Dolphin 10 Expectations, December 1

First of all, let me acknowledge that Dolphin is very powerful software. It is fast and with plenty of features that whet entrepreneurs and developers appetite. 

However, the design of Dolphin needs a complete rework and here is my expectation of the next Dolphin update:

(1) Remove too much margin and padding. Almost every div has margin and padding:20px: which create small space for contents on mobile devices. Let only the contents have margin and maybe the outer div.

(2) Stop uploading photos automatically when selected from user's device. Allow user to decide uploading after selecting photos

(3) Collect photos uploaded at a time into albums.

(4) Stop loading whole page every time user clicks next on a photo. Loaf next photo without loading whole page.

(5) Improve search with search suggestions.

(5) Remove search buttons from search page and do something like menus which do not take up too much space.

(6) Allow video and sounds to play in timeline, not open new page before play.

(7) open timeline photos in popup not open new page.

(8) Allow to crop ads photos before uploading.

(9) let group timeline be like regular timeline. Differences cause inconvenience

(10) Let forum have same comment and like and share.

(11) let comment and forum appear in timeline

(12) comment box takes too much space. Improve and make it smaller

(13) Stop automatically captioning sounds, photos, and videos with ugly original file names. Allow users to type caption is a better auto expandable text area. If user puts  no caption, then no caption; don't put file name there.

(14)  Remove that big action block from under photos, videos, ads etc. Put action buttons neatly on one row and with no big margin between action buttons and their content

(15) Allow users to rate once per logged in ID not IP address

(16) Appearance of all modules are same so let all modules share the same templates and CSS.

(17) Allow template designers to write their own CSS classes.

What I see on Boonex market is that, developers are recreating Dolphin cos of current poor design. Let Dolphin have the core features right so that developers can focus on developing more creative and advanced modules. 

Facebook and Twitter have already defined the trend of modern social network design. If you are doing something different, then you must do better else do same. Doing something different but less nice is not preferable

Quote · 7 Nov 2017

You don't want much.

Good luck with your expectations. Any reason why December 1st?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michel - Meta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 7 Nov 2017

You don't want much.

Good luck with your expectations. Any reason why December 1st?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michel - Meta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, these are the features Dolphin developers seem to ignore assuming they are okay. In their considerations, they seem to ignore these things, reason why I felt I needed to hammer them.

December 1st cos I remember I read that's when they are releasing Dolphin 10

Quote · 7 Nov 2017

That date was set a long time back.  Look at the Milestone; LEAP is only 5% complete

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 8 Nov 2017

If so, I will better create my own social network or switch to another 

That date was set a long time back.  Look at the Milestone; LEAP is only 5% complete

Quote · 8 Nov 2017

Herein is the problem. Most of your wish list doesn't worry me one little bit. You would no doubt say the same if I were to produce one.

The solution is additional Boonex or third party modules which allow you to get closer to what you want. The great thing about add-on's is that you only pay for, and add them as you need them. That makes every site individual.

A competitive script called ELGG has a very basic core and hundreds of free add-on's or modules to choose from. Most are created by third party developers free of charge and that is what makes the script very popular.

Even so, ELGG also suffers from a certain sameness. Developers often write mods they need, rather than what the public needs.

I'd love to see a few additional free mods for Dolphin, but only a couple of developers have written any.

What I'd also love to see is a crowd funding thread where people can (a) request a mod and (b) offer to help pay for its development. I'd start such a site myself but I have no idea as to how many people visit this forum or are even developing a Dolphin site. It could be 20 or 20,000, but I'm not about to waste time finding out.

Quote · 9 Nov 2017

I understand third party involvement in the success of any powerful software I know of. However, all Dolphin modules need rewrite if we are talking about make them easy and comfortable to use. 

I don't see why that should be the case. The same code they used to produce what seems like they did not take frontend users convince into consideration could be used to make existing modules look great.  

There are cheaper software out there that are well design so buyers don't have to worry about their user's convenience. Third party developers focus on developing creative modules not rewrote existing modules.

Dolphin is that software where users ask "How do I post photo?" "How do I change profile pic" etc.

Summary request is that they should make it intuitive to begin with.

Herein is the problem. Most of your wish list doesn't worry me one little bit. You would no doubt say the same if I were to produce one.

The solution is additional Boonex or third party modules which allow you to get closer to what you want. The great thing about add-on's is that you only pay for, and add them as you need them. That makes every site individual.

A competitive script called ELGG has a very basic core and hundreds of free add-on's or modules to choose from. Most are created by third party developers free of charge and that is what makes the script very popular.

Even so, ELGG also suffers from a certain sameness. Developers often write mods they need, rather than what the public needs.

I'd love to see a few additional free mods for Dolphin, but only a couple of developers have written any.

What I'd also love to see is a crowd funding thread where people can (a) request a mod and (b) offer to help pay for its development. I'd start such a site myself but I have no idea as to how many people visit this forum or are even developing a Dolphin site. It could be 20 or 20,000, but I'm not about to waste time finding out.

Quote · 9 Nov 2017

Thank you for the suggestions, we'll try to consider some of the points in the future versions:

https://github.com/boonex/dolphin.pro/issues/613

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 14 Nov 2017

That would be good

Thank you for the suggestions, we'll try to consider some of the points in the future versions:

https://github.com/boonex/dolphin.pro/issues/613

Quote · 16 Nov 2017

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.