Dolphin can only support 32K memebrs max?

I'd like an answer as to what exactly the Boonex developers plan to do about this ASAP please....

It is well known that Linux has a 32K directory limit for ages. So is it true that the Dolphin developers decided to make user photo directories for each user's photo album?

Would that not mean that if you're running Linux you are automatically limiting yourself to only 32K users by using the Dolphin script?

Quote · 30 May 2008

where are you seeing a directory for each user?

Quote · 30 May 2008

I'm sorry I meant profile PHOTO directories. Not profile directories. I just edited my post to reflect that.

Quote · 30 May 2008

Uhhh, thats a good Question! Didnt knew that before. Thanks for asking boonex.

Gosh, i installed Dolphin on a Linux Apache system. The community is growing, so what should i do when they reach the size 32k? Argh, this made dolphin unsuseable for me. Thanks for bringing light in this.

Now lets see some answers!

Quote · 30 May 2008

Guess no one has an answer for this one.

So what are we chalking this one up to "oops"?

Quote · 30 May 2008

Can anybody give a link with official information about such unix limitation?

Quote · 25 Jun 2008

Hey Andrey,

i think it is something with the inodes on unix systems. Cause these are limited to a fix number. And if Dolphin is making one folder per user and 3 pics for one pic, then you can reach this limit.

If anybody reaches this level with so many users, then hes also able to move to another filesystem which allowes more inodes then ext.

Hope thats right and helps ;)

Quote · 25 Jun 2008

At 32000 user shouldn't you think you need a second server for load-balancing ?

Which brings me to the question " Is the a possibility to store Dolphin-members on more than one server ? "

Quote · 25 Jun 2008

If anybody give official link about such restriction (number of folders in one folder at unix)

we will review mechanism of keeping multimedia in Dolphin.

Just need real be sure that it can be happen, and it not a myst

Quote · 26 Jun 2008

EXT2: File system limits

The reason for some limits of the ext2-file system are the file format of the data and the operating system's kernel. Mostly these factors will be determined once when the file system is built. They depend on the block size and the ratio of the number of blocks and inodes. Block sizes of 8 KB are only possible on alpha-architectures by default.

There are also many userspace programs that can't handle files larger than 2 GB.

The limit of sublevel-directories is about 32768. If the number of files in a directory exceeds 10000 to 15000 files, the user will normally be warned that operations can last for a long time. The theoretical limit on the number of files in a directory is 1.3 × 1020, although this is not relevant for practical situations.

Quote · 26 Jun 2008

Apparently Dolphin supports load balanced multi-server installs as of recent versions so this should not be an issue after all?

However......... I imagine if in theory a site were to grow so large that it was pulling in 32K members every month or every few weeks that WOULD be a problem.

Then again a site that huge would likely hire Boonex to code them a custom solution.

Quote · 26 Jun 2008

http://www.nexopia.com has 750,000 member and just now it has : Online: Friends 0 | Users 14763 | Guests 6255

they allow 12 pics per member and have paid membership with 50 pics limit

http://www.student.com has over 900.000, i work here, phpbb2 forums and chat, unlimited pics per user and 7 servers,

both sites are run on linux servers

and just for your info, people have bought the 50k and 100k member database for dolphin and installed it, one i have seen also comes with pics.

as no-one has provided a link from unix or linux where they state the limitations of their server engiens then i think its just talk.

1) Nexopia is not running dolphin....

2) Student.com is not running dolphin......

3) The 50k and 100k user packs are just that. USER packs. The limit factor comes in with the user's PHOTOS because the photos take up a folder per image. So installing a pack of a MILLION users would mean nothing because they do not create a FOLDER for each user's images when you install one of these packs of fake users. Dolphin only does that when real users add new images.

4) http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=linux+32k+directory+limit&btnG=Google+Search

5) Please stop talking.

Quote · 26 Jun 2008

One notice ..

Dolphin not use One folder per Any picture

now here just One folder per alls pictures of Any member

1 folder = all photos of 1 member

I found this:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=122241

Quote · 27 Jun 2008

Whatever happened to an answer on this?

Quote · 23 Jul 2008

Wow, you're stupidity is only matched by your ever increasing vigor to make ti seem that you know what you're talking about....

Let me explain it for you in no uncertain terms....

JUST BECAUSE THOSE SITES SHOW A DIRECTORY IN THE URL DOES NOT MEAN ITS A REAL DIRECTORY MORON...... Ever heard of .htaccess? mod_rewrite?

I have 3 questions for you... try to keep up.

1) Did you think that maybe those images are still being pulled from a DB and and using mod_rewrite to create static looking URLs?

2) Did you think ... just for a second.... that large sites like that sit on a server cluster hence eliminating the single server linux directory issue?

3) Are you really as stupid as you are trying to portray yourself?

I asked you to please stop talking in my last post. Why do you continue to try? You keep making an ass of yourself and your scaring the noobs with your evil bitch "act". Besides I told you before... those of us that actually know what we're talking about are laughing at you. Why do you think none of the more knowledgeable people on this board step in to agree with you on this?

Don't hurt yourself pondering that question....

Quote · 23 Jul 2008

Answer to the orginal Q. When I started with D I spent about 3 weeks with Engineers in the PLanet discussing this vary issue on a latitude of hosting concepts. The simple answer is Single dedicated into Rack formation off-setting the load with switches and mirrors of the orginal plat. Is there a max.? HARDWARE determines the amount of power/space any dedicated has Rack expands that which leads to Cabinet and Isle formation(s). It is what all BIG NET platforms do!!!!

Start with one and add a switch for 2 etc. The orginal plat I developed started with a Clovertown which is in essence a 3 in 1 mondo server which stands alone next to the first rack and immediately had a switch/mirror to 2 RAIDS. To much, To expensive, To Fast...HOWEVER and the B-Team knows I built it...I was able to answer that question of how many users...and a single dedicated box especially in the "QUAD Core era" can far exceed your 32K limit.

Hardware is the foundation of good platformed software. Have alot of hardware you have a lot of room for growth. This is why Shared hosting is absolutely unacceptable UNLESS someone (like my self) builds/built a SHARED hosting enviro specifically for D-software.

With the cost of Dedicated becoming affordable then building a rack for your Dolphin community will not be an issue. Ultimately your just watching the loads...When they exceed 80% time to popin another server :)

Hope this answers your orginal question. The limits you are referring to are standard guidlines for proper single server load distributions with regards to performance of overall server. Guidelines not Absolutes because hardware ultimately determines load capacity.

Quote · 24 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.