3 hours just to change the navigation menu

It took me 3 hours just to change the look of the navigation menu.....

Basically I replaced the table structure by a <ul><li> structure. The difficulty was that the submenus needed to be inside the <ul> tag.

E.h.:

<ul>

<li>

<span>Main Manu Item 1</span>

<ul>

<li>Subitem 1</li>

<li>Subitem 2</li>

</ul>

</li>

<li>

<span>Main Manu Item 2</span>

<ul>

<li>Subitem 1</li>

<li>Subitem 2</li>

</ul>

</li>

</ul>

ideally this would have been just a CSS/HTML change or change of a template file.

But I had to change lots of files, such as BxDolMenu, BxTemplMenu, BxBaseMenu....

I think a lot of potentil customers are put off by the way Dolphin is designed and programmed.

All I can say it, please be more careful when writing the code and keep in mind customers may want to change the design in a more flexible way without interfering with the code.

At a certain point, there is always the question "make or buy", but if buying means making a major part as well, the answers tends to be "make"...... I am still unsure whether to continue trying to make Dolphin fit optically or whether to start from scratch.

I also think Dolphin should use a more "standard" way as far as templating is conerned. you really need to get used to those weird ____variable___names.

If you use a standard templating mechanism in the future, this would make things a lot easier - or also some MVC pattern.....CakePHP or whatever...

Quote · 20 Dec 2008

Hi. There is an easier way to edit your menu, pages, content, settings, etc - it only takes a few minutes.

go to: yoursite.com/admin/index.php --->BUILDERS---->navigation menu builder

you just click, drag, and drop and the menu is automatically updated in your website.

There is also a fields and pages builder in the BUILDER.

Hope this helps

Quote · 31 Dec 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.