500 Internal Server Error

I am trying to install Dolphin on my Bluehost account. The first time I ran the install script I get the 500 error immediately.  After making some changes to the .htaccess file (commenting out the first two lines) I got a little further. I got to the Drupal logo and the Install button. On the next screen after that I get a list with a lot of changes I have to make to file and folder permissions. After performing most of the changes I pushed the "Check" button and then up comes the Internal Server Error.

Any suggestions?

Anything special I should check with this hosting setup (Bluehost)?

I worry that if I am having problems with the simple task of setting up the software I could be in for a lot more trouble later down the road.

Quote · 10 Jun 2008

Open the .htaccess in the root directory and take out the "register globals" line. That should fix it.

Mike

http://www.makeasocialnetwork.com

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 10 Jun 2008

Thanks Mike - but no, not quite. I tried it both ways. Although I am pretty sure it has something to do with .htaccess

phpinfo runs ok from the root but not if I put it in the install folder. I even tried to copy the .htaccess from the root to the install folder but with same result.

The .htaccess file in the install folder looks like this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine off
</IfModule>

I also tried to comment out the RewriteEngine line

Quote · 10 Jun 2008

Damn it, I hate being wrong, haha. Ok the second thing I normally check is the permission of the public_html folder.. it isn't 777 is it? Some hosts have it setup (for security I guess) so that no script can run in a 777 folder. Let me know..

M

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 10 Jun 2008

Thanks for the quick answer Mike!

Don't feel you have to be right all the time Cool

For the public_html folder it was 755, for the www it was 777

The site is actually a subfolder of the main site but with its own domain. The subfolder settings are 755.

I tried changing www to 755.

I am running all sorts of scripts in subfolders under the www folder.

Quote · 10 Jun 2008

Your public_html folder should have permission 755. I have given this solution already on another post.

----
Quote · 11 Jun 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.