Chat+ video streams

OK - here are a few cenarios I have tested and figured I would share. While we all are looking for a great chat server, we need one that not only allows those with cameras and mics to communicate, but also those without - and more than just text chats.

User A is on PC with no camera or mic, User B is on mobile devices with camera and mic:

User B initiates chat - User A gets message to accept - User A gets Audio and Videoof user B, but no video or audio for user B to see of user A.

User A initiates chat - User B gets notification and user A gets no audio or video of user B as well as user B has no audio or video of user A

User A is on PC with Mic and no camera, user B is on mobile device with camera and mic:

User B initiates chat - User A gets message to accept - User A gets audio and video of user B and user B, but no video for user B to see of user A but there is audio.

User A initiates chat - User B gets notification and user A gets no audio or video of user B as well as user B has no audio or video of user A

So, basically - if you are on a pc with no camera, you are screwed. If you dont have a camera or a mic - you are double screwed. It seems this is more for mobile devices - and with JUN10R's review of possible high data consumption - of those who have an unlimited data plan.

caredesign.net
Quote · 10 Mar 2016

Then that means everyone is screwed, because only mobile carrier I know that offers unlimited data is Sprint, and that is ONLY IF you had your plan from 2009 or so....which those users would probably be less than 0.10%

So I guess that sums it up, RocketChat is pretty f*cking useless.

Nonetheless, thanks for the detailed feedback Professor.

Ultra Newb reporting for duty.
Quote · 10 Mar 2016

With the current Flash based chat, I would log into the chat room.  We could all sit around and talk.  If someone had a video camera they could elect to share it, or not share it, or block certain ones from seeing.  You could go private.  Now we know that telephone users have no damn problem sending thousands of text messages, even when driving or walking out in front of a car or walking off the edge of a cliff.  Basically we need the same choices we would have using the Flash based chat but open to all devices.

For peer to peer chating I have Comet Chat and it works quite well.  The ideal of having a chat room is for open discussions, not peer to peer sharing.  There is nothing community about two people talking to each other.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 11 Mar 2016

t-mobile offers unlimited for 60 bucks a month - in addition to your normal plan cost - I pay around 125 a month for everything I have - including unlimited data and 13gbs of mobile hotspot data. But keep in mind - these were just MY results. I am really hoping someone else has better results and lets us know.

Then that means everyone is screwed, because only mobile carrier I know that offers unlimited data is Sprint, and that is ONLY IF you had your plan from 2009 or so....which those users would probably be less than 0.10%

So I guess that sums it up, RocketChat is pretty f*cking useless.

Nonetheless, thanks for the detailed feedback Professor.

caredesign.net
Quote · 11 Mar 2016

Keep in mind - it does allow for multiple users to chat at the same time using video/audio. I have had as many as 5 test devices connected at the same time - with 4 using video/audio - and it worked great.

My thing is for those who are on a pc or device without a camera or mic and still want to see/hear others in the conversation. From my tests - it is complicated to make it so. I was hoping v 21 would have fixed that issue - but it didnt.

With the current Flash based chat, I would log into the chat room.  We could all sit around and talk.  If someone had a video camera they could elect to share it, or not share it, or block certain ones from seeing.  You could go private.  Now we know that telephone users have no damn problem sending thousands of text messages, even when driving or walking out in front of a car or walking off the edge of a cliff.  Basically we need the same choices we would have using the Flash based chat but open to all devices.

For peer to peer chating I have Comet Chat and it works quite well.  The ideal of having a chat room is for open discussions, not peer to peer sharing.  There is nothing community about two people talking to each other.

caredesign.net
Quote · 11 Mar 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.