put the membership purchase into a cart?

So, what  I did was simply create a subscription payment button in paypal which I put into an html block on my site. Then I created my own IPN page and added the url of the ipn page to my paypal account. On my ipn page, it pulls in the data and then upgrades the account accordingly. I wont know until tomorrow how the recurring payment will go - whether it will send the appropriate info back to my site. If it does so properly, then I will go ahead and create a module for what I have done.

Proffessor, if this works, then it will be a big improvement to the way memberships payments are done.  Thanks for working on this.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 2 Feb 2014

I have come up with something very similar for a project i am doing for my own website except i will be generating buttons on the fly to handle any subscription without the need of separate pre-configured buttons be setup on the paypal site. I will also be passing the custom ipn page as part of the button code so that also does not have to be setup on the paypal side. The basic idea is the same as mine tho.

https://www.deanbassett.com
Quote · 2 Feb 2014

once i make the module then it will pull in the membership types and payment info from the database to populate the paypal button variables. I was just using a button to test the theory and process. From my understanding, I will still need the IPN because if a payment is made next month for the membership, then paypal needs to send the info back to my site to say that the purchase was made. Thats the part  I have to wait till tomorrow to see.

Also, a little added bit of info. Using a paypal button, you can add free-time. So if a user signs up for our premier membership, then they will get the first month free - and paypal will not process the payment until the free-time has expired. I do plan on adding that to the module.

caredesign.net
Quote · 2 Feb 2014

Also, i purchased an account with authorize.net. Although I have never used them before, I will try to set the module up for those wanting to use authorize.net as well.

caredesign.net
Quote · 2 Feb 2014

Also, i purchased an account with authorize.net. Although I have never used them before, I will try to set the module up for those wanting to use authorize.net as well.

I have a client that will be very interested in this as the Inuit Payments uses authorize.net.  The Payment module I hinted at from another developer has yet to appear.  The developer has not answer my email so they could be ill and not able to work; I hope not of course but they have been good at responding so one does worry.

Quote · 2 Feb 2014

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this one. I had some things come up that needed to be taken care of. But for those still interested, I was up late last night working on some things, so I decided to put up some screenshots to show the progress.

memberships.png · 130K · 267 views
authorize.net settings.png · 162.5K · 225 views
paypal settings.png · 209.2K · 240 views
membership settings.png · 166.4K · 233 views
add membership.png · 315.7K · 232 views
edit membership.png · 319.6K · 242 views
ipn log.png · 116.8K · 241 views
caredesign.net
Quote · 5 Feb 2014

I see you have been very busy indeed.  Thanks for a progress update.

Quote · 5 Feb 2014

Another quick update - the Membership selection and purchasing has been completed for both PayPal and Authorize,net. With Authorize.net it was a little more complicated as there are several different integration methods. My module only uses two of them - SIM and AIM w/ARB. SIM is like PayPal's Buy Now button. You click the button and are redirected to the Authorize.net payment form on their site. If you want recurring payments, then ARB is needed, but to use ARB you have to use the AIM integration method.

Pretty much, the only thing left to do is apply the purchased membership and cancel any existing recurring payments in PayPal and Authorize.Net upon successful completion of new recurring payment plan.

If anyone is interested in this module, please PM me.

caredesign.net
Quote · 6 Feb 2014

Well folks, got everything done last night (I hope) I will be doing extensive testing today to make sure that all works well. So far, the module is pretty basic.

• Allow for recurring payments
  • Uses Authorize.net and/or Paypal. Site admin determines in admin panel.
  • Allow trials. Trials can be free, or a different cost from the membership cost for month to month. This would be the same as using a promotional membership. But with recurring payments, the info needs to be in the payment processor (PayPal or AuthNet) so that it can charge the normal payment at the end of the trial period.
  • Uses separate IPN for AuthNet and PayPal as variables are different
  • Log section. Separate for PayPal and AuthNet.
  • Memberships are changed immediately upon successful transaction
  • Debug mode. Sends email to debug email address. This email consists of transaction details to help resolve issues. Email does not include credit card numbers.
  • You must have an AuthNet or PayPal account. With PayPal, I believe you need a business account. (Will need to test with a personal account). But basically any account in Paypal that allows you to create Buy Now buttons should work.
  • Upon successful membership upgrade purchase (with recurring payments), either the user or admin will have to go into their PayPal or AuthNet account to Cancel the previous recurring payment.
  • Replaces the original memberships module
  • Does not use/need the payment module
  • Add Membership Type listing to any page in PageBuilders

Some features that I will work on next, after making sure everything works so far:

• Option to change when Memberships are started. Either Upon successful transaction or at end of current membership
  • Looking at adding other Payment Processors
  • Different Image upload - current Dolphin uploading jacks up some pictures because of size.
  • Automatically cancel previous recurring payments.

If you have any other thoughts for adding, please let me know.

Now for the drawbacks - things that suck about my module:

• If you are running the store module - and as admin, you have items for sale - there will need to be additional settings since I am using the IPN and the Auto-Return. Best option would be to have 2 separate PayPal accounts - one for memberships and one for the store. Using this method will not cause any problems.
caredesign.net
Quote · 7 Feb 2014

pls say then the mondul is ready :) then i like to get it/buy it :)

Quote · 25 Mar 2014

Shoot - sorry dassaint - my son reported you (he is only 3 and was just clicking things)

OK, back to business. I have a working payment module for recurring payments. Let me explain a few specifics

• Allows for recurring or pay by month with AuthNet
  • For recurring payments, must have an AuthNet account (since paypal has a bunch of restrictions, it has not been a priority. Will look at other payment processors. 2Checkout is next on my list since it comes with dolphin)
  • Have not tested with Boonex Store module.

Test site: mtsco.net (create an account and purchase a membership)

Credit Card type: Visa

Credit Card Number: 4012888818888

Exp date: any date after current date

Card Code: any 3 digit number

This is the base and I plan on making it compatable with other modules that are based on the default payment module (such as Membership Vouchers). Test it out and let me know what you think.

EDIT:

admin pic below.

authnet admin.png · 489.6K · 194 views
caredesign.net
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

Now - works with Membership Vouchers by AntonLV

Use Discount code: B6510849 for Advanced (365 days) membership to test it out.

caredesign.net
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

good stuff.  what about other payment gateways such as ccbill or 2checkout?

yes, I searched before asking....
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

it may take some time - I am unfamiliar with both of those. I am going to have to look at a bunch of other processors and setup accounts with them - but plan to start with those that will work with adult sites. Seeing as that is a big portion of dolphin sites. I called AuthNet and the rep said there is no restriction on sites - as long as they are legal. Also, looking at AuthNets service Agreement - I do not see any restriction for Adult Sites. You can view the service agreement here: http://www.authorize.net/files/Authorize.Net_Service_Agreement.pdf

caredesign.net
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

@FFP Mult...."Will look at other payment processors. 2Checkout is next on my list since it comes with dolphin)"

Nice work Professor, cant wait until you get the payment processors working with this.  Will keep a very close eye on this module.

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

Ooops, didnt know that you had already replied back to FFP, Professor.

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

I'm pretty sure that both 2checkout and ccbill allow adult sites.  I haven't set up a merchant account with either of them yet but will as soon as we move from development to beta (hopefully soon).  I'm currently leaning towards 2co, not that it really matters to you, so I'd love to see that one sooner rather than later.

Thx

Quote · 24 Apr 2014

2CO confuses me - so that may not be next on my list. It is a combination of different processors, in which the merchant (site owner) would choose which ones they want to use. Not sure how this will work.

caredesign.net
Quote · 24 Apr 2014

maybe it would be helpful to contact them directly.  when I was shopping for a merchant account for my site I spoke to them several times.  they were very helpful and responsive.

2CO confuses me - so that may not be next on my list. It is a combination of different processors, in which the merchant (site owner) would choose which ones they want to use. Not sure how this will work.

Quote · 24 Apr 2014

any update (especially with 2co)?

Quote · 31 Jul 2014

Oooh Sorry. The client has been happy with just using AuthNet, coupled with me working full time now - I have not looked into adding 2CO. I will look into it this weekend.

caredesign.net
Quote · 31 Jul 2014

Authorize(dot)net looks very good. Not sure why I never saw them before. I needed a new mobile solution for my company that's NOT square. Oh my gawd, those people are terrible....

I know, a little off topic but thanks for the lead....

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 1 Aug 2014

Yeah - AuthNet has no restrictions like PayPal does. But, it is a little pricey (cost me $130 to setup an account), but well worth it, I think.

caredesign.net
Quote · 1 Aug 2014

Professor,

where can I purchase your module?

Quote · 2 Aug 2014

unfortunately, the module is not for sale (currently). I am having a hard time deciding on a price point:

• It only works with AuthNet
  • AuthNet has a setup fee (which is kind of pricey)
  • the cost I would have to pay in order to sell the module here on Boonex.com
  • time I have available for any fixes/updates

I do not want to offer a product that I can not actively support and now that I am working a full-time job, my time has been limited.

caredesign.net
Quote · 2 Aug 2014

ProfessorSr, we are tearing our hair out trying to make an automatic monthly subscription using authorized.net within Boonex... And was hoping that you can help us out. Is their any way you can share this code  :)

Thanks,

Ryan

Quote · 18 Aug 2014

I created a module for it, but due to amount of time available for support (hardly any) I have not made it publicly available. I am really afraid of messing someones site up. But if you just have to have it, send me a pm and we can discuss things.

caredesign.net
Quote · 18 Aug 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.