APC INSTALL FOR A NEWBIE

Can anyone walk me through how to install APC on a LINUX system that has ZEND Optimizer installed (Zend has to be disabled from my readings). I am a total newbie and would like to learn exactly how to do this. I have read the online tutorials, however, I am still lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Quote · 6 Apr 2011

Since you don't leave us with much information about the system you are using, the answer will be thereafter.

General information:

APC uses shared memory, most systems have only 64MB allocated so you should be aware of this. If you have a busy server I suggest you change the amount to atleast 128MB.

Make sure you use sysctl for kernel settings, it will be easier to use and understand instead of using own scripts that should be setup each time the server is restarted.

Add this line to your /etc/sysctl.conf

kern.ipc.shmmax=134217728

Run: sysctl -p

Now we can begin to install APC.

Under Ubuntu/Debian the package is called 'php-apc' so it's installed by:

apt-get install php-apc

Locate and Edit your php.ini file and atleast add these 3 lines in the end of the file:

apc.enabled="1"
apc.shm_segments="1"
apc.shm_size="100"

Save the file and restart apache or php-fpm depending what system/model you are running.

Locate apc.php in /usr/share/doc (In Ubuntu /usr/share/doc/php-apc/apc.php) and copy this file to your webroot or a directory of your chooise. Edit the file and change the login/password within this file.

Now you can run the file by surfing to it by simple http://yourdomain.com/apc.php or the location you put it in to monitor APC memory usage, and clean the cache if needed.

You should be able to find guides for Redhat/CentOS, it's basicly the same proceduer.

Why Zend Optimizer should be disabled I can't answer on, im not a user of it.

Good Luck!

Copyright all spelling errors ;)

Quote · 9 Apr 2011

Go for eAccelerator. Its better than APC for dolphin.

----
Quote · 6 May 2011

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.