Affiliate Tracking?

ok, so on a standard install of Dolphin, the is an "Affiliates" link in the header text link navigation area.  It's pretty obvious what this is for, but I think also obvious it's geared for a site that requires certain levels of membership that are paid fir.

My question is, if you intend to run your site completely free, is it possible to use the affiliate system that's built in, as just a way to track if users have referred your site, and a sign-up was generated?

Example;  I want to run a contest.  The contest will last for say, one week.  The contest is to get as many people to sign up as possible, using your referal ID as a way for me to track your sign-ups.  So let's say I ask my current members to sign up as an affiliate to the site also, and through whatever means they can think of, get as many people as possible to sign-up.  Now, most of my friends know several people in the same social groups out here in real life.  So both Bob and Katy refer Brian, but Brian clicked on Bob's link first, so Bod would get the credit for the sign-up.  I'm not offersin a pay-per-sale or a percentage, but a gift certificate or something as a prize.  So I would need to go back a week later, look at stats somewhere, and determine the person who referred the most sign-ups for the week.

Is this possible to do with the standard install affiliate system?

Thanks,

Bill

newbreed
Quote · 19 Jan 2009

ok, i had some people sign up using a text affiliate account I set up.

looks like the system is tracking the sign-ups, even as free joins.

now I just need to figure out how to let a current member become an affiliate without creating a completely different acount....

this is good stuff, I'm excited now :)

newbreed
Quote · 19 Jan 2009

Figured it out, for anyone in the future looking for this information.

Basically, once a member is logged in to your site, all the need to do is click the affiliate link up in the header text nav area, and complete the form.  They then become an affiliate based on that username.

newbreed
Quote · 19 Jan 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.