outline bug report

Found an odd bug/glitch on outline. Just showed up today for some reason, nothing installed or added to my site to make it happen...

I have outline set to show 4 items. Only 3 will show (I have loads in place!). 

If I click load more, then it will show the next line, and will show the missing item.

If I set it to show 8 items, I get the same thing, one missing until I click 'show more'! 

Have played with settings, nothing seems to change anything. All items are default viewing setting - public.

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Just checked this on 2 other test sites I have, all clean install of 7.1 and the same result on them all!

Quote · 12 Nov 2012

Can somebody else with 7.1 please check this and let me know if its just me having this problem!

Cant figure out what is causing it, other than its just a bug that needs fixing.

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

Can you make that column for the outline just a bit wider and see what happens...  really if it is to small it should put the next item on the next line but you never know.  (just a guess here)  not tested.

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 13 Nov 2012

hmm maybe not by looking at the second screenshot.  sorry it took a second to load before i answered.

https://dolphin-techs.com - Skype: Dolphin Techs
Quote · 13 Nov 2012

This is normal, the Timeline displays "dated" stuff. I can do the same on the demo site.

ManOfTeal.COM a Proud UNA site, six years running strong!
Quote · 13 Nov 2012

But it misses an item to display. Its not changing with different items, it just shows a gap.

If I click 'load more' it will then fill the gap with an item, as well as showing the next line.

No matter what I do, it will always show a gap...

Have the same thing on 3 sites, all clean installs.

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

So now it gets more interesting...

I created a test poll, just checking polls functions, the poll shows in outline (still shows one item as blank)

I then delete the 'test poll' and guess what... 

I now have 2 blank spaces in outline!!!

Cleared cache but no change.

I remember, I did delete an item before.

Seems to be related

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

Now I have 2 blank spaces...

If I click load more, it will fill the gaps, plus load the next line.

Quote · 13 Nov 2012

Outline (and Timeline as well) can't show the exact number of items, or load the exact number of item upon clicking "Load More".

This is because there is a data which not always can be shown due to privacy settings or other events which are not shown in outline. 

So instead of showing empty (or with old good "lock" icon) items, it just skips it. Since there is no paginate it can be handled pretty good.

I suggest to set "items per page" to some approximate number to load less or more items per one load.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 14 Nov 2012

Done all that. Its the same if I set 3, 4, 6, 8, 12 .... always shows bank spaces.

I have loads of content that is enabled for outline, no privacy setting in place at all, all default.

It seems to be still trying to show items I have deleted. The number of 'gaps' increases with items I delete... 

Outline (and Timeline as well) can't show the exact number of items, or load the exact number of item upon clicking "Load More".

This is because there is a data which not always can be shown due to privacy settings or other events which are not shown in outline. 

So instead of showing empty (or with old good "lock" icon) items, it just skips it. Since there is no paginate it can be handled pretty good.

I suggest to set "items per page" to some approximate number to load less or more items per one load.

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

This is not the case here. Outline is trying to load items I have deleted and in place is showing blank spaces.

All items are public settings, nothing to prevent them showing.

Now, If I set the outline to show 4, it will show only 2... this because the last 2 items were deleted...

It's the same thing no matter how many items I set i to show. It still tries to show the deleted items. Same on 3 sites!

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

are you using CDN? cloudflare or something like that?

disable it if is yes.

This is not the case here. Outline is trying to load items I have deleted and in place is showing blank spaces.

All items are public settings, nothing to prevent them showing.

Now, If I set the outline to show 4, it will show only 2... this because the last 2 items were deleted...

It's the same thing no matter how many items I set i to show. It still tries to show the deleted items. Same on 3 sites!

www.tumundo247.com - www.rampletea.com - www.clasificadosnetwork.com
Quote · 14 Nov 2012

Nope. regular dedicated.

Quote · 14 Nov 2012

There is no blank spaces. This is the way the content is organized, it just happened in your case that 1st row has items with very similar height, next row tries to add new items to the shortest items - if you see more carefully you will notice it.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 15 Nov 2012

ok, will try adding 8 images as blog posts, all the same size to see if this works. 

Not convinced at the moment that this is the case though as it does the same thing if I make the outline pageblock span the whole page...

set to 8 items (I have over 20 on the site so plenty to pull from) - it will only show 6.

set to 10, it will show 8...

set to 4 - 2 etc...

Quote · 15 Nov 2012

Definite problem with Outline trying to load deleted items here.

I just added a new module so ran a test item. Appeared fine on Outline.

Then I deleted the test item and guess what.... now I have a blank space on outline where it once was!!!

Cleared cache but it stays there.

So far I have deleted 3 items in total.

If I set Outline to show 12 items, (have dozens on my site) it will only show 9 items. Although it will show 9 items with 3 spaces...

If I set it to show 10 items, it will show... 9 items and 1 space.

It will not show 12 items.

But... if I click 'load more' for more content, it then fills the gaps and will load the additional content.

I get the same thing each time I delete something. At first it was 1 item deleted = 1 gap started showing.

then 2, 3 etc...

Nothing to do with page block width as suggested, it stays the same no matter what width the page block. Its not to do with item height or other things as I have all items the same size. Just an image with not text content...

It's a bug, as its the same on 3 different clean installs of 7.1

Someone please verify this so it can be addressed as needing a fix! Outline just looks broken if its filled with blank spaces...

Quote · 20 Nov 2012

Found the problem in database.

Outline is drawing from bx_wall_events

Any items that are deleted will keep a record in this table, but have no content associated to the record.

Delete this record in database and the blank space is filled with the next full event...

As I said, its a bug!

Quote · 20 Nov 2012

Hello

The ticket was created. You may check it here http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/2908.

Quote · 22 Nov 2012

Thanks. 

The problem is in bx_wall_events

When you delete an item that has been linked to this table, the record of it remains but with no content.

Outline then shows a space for the record, but with nothing to pull to outline.

If I delete in 'deleted' items in this database table, outline moves to the next item and displays that.

Quote · 22 Nov 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.