7.2 Modern enough?

First I want to say I know a lot of work goes into what you guys are working towards on a final release of 7.2 regardless of the many known issues there is to work past.  I appreciate that work as I can deliver a stronger platform for my site users.  While the new multi loader and moxie manager are a couple of my favorite updates, I think we are missing that modern edge that creates that sweet simplicity a complex platform needs.

Here is a list of the most important things I think need addressed in sole efforts only to modernize our platform in order of importance to myself.

1. The star rating system.  This system is twisted into the platform in a more complex manner than it should be in my opinion.  We can not turn it off through an admin option or at the least select an option for ratings to be anonymous.  Receiving a notification that your item has been rated only creates extra functions and invites turmoil between members knowing who rated an item.  It also prevents a true reflection of the rating given.  My suggestion: Something like this http://codecanyon.net/item/thumbsup/full_screen_preview/50411 (the top selling rating system in this market place and very widely used).

2. The comments.  I seen Andrew post a blog questioning the community about modernizing the comments.  I did not see any end game on that question in the 7.2 beta.  Many many people do not want the "record video comments" link or can not use it.  There is no admin option to remove this feature easily.  Although moxie manager is an awesome addition to include and manage uploads directly into the comments it is very discrete.  Unless you know what a little random button is in TinyMCE then it becomes unknown to the general population.  Perhaps a more apparent option to initiate the moxie manager pop up.  There are several challenges with TinyMCE currently in this beta and mobile.  I also feel that the plus and minus points system on each comment is outdated.  I would suggest something closer to the link I referenced above for ratings.  I would also find it beneficial for user to be able to flag comments that leads to a box of reasons why they are flagging which is then sent to the admin.  This feature should have a threshold limit set by the admin where a comment is buried after so many user flags.  The current comments operation and real time posting is not bad.  I think we can build onto what we have with comments.

3.  The Forum.  I am not going to get in detail with this.  There are a ton of successful forums.  There is even a mod here in the market I think called PK forum that improves the forum a great deal for starters.  We should be able to go one level deeper in the forum as well.

4. Content Boxes.  The content boxes should have design options that allows you to remove the title, or box outline all together to allow just the content to show without the actual container being visible.

5. Groups.  Groups could be improved drastically to allow users to create a unique experience to their topic matter of the group.  There are already mods that attack this issue.  Certain privacy settings could be addressed.  A group that is private still allows guests to see the comments of the group on the group home page simply because they have permission to see comments through out the site in general.

6. Mobile Apps.  I have purchased a license that allows me to run a branded mobile app.  The documentation, use, and overall effectiveness brings up many issues.  Many people are not being approved when trying to upload their branded app due to the apps not meeting the terms of the google and apple market place.  I have had $400 in limbo waiting for the mobile apps to be overhauled to something more streamlined that users can get to the market more effectively.

Thanks for looking over my suggestions.  Anyone feel free to add to this something that might modernize our operations.

Quote · 13 Jul 2015

Thank you for the suggesitons.

1. Star rating can be easily modified by 3rd-party plugins or templates (without code modification), also you can easily disable it everywhere or in the particular module:

UPDATE `sys_objects_vote` SET `IsOn` = 0

2. "Record video comment" string is automatically removed if you uninstall Video Comments module in Admin panel > Modules > Flash Apps

3. Forum has got the very latest update with HTML5 history API navigation and responsive layout, Moxiemanager works in Forum as well.

4. We'll consider it for the future updates - http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/3554

5. We'll consider improvements in groups module in future versions

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 13 Jul 2015

Many many people do not want the "record video comments" link or can not use it.  There is no admin option to remove this feature easily.

admin > modules > Flass apps > Comments Video Player > Disable

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 13 Jul 2015

Thanks AlexT and Houstonlivley.  I knew some people smarter than myself would help out. Sorry for my ignorance on this issue.  Thanks guys.  I did not know that about the video comments.  I guess I assumed it meant something else.  I searched the forums like crazy a couple years back on this one.  Finally ran into instructions on the code I needed to comment out.  Nice to know their is an easier way.  As for the rating system Alex, I am a very capable person but lack some knowledge. I may need to play your response through my head some more to wrap my mind around exactly what it would take to get my ratings to what I desire.  Perhaps I need to hire someone work this out for me to achieve the thumbs ratings example I posted.  I do understand and can runt he database query your posted for me.  I may do that for now until I reach a closer option.  Thanks for providing me with that.

Quote · 13 Jul 2015

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.