Site Thumbnails made EASY! - part 2

Quote · 6 Nov 2014

It was for 7.1.x   It can be done for 7.0.9

What I'm using is a pretty ugly hack just to get STW out of the loop.  If you don't mind ugly hacks, I'll see about getting it working on 7.0.9

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 6 Nov 2014

HL - that would be very cool.   Webthumbshots.org is currently down - i can't remember how this works - does that affect your site, or are the thumbs loaded and not fetched in real time?   Shrinktheweb was a nightmare - I was on using a different platform where they refused to work with them.  I always wished this didn't involve any external service at all - just a button you could press that would go fetch, create and load the images - and if you wanted to update you could do again - even if you had to wait 30 seconds I think that would be better.  Would like to get this working again though, so if you could update your mod/hack that would be great.

Quote · 6 Nov 2014

Give this a try.  I probably missed a few thumb images, but I'll fix them if you let me know where the bugs are.

I would suggest that you rename your existing /modules/boonex/sites folder to /modules/boonex/sitesOriginal  and then just upload the attached, zipped sites folder

Clear cache and see how it behaves.

Images and thumbs may take a minute or two to process on the server before you see them on your site.

Sites module for Dolphin 7.0.9 is attached. (Note to others: do not try to install this on 7.1.x)

sites.zip · 65.3K · 354 downloads
My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 6 Nov 2014

BTW... this uses http://webthumbnail.org/

As I write this post, they claim their website is down for maintenance, but their api is still working

One thing about a hack like this, is that only template files are changed, so you can always revert to the original if you ever have to, or if this service disappears into a black hole, it's easy to re-hack it to use a different service.

I never did like anything about stw, and that includes their rep that showed up here.

Quote · 6 Nov 2014

Oh how cool is that - thank you!  Too dangerous for me to do an upgrade late at night so i will give it a shot tomorrow.

Quote · 6 Nov 2014

The only downside of getting the images from within the template files, is that until the page where the images are supposed to appear, is loaded in a browser, the webthumbnail.org api will not receive the request to generate the image that is to appear on that particular page.  It's a small issue though... not likely to bug people too much.

Here's an idea of what the site view page looks like

FoxSS.png · 371K · 695 views
Quote · 6 Nov 2014

Anyone have something that will work with 7.1.4?

Give this a try.  I probably missed a few thumb images, but I'll fix them if you let me know where the bugs are.

I would suggest that you rename your existing /modules/boonex/sites folder to /modules/boonex/sitesOriginal  and then just upload the attached, zipped sites folder

Clear cache and see how it behaves.

Images and thumbs may take a minute or two to process on the server before you see them on your site.

Sites module for Dolphin 7.0.9 is attached. (Note to others: do not try to install this on 7.1.x)

Quote · 6 Nov 2014

Just installed and seems to work fine - certainly better than what I had before, which was nothing.  Haven't tested everything yet - like adding a new site, but this helped a great deal.   Are the images stored in cache or are the fetched each time?   Thanks for doing this.

Quote · 7 Nov 2014

They are retrieved via the webthumbnail.org api on every page load.

Quote · 7 Nov 2014

I used the bitpixels files from the modules.zip on here and have them working on 7.1.4 except for the outline block on the home page.  I still get the no-image-thumb.png graphic on there.  I'm thinking there needs to be a change made in the wall_outline.html file but haven't been able to make anything work.  Any suggestions?  Also, I'd like to put a black border around the bixpixels thumbnails.  I have tried adding in the html files and in the main.css but, so far, that isn't working either.  Insight would be appreciated.  - thanks

Quote · 8 Nov 2014

For 7.1.4

http://houstonlively.com/m/sites/home/

Quote · 9 Nov 2014

Homepage outline block looks great.  That's the look I am trying to get.

Quote · 9 Nov 2014

For 7.1.4

http://houstonlively.com/m/sites/home/

Very nice looking layout and design Houstonlively. Really cool!

Quote · 12 Nov 2014

Just curious here, but has anyone figured out how to set a default 'Profile' thumbnail yet?

Quote · 12 Nov 2014

Just curious here, but has anyone figured out how to set a default 'Profile' thumbnail yet?

Not sure about "set".  The default man and woman thumbnails are in the templates/base/images/icons directory.  There are three sizes for each.  I just overwrote those with the replacements I wanted.

Quote · 12 Nov 2014

RE:

You're not likely to find out in this topic, since that is not what this topic is about.

Quote · 13 Nov 2014

RE:

You're not likely to find out in this topic, since that is not what this topic is about.

Well not trying to be sarcastic or anything but the topic said 'site thumbnails'  not 'sites thumbnails' , which brought me in here to begin with. And profile thumbnails are thumbnails on the site, meaning they are site thumbnails.

Quote · 19 Nov 2014

It was a test. We wanted to see if you could figure out what this topic was about, if all we did was tell you.

Quote · 19 Nov 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.