/bin/sh: line 1: 328377 Segmentation fault (core d

I have Dolphin 7.0.9. I got this in an email as an error report from my website .What does it mean?

"/bin/sh: line 1: 328377 Segmentation fault (core dumped) /usr/local/bin/php -q cron.php"

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

Here is an explanation from the web:

What are segmentation faults (segfaults), and how can I identify what's causing them?

A segmentation fault (aka segfault) is a common condition that causes programs to crash; they are often associated with a file named core . Segfaults are caused by a program trying to read or write an illegal memory location. Program memory is divided into different segments: a text segment for program instructions, a data segment for variables and arrays defined at compile time, a stack segment for temporary (or automatic) variables defined in subroutines and functions, and a heap segment for variables allocated during runtime by functions, such as malloc (in C) and allocate (in Fortran). For more, see What are program segments, and which segments are different types of variables stored in? A segfault occurs when a reference to a variable falls outside the segment where that variable resides, or when a write is attempted to a location that is in a read-only segment. In practice, segfaults are almost always due to trying to read or write a non-existent array element, not properly defining a pointer before using it, or (in C programs) accidentally using a variable's value as an address (see the scanf example below):

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 25 Aug 2013

I will proceed immediately programming school and after I graduate I will read this again. Perhaps then I will understand it. LOL!!

But seriously does anyone know how to fix it, and if so would they please enlighten me? :)

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

The first step is understanding what the error messages mean.  When I get an error message that I don't understand, I start by going out and searching on it.  Are the cron jobs being executed?  Cron.php is the script that in turns executes the cron jobs stored in the database.

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

Why do people assume that I have made no attempt to find the answers on my own?

That hurts my feelings a bit. :(

Crons are being executed as indicated by the periodic report that I get in my email each day.

I have asked my web host about it as well and they have no idea what it even means let alone what is causing it.

I can find nothing using google or php resource sites or white papers or in the debug or in the data base or site logs or....

I am really lost.

Seems like something new stops working every time I get one thing fixed.Cry

One of my crons has been reconfigured by the host as "cd /home/hangspot/public_html/dolph/periodic; /usr/local/bin/php -q cron.php"

That is the same path in the error.

Coincidence? I think not. Hehe!! :)

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

Why do people assume that I have made no attempt to find the answers on my own?

That hurts my feelings a bit. :(

Crons are being executed as indicated by the periodic report that I get in my email each day.

I have asked my web host about it as well and they have no idea what it even means let alone what is causing it.

I can find nothing using google or php resource sites or white papers or in the debug or in the data base or site logs or....

I am really lost.

Seems like something new stops working every time I get one thing fixed.Cry

My apologies, I did not mean for it to sound like that.

Did you try deleting cron.php and uploading it anew from the Dolphin zip?  I am guessing it is saying the segfault occurred when executing cron.php.

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

It basically means that your server did not have enough memory available to execute the script.

Very large tables or badly written scripts can cause this behaviour, but since this is on Dolphin 7.0.9 I'll make the assumption (deadly) that one (or more) of your tables passes back a result too large for the script to execute.

Look at the script, maybe you can execute statements one-by-one to find the issue. Maybe some error log that is already there can give you more information.

It also never hurts to check the drives and physical memory for faults.

Dedicated servers for as little as $32 (28 euro) - See http://denre.com for more information
Quote · 25 Aug 2013

That was my first step.

I am thinking it is a misconfiguration of the cron.

Not sure what it should be I tried the one in the help docs and got a different error.

My host is tmdhosting and U have submitted a ticket asking for the correct path.

Will see what happens.

Thanks for the quick response.

"It also never hurts to check the drives and physical memory for faults."

I do not have access to the server at all. But thanks for the info.

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

I have heard others with issues related to TMDHosting; this could be related to the server and nothing to do with Dolphin.

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

My host has informed me that This error is generated when you have reached the recourse limit for your account. Please review your resource usage via your cpanel -> Resource Usage. 

Looks like Denre called it.

Thanks for all the info.

I will probably be looking into a new host.

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

My host has informed me that This error is generated when you have reached the recourse limit for your account. Please review your resource usage via your cpanel -> Resource Usage. 

Looks like Denre called it.

Thanks for all the info.

You are not the first to have encountered this.  Time to get a new host for your site.  There are a couple of members here who host Dolphin sites.  Zarconia and dolphin_jay are two that I have heard others use.  They will help you to migrate your site.  Of course you can go with other hosting but I would stay away from any shared hosting unless the provider will guarantee you will have the resources needed to run Dolphin.

Quote · 25 Aug 2013

I will definitely look into their services.

Thank you very much! :)

Quote · 26 Aug 2013

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.