Editing Dolphin

I'm using the standard template with Dolphin 6.1.4 and am trying to make the site look as I want it to.

Mainly my issues are text colors. or rather the colors of links in the blocks on the index page (and others when I get that far) and the join now/member login links in the logo block.

I've succeeded in changing the colors on the menu bars, and that's great, but my problem now is the clickable links in the actual blocks themselves (e.g. article titles, stats, etc) are the standard blue and I can't seem to find the css file to change them.

The only thing that I can think of is that these colors are those in the css files that are #xxx instead of #xxxxxx.

I have edited /tmpl_uni/anchor, general and index.css and changed all of the teal colors (and others that I wanted to change) but when it comes to 3 digit colors, I'm lost...

I have many more changes I want to make, but I just want to get the site coloring looking right before I start digging deeper into the code (and then I'll probably have tons more questions :p)

Quote · 5 Sep 2008

actually I hadn't figured it out so thanks :)

@sammie I'm not really an FF fan, sorry to say, so even though it has all these nice features I think I'll just keep on struggling on with IE..

and yeah, I know I should really stop being so stuck in my ways and use the best browser out there.. (which I don't doubt that FF is) I just can't do it lol

thanks for the replies :)

Quote · 5 Sep 2008

Hey lazaru,

Try looking at my post it has a lot of CSS info there on where and what to change! Cool

http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/#topic/CSS-to-edit-for-HomePage-Blocks.htm

Quote · 5 Sep 2008

thanks Irepton, I had already read your thread though..

it wasn't the same thing I was having a problem with, but I've fixed it now anyways..

needed to edit anchor.css to do it :)

I am on a very steep learning curve atm, but enjoying it when I succeed with what I'm trying to do :D

Quote · 5 Sep 2008

If you haven't already run into them you will but there are some editing problems when using IE.  Firefox will make your editing and posts easier as well.  Only way I log in to my admin and no problems.  Shoot the dying horse ad ride a thoroughbred.

Quote · 5 Sep 2008

I'm actually editing in notepad on my pc then uploading the edited css via ftp, not trying to use the editor in the acp at all..

easier to keep track of what i'm changing then (and copies of the unedited file).

Quote · 6 Sep 2008

You will need FireFox for anything in the builders also as Internet EXploder won't save your changes.
There are some other areas the same way  .....

Try different browsers  .....  No browser is consistent across the entire installation  ..... 

Quote · 6 Sep 2008

I think that's a tad harsh.. for one.. I haven't ignored the advice and help, I've acted on it.

I installed FF onto my laptop after reading Tallyplayer's and RumpyBumpy's posts regarding the issues with IE (just to see if I noticed a difference..) And yes I have noticed the differences, so now that I've seen that I also know that I was never going to get Dolphin working as I would like whilst using IE. (I did this earlier today but have been out since so hadn't had a chance to post a thank you before now).

The fact that I prefer IE for browsing is just that, my preference. Do you flame people because they drive a different car to you, or because they don't like the same music? I doubt it, so why flame me because I prefer IE (or rather am used to IE)?

I had already conceded that FF was the better browser, and that it was my choice to stick with what I know. How would you know that I don't view my sites in other browsers? FYI, I view them in Opera, FF and IE and also have other people bug-test, view and comment on them.

Just because I don't have anything other than IE on my PC's doesn't mean that I don't have access to other browsers, I'm an IT tech by trade and regularly visit clients to solve computer issues. I always 'plug' my sites when there, and so I use whatever their default browser is. (Strangely enough, the majority are still using IE).

Do you speak to your paying customers in the same way as you just did to me? I doubt they would remain customers for very long if you do.

I appreciate the help and advice that people have already offered, and thanks for that, genuinely. I don't appreciate being flamed for my personal preferences and, quite frankly, am disappointed that a "respected and knowledgeable member" would stoop to that.

As I said, I am on a very steep learning curve regarding Dolphin, and am very interested in what people have to say. I didn't know that there were compatability issues with IE, nobody had actually said that until Tallyplayer mentioned it. That was mainly because I was only editing CSS files and not delving into the other areas, as soon as I did try to edit other things, I noticed 'issues' and so tried what was suggested. That's what I would expect someone to do with advice I had given them, let them discover the problem for themselves (and then act on the solution given..).

On a side note, I also started another thread yesterday regarding classifieds, to date there has been no replies. My question then is, where are the 'respected and knowledgable' members when it comes to questions regarding the functionality of Dolphin? It doesn't matter, I'm sure that I'll figure it out anyway. I was just trying to cut corners and get where I want to be sooner rather than later.

Once again, thanks for the help already given, it really is much appreciated. :)

Quote · 6 Sep 2008

Sorry Ted, you misunderstood..

this thread was about the styling, yeah, and with the help given and also dabbling myself, I have got the 'look' of the pages I was playing around with as I want it.

Now I've moved on to the functionality as I'm not sure what pages may need further styling until I know which ones will be used by which people (if at all) hence the new thread regarding the classifieds. The whole point of the site is that it is a commercial venture so it seemed the logical place to begin.

The thread I'm referring to is this one:

http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/topic/Classifieds-and-Monetizing-Questions-.htm 

and isn't about style at all, but how they can be used to make money and can they be varied depending on membership levels.

The thread regarding the styling of them is helpful though, saves me having to look again later when I get around to it, so thanks for that :)

Laz

Quote · 6 Sep 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.