Creating templates to give away and sell!

When I visited expertzz I noticed a few templates for sale that to be honest; appear only to have had minimul changes! I have taken the orignal Dolphin template and edited all the menus and colours to create one called 'simpley red'. What are the regulations/copyrights/rules regarding giving this template away and creating others (based on the orignal) to sell?

http://www.excelsolutions-asia.com/images/dolphin/simpleyred.jpg

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

You can sell if you want of course. But you must understand that this is simple template (seems you edit just several colors and pictures)

You even don`t change html layout of template. no one icons :)

Rules? .. just create normal and formed manual by rules where will described process of installation.

And, just hope that it will popular :)

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

Audrey, I had written above that I'd changed a little and wanted to give it away! I'm sure there are quite a few members that do not know how to change or edit files so I thought this would help! I edited the menus in Photoshop and reversed colours to black! Anyway if anybody wants it do let me know! Again .... FREE! Audrey, could you explain a little more by what you mean by formed manual etc! I don't understand but do value your feedback.

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

You have to write a manual for the individual who recieves the template to be able to install that someone brand new to dolphin can figure out.

Also, you have to be careful when editing certain parts, as many have extremely modified sites and things that you do to a template may cause it to NOT work on their site.  This is the reason that you limit what you do to a template to color changes, rounding of corners and other simple items that ONLY affect the appearance, not the functionality.

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

Thank you for clearing things up Mydatery. All I did was to edit images and colours only leaving the actual template functionality alone. I would like to go a little further without being extreme. I'm trying to work out now how to edit corners etc to be a little more creative! I have to start somewhere!

Thanks again

Toni

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

Thank you for clearing things up Mydatery. All I did was to edit images and colours only leaving the actual template functionality alone. I would like to go a little further without being extreme. I'm trying to work out now how to edit corners etc to be a little more creative! I have to start somewhere!

Thanks again

Toni

The templates are mainly CSS, you have to be careful as you do the rounding corners, there are tricks to do it, but most will call images for each corner, and here you have to integrate a lot more into the template to make it work.  I've seen templates created that have had corners rounded to only cause other items on the site to quit working, such as one that caused the DOB Calendar to not work in Internet Explorer.  That one was really fun.  Turned out the issue was in the general.css file of the template and while I could find the item I could not figure out how to over come it.  I tell you this, because you'll want to test everything on the site before you try to sell the template, otherwise you will have angry & frustrated customers.  Whether it's free or a fee, people will still want it to work.

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

I couldn't agree more. Nothing can be worse (free or paid) to install a template or component only to have it crash your site. I used to do a lot of Joomla work so do understand. Dolphin is a whole new ballgame for me. I downloaded Wamp2 server and installed a copy of Dolphin on that enabling me to work locally with speed! I have an online site with a free templates (rounded corners etc) and think perhaps I could get into the workings of it to see how it was done! This is gonna be fun! Waiting for the Dolphin 7!

Quote · 21 Mar 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.