Photos Module 1.1.4

Hello,

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I noticed on the Dolphin Demo, the Photos module is 1.1.4. However, my version is 1.0.9. 

How do I upgrade? I downloaded Dolphin again and reuploaded... nothing. I click check for updates - it says none found.

Thank you so much for your time... 

Quote · 12 Oct 2014

Is your Dolphin version 7.1?

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 12 Oct 2014

Yes

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

RE

my version is 1.0.9.

That version shipped with Dolphin 7.0.9  That means at some point, you didn't properly upgrade your site. 

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Other than that very obvious point you have now typed out - the question at hand is how can I upgrade.

I uploaded the photos module from the boonex 7.1 download (again). I have already upgraded properly, or so I thought. 

Any CONSTRUCTIVE posts to help me are very welcome... other than posting the obvious.  

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

I did have some advice, but I think I'll wait til you gimmee some more of dat all caps typing.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 13 Oct 2014

A single word in caps constitutes all caps typing? Yes, you continue to be very helpful. 

Sorry but just typing to type and tell someone they did something wrong is just a waste of space and time. So I stand by my stress of asking for CONSTRUCTIVE input. 

Is there anyone else who might be able to help and not waste peoples time?

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Is there anyone else who might be able to help and not waste peoples time?

HL or GG is your best option here to get the help you need.
And one thing HL doesn't do is waist time..

There are some forum posts about the right way for upgrading. Good luck

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

All caps typing is consider yelling.  I am guessing you wanted to emphasis "constructive" but in doing so you may have put those willing to help in a mood not to help.

As HL pointed out, something was not done correctly during the upgrade; what would be hard to tell since we were not present during the upgrade.   How long has it been since you did the upgrade?  The reason I ask is because if you have had members adding content, then you probably don't want to lose that content if you have to do the upgrade over.

It is why I have been so slow at doing the upgrades for my site; I have a lot of custom code as well.  I upgrade and do extensive testing before applying the upgrade to the production site and moving on to the next upgrade.

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

I appreciate the feedback.

So what options do I have for not losing the data? I am wondering why an upgrade can not be done like any other module with a new version? 

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

First of all, did you upgrade your site from Dolphin 7.0.9 to Dolphin 7.1.4 using the steps outlined here: http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/Dol7Upgrade, following each step to the letter and making due notes of the reports after the upgrades?  We need to know exactly what you have done before we can proceed to offer help.

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Well I am going to be honest, I do recall doing that, but apparently I did something wrong somewhere.  So, as far as I remember yes. But my common sense tells me I missed something :)

So, what can I do?

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Well I am going to be honest, I do recall doing that, but apparently I did something wrong somewhere.  So, as far as I remember yes. But my common sense tells me I missed something :)

So, what can I do?

So the answer to my question above is that yes, you did upgrade but you are uncertain if you did it correctly.

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Im pretty careful when I do this kind of stuff. So, yes, I believe I did all 100% correct.

But, unfortunately, it's obvious I didn't do something, or I missed a step, or messed something up.  I'm human.

So, the question is, what can I do? 

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

You can try replacing the module files with a fresh one from a new download (assuming your site was upgraded to version 7.1.4). Make a backup before doing this.

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 13 Oct 2014

I did do that, Nathan, but oddly that did not change anything.

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Ok, lets finish this.

'Pretty careful' isn't careful enough with Dolphin. Did you or didn't you follow the steps specifically to upgrade from 7.09 to 7.14?

In other words, did you upgrade 7.09 to 7.10B1, then 7.10B1 to 7.10B2, then 7.10B2 to 7.10 , then 7.10 to 7.11, then 7.11 to 7.12, then 7.12 to 7.13 and finally 7.13 to 7.14?

If you want a constructive post, then give us some constructive information to create one with. Maybe and I'm pretty sure I was pretty careful just doesn't cut the mustard....

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 13 Oct 2014

In other words, did you upgrade 7.09 to 7.10B1, then 7.10B1 to 7.10B2, then 7.10B2 to 7.10 , then 7.10 to 7.11, then 7.11 to 7.12, then 7.12 to 7.13 and finally 7.13 to 7.14?

Ok, without going back and forth, then my answer to the above is no.

What are my options?

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

The only 'proper' way to upgrade your site, is one version at a time as explained previously. For example, you cannot upgrade a 7.0.9 site directly to 7.1.4.

Do you have any other modules that are showing a earlier version? Are you having issues with the Photos module or did you just happen to notice the version didn't match?

If you look in the modules/boonex/photos/install folder, you will see a file called config.php. Open that file to see if the version says this:

'version' => '1.1.4',

Nothing to see here
Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Here is a screenshot of the modules. You'll see some of up to date, while others are not. So, I must have missed a step somewhere. 

Yes, the photo module install config.php does say 1.1.4... 

Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

10-13-2014 1-10-42 PM.jpg · 155.6K · 137 views
Quote · 13 Oct 2014

I am not having trouble with my photos module directly, but seeing the different version, and the problem upgrading, has keyed me into believing not only did I mess up somewhere, but it may also be related to another issue I have been having with my cache clearing out when the cron jobs run. No one was able to figure that out - but maybe the issues are related:

http://www.boonex.com/forums/?action=goto&my_threads=1#topic/Cache-issue-Problems-with-theme-css-being-lost.htm

Thanks again... 

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Here's the deal son.

The upgrade patch from 7.0.9 to 7.1.0 was released damn near two years ago and modified the database extensively. Each subsequent upgrade modified the database to some degree.  If the upgrade process was incomplete for the photos module somewhere along the line, you have to ask what else wasn't completed.

When you noticed that your photos module was at 7.0.9, overwriting the files with 7.1.4 versions was the wrong thing to do, as you removed any hope of finding out what file versions you had.  Maybe they were 7.0,9 versions, maybe they were 7.1.0 versions.... we'll never know for sure. 

You have two choices at this point. You either uninstall and reinstall the photos module, or you painstakingly examine the database changes from 7.0.9 (or whatever version you started off with) to 7.1.4, and see if your database structure is as it should be.  Yep.... that's complicated. 

Maybe your database is fine, maybe it isn't.  Maybe all you need to do is recompile the photo modules language.  I will look into my crystal ball, and see what answers it provides.

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Update: My crystal ball sez you're fcked.

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Update: My crystal ball sez you're fcked.

What are you, 12?

Grow up.  6,000 posts here and that's the quality of your input?  You give Boonex and this entire community a bad name if you're someone who represents "the help" here.  

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

I give you the benefit of my crystal ball and this is how you speak to me? Fine then. No more thoughtful insight for you :P

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Honestly, just stop wasting everyone's time, and derailing this thread because you got your little feelings hurt I put one word in ALL CAPS.  OOOOoooooooh... I did it again... Call the cops.

Just go away if you're going to be an idiot. You're a waste of space at this point.

Quote · 13 Oct 2014

He's right you know and he's earned the right to be an ass if he wants. I vote for HL.... Cool

http://towtalk.net ... Hosted by Zarconia.net!
Quote · 13 Oct 2014

Well, I will have to say that your upgrade process screwed up somewhere. According to your screenshot, you have a lot more than your Photos module that is out of date.

Custom RSS

Google Search

Files

Orca Forum? Its not even called that anymore..

List goes on..

The way HL said it was not exactly proper, but ultimately true. I am going to guess that you did not perform backups (site and database) between each upgrade right? If no, then.. well.. yeah not good.

Nothing to see here
Quote · 14 Oct 2014

Of course before you do anything, you make a fresh backup of the database and site files; all site files in this case; when you back them up add the date to the name of the backup file. 

Uninstalling a module removes all the data, so if you uninstall the photo modules all photos on the site will be removed.  Backup everything first.

When did you do the upgrade; it may be best to do it over if it was recent.  Of course you should have created backups when you first started the upgrade.

I do find the instructions for going from 7.0.9 to 7.1.0 a bit confusing as it would seem they have a direct 7.0.9 to 7.1.0 upgrade.  However, they have others indented under that upgrade; Boonex needs to make it clearer on that part.

Quote · 14 Oct 2014

HL can be a bit brash at times but he is also a very knowledgeable person on Dolphin; he has been here a long time and knows his stuff.  When you apply the upgrades, Dolphin updates the module versions in the database; when you upload updated files to a module's directory, it does not update the version in the database; I have third party modules that report the wrong version because the update applied code changes and a database update was not necessary.

As I said, first thing to do is to backup the database and site files at this time just so you have a safe copy of them.

Now, question to those that knows more about the update process;  would it work if the person was to go back through the updates; changing the version number in the header.inc file and database table (if necessary for that) so that it would be as if updating from 7.0.9 so the installer will work; uploading each update and going through the install process anew?

Quote · 14 Oct 2014

There has to be a way to fix this, and I would even be willing to pay a (reputable) programmer to do it, if they are familiar, and they can do it. It's hard to imagine that although it may take a bit of time, that I would be completely out of luck. If I am, maybe Dolphin just isn't for me. But, I would hate to think that. I have put in thousands of hours into my site, and the amount of data that's there, I would hate to "start over".

Is there someone (again, keyword here is reputable) that would be able to quote a reasonable amount to try and get this updated and fixed? 

Quote · 14 Oct 2014

what kind of server setup do you have?  Do you have shell access?

Quote · 14 Oct 2014

I run my own dedicated servers with full shell access. 

Quote · 14 Oct 2014

I run my own dedicated servers with full shell access. 

Is it running Plesk?  Or it is a clean box; I don't mind webmin as it is useful at times.

Quote · 14 Oct 2014

Another question, was your 7.0.9 core files untouched?  Or did you have modules and such that required core changes?

Quote · 14 Oct 2014

Hi there,

sorry for the dumb question, how can I check which modules version is in each Dolphin version, besides looking into the Demo?

I have a problem with photos, when uploading new profile photos and then going to see them and scrolling through the set using the arrow keys, it does not follow the same sequence as shown on the small photos on top...I manage to solve it by editing, re-arranging and saving, as a user...but this is no solution.

Thanks,

Sleepless
Quote · 18 Dec 2014

Hi there,

sorry for the dumb question, how can I check which modules version is in each Dolphin version, besides looking into the Demo?

I have a problem with photos, when uploading new profile photos and then going to see them and scrolling through the set using the arrow keys, it does not follow the same sequence as shown on the small photos on top...I manage to solve it by editing, re-arranging and saving, as a user...but this is no solution.

Thanks,

Dolphin module versions follow the Dolphin release version.  So let's say you upgraded and your Dolphin version is 7.1.4 but your current photo module says 7.1.3.  That tells you something happened when you did the upgrade because all Boonex modules should have the 7.1.4 version.

Quote · 18 Dec 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.