PKForum Support (DolphinHelp)

This is the support forum for the PKForum module.

http://pkforum.dolphinhelp.com
24 May 2014

Any promo prices for the beginning your work or first clients?

31 May 2014

Excellent! This was well worth the wait.. Thanks guys!

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
31 May 2014

@accept Replied to your PM

@newton27 Thanks :)

31 May 2014

Same question as accept.

Any promo prices at the outset?

Can't wait to get my hands on multiple licenses.

31 May 2014

Same question as accept.

Any promo prices at the outset?

Can't wait to get my hands on multiple licenses.

There are discounts on multiple licenses https://payments.dolphinhelp.com/pkforum

31 May 2014

Prashank and I decided to lower the initial price for PKForum from $99 to $79 for the first week.

For those who have purchased PKForum, I sent you a message offering you the same discount.

Link to market... http://www.boonex.com/m/pkforum-2014-05-31

Paul :-)

1 Jun 2014

Very good move.

I have 2 questions:

1. What about testing licences? Before I will install the forum in the proper domain, I would like to prepare it (f.ex. css) on test.mydomain.com. This is very important! Is that possibile?
  2. Visitor Types -> idea v.good, but IMHO there is missig one more type of visitor:
    1. Member
    2. Non-member
    3. Bots (f.ex google-bots)
1 Jun 2014

@accept

1. Yep, its possible you will just have to revoke the license at the DH Management Panel and reactivate it. After moving domain you can either export your pkforum database then reinstall the module and import it back or just purge the activation record from database. (PM me for the mysql query to purge it, I will discuss with Paul on including an activation purge option somewhere in admin panel in next minor version.). Though i will say Go with the reinstall route if you want less troubles ;)

2. Hmm...bots...i am not sure about this one. I have read that google doesn't like to be given something different than normal users. Anybody got more recommendations on this one?

so much to do....
1 Jun 2014

2. Hmm...bots...i am not sure about this one. I have read that google doesn't like to be given something different than normal users.

Look, over four years I had forum ONLY for members and google did not indexed it, because it was closed for bots. The forum does not exist for SEO.
Only after opening this forum for bots (but with permisions for members) google noted the presence of this forum. 

With permissions only for members there are no chancees for SEO.

1 Jun 2014

Look, over four years I had forum ONLY for members and google did not indexed it, because it was closed for bots. The forum does not exist for SEO.

Only after opening this forum for bots (but with permisions for members) google noted the presence of this forum. 

With permissions only for members there are no chancees for SEO.

So, you're saying that your forum is just for "logged in" users? And you don't want google and non logged user to see the forum, (Note that your forum url "yoursite.com/m/forums/" will always be there but with no forum or category listed.)

so much to do....
1 Jun 2014

Indeed, my forum is only for logged members. There are a lot of dolphin projects with closed forums - only for members.
But this is very, very recomended, as well compulsory for bots to have capability to index forums posts.

• It coud be only topics, or
  • beggining of posts, or
  • topics and post

but it is necessary for SEO to bots have access, although non-members have no permissions to see the forum.

1 Jun 2014

Indeed, my forum is only for logged members. There are a lot of dolphin projects with closed forums - only for members.
But this is very, very recomended, as well compulsory for bots to have capability to index forums posts.

• It coud be only topics, or
  • beggining of posts, or
  • topics and post

but it is necessary for SEO to bots have access, although non-members have no permissions to see the forum.

So basically you want bots to see your forum and include it in search result but when someone (non member) clicks on that link they see not allowed message?

so much to do....
1 Jun 2014

So basically you want bots to see your forum and include it in search result but when someone (non member) clicks on that link they see not allowed message?

That situation is known from other forums in the internet. I have met two solutions:

1. non member gets the post with limited signs (just the beginning of post) and information: "you must be logged member...etc"
  2. or he immediately gets the login panel with the same information

Both solutions are good. Good for SEO and good for development of the project.

1 Jun 2014

That situation is known from other forums in the internet. I have met two solutions:

1. non member gets the post with limited signs (just the beginning of post) and information: "you must be logged member...etc"
  2. or he immediately gets the login panel with the same information

Both solutions are good. Good for SEO and good for development of the project.

Added to discussion list, we will consider this for next version release :)

so much to do....
1 Jun 2014

Great.

I think the normal permissions for bots can be done at the Apache level... but this is only an idea.

1 Jun 2014

Found an issue.....

If I use Deanos Tools to set a member as an admin, I can no longer assign that member as a moderator in the forum. They won't show up in the search. As soon as I relegate them back to 'member', then the search produces the name and I'm able to assign them. Seems to be some sort of conflict that won't allow them to be both.....

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
2 Jun 2014

Found an issue.....

If I use Deanos Tools to set a member as an admin, I can no longer assign that member as a moderator in the forum. They won't show up in the search. As soon as I relegate them back to 'member', then the search produces the name and I'm able to assign them. Seems to be some sort of conflict that won't allow them to be both.....

We did that on purpose, For one simple logic, an admin can already do everything, so we thought that there's no point in making an admin a moderator. Cuz even if admin is assigned as a moderator he/she/it can do whatever he/she/it wants and will never be bound to the limit you define for that particular Moderator Group. It just creates conflicts with other things.

so much to do....
2 Jun 2014

Doh! Of course, I need to step away from the desk for a minute. It's been so long since I've been excited about improving my site, I plain forgot. Admin is as Admin does. I'm getting a little carried away.

Just so you know, this mod is single handedly keeping me with Boonex....... I have been trying to solve the "Fish Forum" issue since 2009........ The way I see it, they owe you guys big time.

2 Jun 2014

Smoothe and fast migration from orca to pkforum. :)

Installation went perfect twice.

Got 2 quick questions and a problem.

Problem: When I click on the "Latest Posts" page, it continues to refresh itself, but not to the most recent posts. It's odd. Here is the url. You'll see it refresh after about 5 seconds and 2 more times after that, with older posts appearing at the top.

http://interlinenetworking.com/m/forums/posts_feed/

I did initially check the "Settings: Enable auto refresh on latest post php block" box to see how it worked, but when I saw it was refreshing  but not with more recent posts), I unchecked it and cleared the cache several times. So I am not sure why that page is still refreshing? It shouldn't be refreshing at all.

Question 1: Can I decrease the size a little of the 'post reply - subscribe - delete topic...' font just a bit? It's huge. It appears the same size as the header. Id like to make it maybe bx-def-font size (or it's own size). Not sure which template to find that on so can change. Image attached...

(attached image pkforum-options-top.png)

Question 2: On the home page, "Recent Topics" block, can I alter the % width of the columns ever so slightly so that "0 Replies" appears on the same line? Again, not sure which css or template file to look in. Image attached...

(attached image pkforum-replies.png)

Other than that, love it!

Well worth the wait.

And this is just version 1.

Jeff

pkforum-options-top.png · 39.8K · 475 views
pkforum-replies.png · 10.2K · 496 views
2 Jun 2014

Jeff,

I can see reported problem on your site... no idea what's happening to cause it.  I can say we've yet to see it anywhere else... so I suspect is unique to your setup.  We may need SFTP access to look deeper but I'll wait for Prashank to review it and respond.

For question one... I will need login access to view it since the font appears fine when not logged in.  Please send access by private message to support@dolphinhelp.com, thank you.

For question two... on my computer, "0 Replies" is correctly displayed on one line in the latest versions of: Iron, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Internet Explorer.  I'm curious... what type of computing device and which browser (& version) are you using?  I find it hard to fix these types of layout issues when I can't replicate them.  Maybe Prashank can replicate it.

Paul :-)

P.s. I'm running Windows 7

2 Jun 2014

Ok...

First, i need phpmyadmin login and ftp logins + admin login, this one might be a "weird" one :|

Second, I am unable to reproduce the layout issue, i will try some other things.

so much to do....
2 Jun 2014

I'll message prashank with the logins and stuff in a minute or two. It is a "weird" one alright!

For the "0 replies" I notice it on the latest Firefox & IE. Chrome is OK. Windows 7. Desktop PC.

Thx!

2 Jun 2014

I'll message prashank with the logins and stuff in a minute or two. It is a "weird" one alright!

For the "0 replies" I notice it on the latest Firefox & IE. Chrome is OK. Windows 7. Desktop PC.

Thx!

Ok....You ready for the weirdness...You old post has greater id than your newer ones...let me explain

Your 5 days old post has an id of 69 and your latests post has an id of 20. Which is weird cuz the latest one should have the greater ID. I am fairly certain that this came from your orca installation during migration. The migrator fetch the posts in a chronological order which makes me think you had a messed up Orca posts table. I suppose orca didn't cared for primary key column ("ID") to fetch latest post so you never noticed any issue but PKForum uses that to sort records for better performance.

Now what can be done to fix this.

I can build a script that will reassign the IDs for the post according to their time of creation. First I will download a backup of course. So you want me to do it?

so much to do....
2 Jun 2014

Hi Prashank.

That's freakin' weird.

Yes, please do the script. There's less than 100 posts so hopefully it won't take long to do. I appreciate it very much.

I waited as long as I could to launch the orca forums in the first place, knowing that pkforum would be on the scene and I would switchover to it.

2 Jun 2014

Hi Prashank.

That's freakin' weird.

Yes, please do the script. There's less than 100 posts so hopefully it won't take long to do. I appreciate it very much.

I waited as long as I could to launch the orca forums in the first place, knowing that pkforum would be on the scene and I would switchover to it.

Its fixed. As for the big font issue you can edit the template file "topic_header_menu.html" and specify your font size there or use some update in the css file "topic.css".

We are still unable to reproduce the line break issue tho..looks fine in all latest version of ff, chrome, IE :-/

Screenshot_9.jpg · 64.1K · 503 views
so much to do....
2 Jun 2014

Wow, that was fast!

The line break is random by website and by browser. I see it on both sites, but not even with the same browser. If anyone else chimes in over the next weeks or months with the same issue, maybe it'll be worthwhile to look into. For now, it's OK.

Thanks for all your speedy help. :)

2 Jun 2014

might be missing something obvious here but I cant use the migration tool.

Have installed and activated PK, navigated to mysite.com/pkforum_migrator/

but I just get page not found notice.

The folder and files are in place with permissions set to 777

2 Jun 2014

Does PKF have a forum show box for the main page ? it was always a great way to het interest by listing the newest topics.

2 Jun 2014

Are you logged in as an Admin when you attempt to open the migrator page?

2 Jun 2014

Yes, there are options for both Recent Topics and Latest Posts blocks on the homepage.

Does PKF have a forum show box for the main page ? it was always a great way to het interest by listing the newest topics.

2 Jun 2014

PM me your ftp login and i will take a look if its there or not.

so much to do....
2 Jun 2014

Yes, there are options for both Recent Topics and Latest Posts blocks on the homepage.

Could you point to it as i can't seem to find any option of that choice at all. In my Main page area ( under page builder) no block is present and i my older male wisdom i dont see the choice in the settings LOL but then again most morning i cant find my car keys either Laughing

3 Jun 2014

I attached a snapshot of the Page Builder > Homepage block in the demo site.  You will see "Recent Topics" and "Latest Posts" in the Active Blocks area.  Both of those were found in the Inactive Blocks area after PKForum was installed... then moved to the Active Blocks area.  If you do not see them then send your site's admin access (username and password plus site address) to support@dolphinhelp.com please and thank you.  -- Paul

3 Jun 2014

Small request. How hard would it be to automatically add <target="_blank"> to each href that is added to a post? I don't want my site closed when they click a link...

3 Jun 2014

The block would display better if the topic title was displayed at the top. Having said that, I have removed mine after discovering that each new post is displayed very well in the 'Outline' mod. Seems pointless to display the same information twice... It also frees up some homepage real estate....

3 Jun 2014

Small request. How hard would it be to automatically add <target="_blank"> to each href that is added to a post? I don't want my site closed when they click a link...

Well, i am not sure if many people want it. So probably wouldn't include it in the base product. Unless people raise voice for this here right NOW.

And the thing, you can achieve it with tinymce options. Edit the modules/dh/pkforum/classes/DHPKForumTinymceEditor.php and near line 42 and add this

forced_root_block : '',
extended_valid_elements: 'a[href|target=_blank]',

That should do it.

so much to do....
3 Jun 2014

The block would display better if the topic title was displayed at the top. Having said that, I have removed mine after discovering that each new post is displayed very well in the 'Outline' mod. Seems pointless to display the same information twice... It also frees up some homepage real estate....

I don't get it :?

There are two blocks for homepage already added in page builder. Recent Topics and Latest Posts. The recent topic blocks has the topic title on top and the outline doesn't list the posts it lists the topics. I think you confused the topics with posts Undecided

so much to do....
3 Jun 2014

There are two blocks for homepage already added in page builder. Recent Topics and Latest Posts. The recent topic blocks has the topic title on top and the outline doesn't list the posts it lists the topics. I think you confused the topics with posts Undecided

My Forum posts box doesnt show anything...its empty.......... I did how ever delete all old Boonex forums after i migrated. Show in my Forums Post box  Its EMPTY...... how do i get PKforum to populate it ?

4 Jun 2014

My Forum posts box doesnt show anything...its empty.......... I did how ever delete all old Boonex forums after i migrated. Show in my Forums Post box  Its EMPTY...... how do i get PKforum to populate it ?

Please post a screenshot of exactly whats wrong and send me your site's admin login.

so much to do....
4 Jun 2014

Please post a screenshot of exactly whats wrong and send me your site's admin login.

The Forum posts box is empty......  email me directly for login info  nutz@videotron.ca

Empty forum box

4 Jun 2014

4 Jun 2014

The Forum posts box is empty......  email me directly for login info  nutz@videotron.ca

Empty forum box

lol thats the orca forum block, you have to put the PKForum "Latest Post" block from page builder. 

so much to do....
4 Jun 2014

That's outline and it only post updates for new topics (not posts)...

so much to do....
4 Jun 2014

Empty forum box

lol thats the orca forum block, you have to put the PKForum "Latest Post" block from page builder. 

Thats the funny part, i don't have 1 in my choices under main page

UPDATE... low a behold this morning i found the PKForum black, it has appeared amd all is OK    Thanks

4 Jun 2014

Where can you set the size of the messages in PKForum... i need to make it slightly bigger

4 Jun 2014

will sort ftp access later today.

I can see the /pkforum_migrator/  folder is there with 'functions' 'index' and 'processor' php files inside.

should I just be using mydomain.com//pkforum_migrator/ to access migrator or something else?

I've tried that and also with index.php on the end but it still says page not found.

PM me your ftp login and i will take a look if its there or not.

5 Jun 2014

will sort ftp access later today.

I can see the /pkforum_migrator/  folder is there with 'functions' 'index' and 'processor' php files inside.

should I just be using mydomain.com//pkforum_migrator/ to access migrator or something else?

I've tried that and also with index.php on the end but it still says page not found.

its fixed, it was a folder permission issue. You can run the migrator now.

so much to do....
5 Jun 2014

Where can you set the size of the messages in PKForum... i need to make it slightly bigger

huh?

so much to do....
5 Jun 2014

huh?

I am a member of a mailing list for Blues music and i wanted to paste that email to the forums....well it gave me an error that the message must be between 2 and 10,000 characters..... wouldn't let me save the pasted message.

5 Jun 2014
6 Jun 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.