Access Site from Mobile Phone

I am thinking about switching from Joomla 1.53 to Dolphin 6.1.1 and need to know if there is an extension enabling mobile phone users to access the Dolphin groups. The application is just so they can search and find phone numbers. Does this capability exist!

Some angry people in this forum about the last upgrade. Anyone still recommend Dolphin?

Dolphin 6.1.1

Joomla 1.5.3

link: www.famouspoints.com

Quote · 21 May 2008

I took a look at your site.  Pretty nice!  I am an experienced Joomla user, and I would recommend that you stay with Joomla.  I am not overly impressed with the Dolphin support.  In fact, I'm not impressed at all.  The only thing you can do with Dolphin that you can't yet do with Joomla is the search thing by Zip Code ( I am a male...seeking a female...within xx miles of zip code).  just my 2 cents.  Good Luck

Scott

Quote · 21 May 2008

I've worked with Joomla and also developed custom mods for it. I can tell you that they both serve a different purpose. Joomla does not have the same social net offering that Dolphin has. It is possible, but not without doing some major mods.

I use Joomla is more of a CMS than Dolphin It has some CMS features, but nothing like Joomla.

Props to frigger, it takes a bit of elbow grease and time to get Dolphin going.

I've written a few tutorials at BoonexNerd.com and there are other Dolphin resources there too.

Those tutorials are being updated for 6.1+. So a new set is on the way. I am still working through a bunch of bugs.

...sip...

Updating my BoonexNerd.net site.
Quote · 21 May 2008

...oh wow, I just tried to edit my post and I am getting denied permission to do so...

Has that happened to anyone else...

Thanks for your replies.

...sip...

Updating my BoonexNerd.net site.
Quote · 21 May 2008

Surf,

At this point I wouldn't recommend anyone switch to Dolphin unless they fall into one of these catagories:

1. Have at least a basic knowledge of PHP, HTML, and JS...

2. Have the money to CONSTANTLY pay people with the above knowledge.

I would compare using Dolphin to buying a 1968 Ford truck... unless you are a mechanic you probably

won't spend much time on the road :-)

Mike

BoonEx Certified Host: Zarconia.net - Fully Supported Shared and Dedicated for Dolphin
Quote · 21 May 2008

If they can fix the issues in the latest update, and you don't need much support.

Quote · 21 May 2008

I think dolphin is better because it comes with many features.

----
Quote · 21 May 2008

Also the site is not using WML. So you can't view it in WML browsers. But you can use it with mobile phone with Opera Mini browser.

----
Quote · 21 May 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.