Better Notifications? Anyone? Please?

Is anyone working on any type of better notifications for Dolphin?  I mentioned this some time back.  My members are still complaining about not being able to know when friends are doing things.  The SPY helps, Modzzz email notifier is dang good, it needs improvements in some areas.  It is on site notifications they are solely lacking, needing much improvements.  The lack of good notifications is killing my site.  I wish I had a screen shot of the way Multiply use to do it; the defunct site that was social, went to social with marketplace, then moved to the Philippines and became only marketplace, to finally go belly up.  You went to your account page and you could set up filters to control what you saw.  It worked well, very well.  The spy just lists everything together.

For example, I could set a filter up that would show only my friend's blog posts.  Or I could add in my friend's reviews.  Or I could set a filter for just friend's reviews; one could create as many filters as needed.  Also, when someone commented on a blog, it was highlighted so you knew, and since the activity had happened, it was showed at the top.  It should not be that difficult to create a good notification module that can be customised by the user to create different filters.

The other thing is real time updates of comments; however, the big killer is lack of good notifications.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 28 Jan 2014

Yep!

Everyday is a new beginning.
Quote · 18 Mar 2014

I was really hoping someone would take on this project.  Modzzz mentioned something about it but never did.  The spy notifications has everything jumbled together.

On a site I use to be on before they went south; they have a filter system for content.  I could set up a filter to see all new content on the site and I could filter it by content type.  I could also set up a separate filter for my friends, and again by type.  If we could have that, then my members would dance in the streets and praise the name of the developer to all that would listen.

Quote · 18 Mar 2014

GG, i think that a lot of developers here don't wanna listen to the great ideas people put up here..
As i have build a filter for the outline based on content typ(like only photos or news etc..)
I think it could be done for spy too.

I will give it a go today and check the code...

Quote · 18 Mar 2014

I'm hoping for a good notification system as well. It's easy to forget whatever you did on another site an hour ago. 

I will take a closer look at modzzz's notifier. No offense to modzzz's efforts to add more functions to dolphin. In my opinion from a non programmer's view; modzzz is spreading himself too thin, creating many mods which therefore, lacks some robust functions that could have been added. He is what I call a reactive programmer. A mod is released, someone finds a bug, he reacts by fixing it. Someone asks for a specific function, he adds the function. It's all based on users' reporting and requests. 

The fewer mods a developer has, the more love is put in the product. I have few of his products. Some of them are a must have. 

Is it my imagination, no? 

Guynuked -- Dedicated server and Dolphin-friendly hosting with Zarconia.net
Quote · 18 Mar 2014

I have Modzzz email notifier and it is a great tool for the site members to get notifications in their email but there is nothing on the market to replace the spy.

Quote · 18 Mar 2014

GG, i think that a lot of developers here don't wanna listen to the great ideas people put up here..
As i have build a filter for the outline based on content typ(like only photos or news etc..)
I think it could be done for spy too.

I will give it a go today and check the code...

Yes, even being able to filter on content type would be a big improvement.

Quote · 18 Mar 2014

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.