[Tip] Change delay timing of profile hover pop-up

When you hover over a profile picture of a user, if you wait long enough- you get a pop up menu which enables you to send a message, befriend, share this profile, etc.

In Dolphin 7.1, this pop-up appears after 3 seconds of mouse hovering. In my opinion, this is a lot of time to wait, and when you're not familiar with this function- it will probably take you a long time to even notice it for the first time, probably by mistake.

In the 7.1 version, there is no possibility to define the desired delay through the admin panel (I believe it used to be an option in past versions, since there are old discussions about it). It is 3 seconds (3000 mSec) hard-coded.
So, if you wish to change this timing, you'll have to get your hands a bit dirty and change some code... Make sure to keep a backup of the modified file before changing anything.

The file you need is "functions.js", found under /inc/js.
In this file, find declaration of "function startUserInfoTimer".
the function ends with this block:

aUserInfoTimers[iId] = setTimeout(function(){
       showFloatUserInfo(iId, oObject);
   }, 3000); 

Change the "3000" to whatever suites you best (note the numbers are in mSec! so a delay of a second should be defined as 1000, for example). I'm currently working with 500 (half a second), which seems decent enough, but I might change it if I get feedback that it's too annoying.

Good luck.

[Tested with 7.1.0 and 7.1.1. Needs to be re-configured if you upgrade from 7.1.0 to 7.1.1]

Quote · 15 Mar 2013

thanks!

Quote · 15 Mar 2013

This is great, thanks!  I didn't even know that this hover existed!  I changed mine to 750.  I may go down to 500 though.

Quote · 15 Mar 2013

Thanks. Good to know.

"When things get tough the tough get going..."
Quote · 15 Mar 2013

Great tip, thanks!

7.3.5 with responsive UNI
Quote · 22 Mar 2013

Change the "3000" to whatever suites you best (note the numbers are in mSec! so a delay of a second should be defined as 1000, for example). I'm currently working with 500 (half a second), which seems decent enough, but I might change it if I get feedback that it's too annoying.

Thank you very much 

Quote · 5 Nov 2014

Thank you very much!

I have made this parametr is 100 )))

Quote · 27 Dec 2014

Works just fine, that 3000 MS waiting was annoying, Thanks so much!

Quote · 3 Jun 2017

Thanks for sharing. This is really helpful

Quote · 4 Jun 2017

Above modification Only works in Firefox. No changes in Chrome Browser. 

Quote · 13 Feb 2018

I tried this with FF and Chrome on 7.14 and 7.3.4 and it has no affect on the image inside the cover. I guess they dropped it because it worked for some and not for others. As we can't choose what browser our viewers use, having bells and whistles that work on one but not another is a good example of coding time wasted.

Quote · 13 Feb 2018

Hello everybody!

Who has trouble with appearances of popup by hover on profile thumb - please specify versions of your browsers. In 7.3.4 it works in latest version of Chrome, Opera and Firefox.

With the best regards, Leonid

Quote · 14 Feb 2018

has anyone gotten this to work at all in later versions such as 7.3.4 and 7.3.5?

Quote · 8 May 2018

has anyone gotten this to work at all in later versions such as 7.3.4 and 7.3.5?

Worked just fine for me.. Did you clean all cache?

Quote · 8 May 2018

yup. site cache and browser cache. using google chrome and google chrome beta. and even on firefox it isnt working i have it set to 500

Quote · 9 May 2018

I am using Firefox and just tested out with Google as well as IE and both work?

I have Attached my file.. Just upload it to inc>js folder. It is default code but changed it from 3000 to 500 and mine pop-up in about 2 sec.

Be sure to delete everything except .htaccess in cache, cache_public, and tmp folders. If you have sitemaps compiled then after cleaning out the folder re-compile it.

functions.js · 32K · 292 downloads
Quote · 9 May 2018

sorry it took so long to respond. i used your code yet it still isnt working. :(

Quote · 12 May 2018

how to bypass delay time?

Meaning: how to make the hover menu as long as user clicks 'x' button on top?

Quote · 16 Sep 2018

Hello sureandhraindia!

It works now by this way - this popup will be kept until a user clicks on "x". If you need some another way - please specify.

Quote · 17 Sep 2018

this popup will be kept until a user clicks on "x"

Yes. How to do that? Because it is very difficult to use it on mobile. The popup is not appearing at the centre of the mobile, it is appearing bottom or somewhere. The user has to chase the popup. And immediately it disappears. After hovering the same photo, the popup may not reappear. May be user has to refresh the page.

Quote · 18 Sep 2018

May you please specify your device, OS and the browser's version used there? Because from my side on LG H502, Android 6 and Chrome it works as it should - popup appears, take almost the whole width of the screen with the little overflow and waits a click on the "x" button.

Quote · 18 Sep 2018

May you please specify your device, OS and the browser's version used there? Because from my side on LG H502, Android 6 and Chrome it works as it should - popup appears, take almost the whole width of the screen with the little overflow and waits a click on the "x" button.

Android 6.0.1 chrome 69.0.3497.91

I checked on lenovo, xiaomi redmi phones.

While scrolling by putting finger outside menu to click "x" button or to reach bottom actions or upper actions, the popup disappears.

Quote · 19 Sep 2018

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.