Chat stuck on "loading" in FF

Hello there, thai old woman here with a Ray related question.

It appears that after setting up the RMS and getting it up and going my chat won't load, it gets stuck at the "Loading..." stage. I've found a few threads on here that deal with the topic but they do not seem to be related. The fact of the matter is, the RMS is working. I know because the IM plugin works, and I'm able to connect to my friends and view my own video, and so do the other modules. Moreover, if I go into the Ray Base and click on admin, the admin version of the chat (under ray/modules/chat/app/admin.swf) loads up fine! I am also running the ray.sh script to monitor its live output: when I log in as the admin I see the standard "getting user list" and other chat application related messages. Nothing happens when I try to load up chat the normal way.

I was also able to, sometimes, load the chat just fine in Firefox, but only on Windows - on my Mac at home it refuses to load up. No luck in Safari or Chrome, and IE7 won't even display the loading screen. The demo chat on the boonex.com product page works in all of those browsers, and I've looked over the embed code it is identical to mine.

I'm not sure where to start but seeing as how nothing is output to the console, I'm almost inclined to think the holder_as3.swf file for some reason isn't loading up the application to begin with, because if it was any sort of app issue I would get errors in the console. The permissions for it are set correctly so I don't know what's up, especially since it sometimes works in Firefox for Windows.

Any ideas people and the Boonex devs?

Quote · 12 Dec 2008

Hello there, thai old woman here with a Ray related question.

It appears that after setting up the RMS and getting it up and going my chat won't load, it gets stuck at the "Loading..." stage. I've found a few threads on here that deal with the topic but they do not seem to be related. The fact of the matter is, the RMS is working. I know because the IM plugin works, and I'm able to connect to my friends and view my own video, and so do the other modules. Moreover, if I go into the Ray Base and click on admin, the admin version of the chat (under ray/modules/chat/app/admin.swf) loads up fine! I am also running the ray.sh script to monitor its live output: when I log in as the admin I see the standard "getting user list" and other chat application related messages. Nothing happens when I try to load up chat the normal way.

I was also able to, sometimes, load the chat just fine in Firefox, but only on Windows - on my Mac at home it refuses to load up. No luck in Safari or Chrome, and IE7 won't even display the loading screen. The demo chat on the boonex.com product page works in all of those browsers, and I've looked over the embed code it is identical to mine.

I'm not sure where to start but seeing as how nothing is output to the console, I'm almost inclined to think the holder_as3.swf file for some reason isn't loading up the application to begin with, because if it was any sort of app issue I would get errors in the console. The permissions for it are set correctly so I don't know what's up, especially since it sometimes works in Firefox for Windows.

Any ideas people and the Boonex devs?

Ok, fixed it. I'm on a totally dedicated server and the IPs are the same. Flash player 9.

It appears that we had bought a license and had widgets from the free version. There was a difference of 50KB in them, and replacing the old chat with the one that comes as part of the paid package did the trick. Now, IE is still not working, but I now know it's due to our markup - isolating the flash embedding markup into a separate opens chat up just fine, so something's not working on IE's end. Auto-height or something maybe.

Quote · 12 Dec 2008

Ok, fixed the chat not showing up IE as well. It wouldn't work with any versions of IE. What it ended up being is the display CSS property set to hidden for the EMBED element that is supposed to embed the holder_as3.swf file and hence our chat! Nowhere in my stylesheets nor in the style attribute of EMBED did I set that to be so, it is one of those bizarre IE bugs like the one where replicating a certain document structure causes the thing to crash.

To fix it I had to go into ray/modules/global/inc/content.inc.php and at the end of the file specifically add a style="#display: block" attribute to the EMBED tag. Adding the definition to the separate generic.css stylesheet to assign that rule to all EMBED elements everywhere  did not have any effect indeed proving it's a bug. The number sign within the attribute's value should ensure the rule only applies to IE, though EMBED would normally be rendered as a block-level element by other browsers anyway even without that. Never know though, some other versions of browsers might freak out if I'm not specific enough.

Thread closed I guess.

Quote · 12 Dec 2008

Could you please be more specific on the fix?  I'm also having problems but mine are in Firefox and Opera, while IE7 opened fine for me.  But on a nother member they couldn't get IE7 to work.  I was hoping your fix would help.

Thank

Quote · 16 Dec 2008

Could you please be more specific on the fix?  I'm also having problems but mine are in Firefox and Opera, while IE7 opened fine for me.  But on a nother member they couldn't get IE7 to work.  I was hoping your fix would help.

Thank

What is your problem with the chat exactly? Is it stuck on the "Loading..." wheel or is it not showing up at all?

Quote · 16 Dec 2008

On the wheel. But it does work on different browsers/computers.

Quote · 16 Dec 2008

OK, it works on my home computer in IE7 with no problem, instant connection.  In Firfox 3.04 iot just hangs on the loading wheel and never loads.  I tried clearing the cache, turning off the firewall and AV, but still no go.  Same problem with Opera 9.62.

I finally get the RMS to owrk by using an external hosting company and now this.  So frustrating.

Quote · 16 Dec 2008

I think this might be Vista related.  I just logged on from an XP computer and they all worked fine.  Weird.  So it looks like the chat will only work on IE 7 under Vista but not FF and Opera.  I'm going to start another topic on this since this thread had to deal with browser issues, not OS.

Quote · 16 Dec 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.