Database within Dolphin (PHP newbie question)

I have some database information I need to make available to my member base and am trying to figure out a fairly quick way to make this happen.  I'm not a programmer but hack away at scripts like many here and would like to learn at least some PHP.  I recently found some "code generators" that seemed pretty helpful - they directly read your phpmyadmin databases and guide you through a process where you get the really basic "add", "edit", and "delete" functions for records.   This one even let you add some "security" by specifing a table that has username and password data that permits user access to the detail records: http://www.sqlmaestro.com/products/mysql/phpgenerator/ I tried it with the Dolphin "profile" table but it didn't work with my password because Dolphin encrypts it.   Obviously, this is not a newbie issue, but how is this usually handled?  i.e.  when you are integrating another application and want to use your Dolphin member database for authentication how is it done?  Is there code that lets you translate the encrypted password field in the profile table back to what it was originally?  How else can I make my database available only to my registered members?

-

My second question is what other tools should I be using with an objective to build at least simple applications, while also learning a bit of PHP.  I downloaded PHP Cake last night, but haven't dug into it yet, and was also looking at smarty.   Any other thoughts on tools I should be looking at?

-

Rob

Quote · 23 Mar 2009

Hey,

I think you are going to have to use some of the dolphin code for your database user authentication. Maybe look at how dolphin authenticates then include that into your third part script. Unfortunately, I dont have anymore ideas beyond that for how to do it, sorry.

For your second question, maybe http://www.phpbuilder.com/ will help. But I just learned by playing with ZenCart for a few years...

Wish I could be more help...

Happiness is a warm gun.
Quote · 23 Mar 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.