Comments editing

is there anyway to enable comments editing and deleting anytime????

Quote · 4 Nov 2009

admin/settings/membership level

admin/memb_levels.php?edit=actions&edit_level=2

add cooments add/edit own to standard

I have video tutorials to help you mrpowless.com
Quote · 5 Nov 2009

Sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread, but I am wondering if there is any way to edit the original posts, not just the comments made on them?  Is there a setting I am missing?  I can only find a way to allow people to delete them, not edit them.

Quote · 23 Mar 2016

It's very dangerous to allow people to edit an original post, especially if someone has already commented. Even this forum gives you limited time to edit, but I think the time goes to zero if a comment is posted. That's the way it should be. if you wish to disagree, think of it this way:

Original Post:  Who likes chocolate?
Comment:       Me!

Edited Post:            Who killed my cat?

Original Comment: Me!

Quote · 23 Mar 2016

Right.  Which is why it is pretty standard to display the edited text upon clicking it (think Facebook, the platform I am using now instead of Dolphin, there is a way to do it with Wordpress/Buddypress, a few forums I have been a part of), or at least to indicate that the message has been edited.  The fact of the matter is that users get very frustrated with having made typos and generally demand the capability to edit these.  It's not unusual in social media.

But obviously it seems not to be a part of Dolphin based on what I have found and your answer. 

Quote · 23 Mar 2016

Original Post: Who likes chocolate?
Comment: Me!

Edited Post: Who killed my cat?
Original Comment: Me!

Edited Comment: Me, and it tasted like chocolate!

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 23 Mar 2016

My members wanted to edit posts and comments so I gave it to them.  If you don't keep your members happy you won't have any.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 23 Mar 2016

And if they don't pay to keep me happy, I won't be.

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 23 Mar 2016

@geek_girl How did you add the capability to edit posts (status updates in the timeline)?  You coded that yourself or hired someone?

Quote · 25 Mar 2016

The fact of the matter is that users get very frustrated with having made typos and generally demand the capability to edit these.  It's not unusual in social media.

This forum gives you an hour to edit a post if I recall. I think that's more than enough time after the person has posed the message, but I still think editing after a comment has been posted is very dangerous and could in some instances lead to litigation.

Personally I'm not even happy about the edited comment which is goo, mainly because some social media clowns may be so offended by the first comment, they don't get around to reading the amendment.

Quote · 25 Mar 2016

I am talking about status updates, not the forum. Since comments on statuses can be edited, it only makes sense to me that the statuses themselves should as well. But apparently dolphin doesn't work this way.

I am not here to debate the merits of editing. Editing works great for my community and is a feature my users like over a similar community that does not offer it. My site is laid back, and 99% of edits are because if simple typos. I know if I move to Dolphin and it is no longer available, I will have complaints. If edits don't work for your community, that's fine, every community is different, but it's not really relevant to my question.

I was asking if there was a setting I was overlooking (seems not) or if someone has successfully implemented the feature on their site (and hopefully details about how). Still hoping to hear from geek_girl or others regarding the route(s) they took in implementing it.

Quote · 25 Mar 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.