Favicon with new template

I have a new theme who is under templates/BASE-X. I created an icon and uploaded it to /media/images and I inserted the code

<link rel="shortcut icon" href=http://www.mysite.com/media/images/favicon.ico"> in the file

templates/BASE-X/_header.html as recomended. However, the icon is not vissible.

Is there some other code to change when the site has a new theme?

Quote · 25 Jan 2009

I have noticed that there is different ways to place the line -

<link rel="shortcut icon" href=http://  www.  yoursite.  com/media/images/favicon.gif>

Some say it will be pasted before the tag </head> of templates/base/_header.html and others recommend

between the <head> tags </head>.

Neither works for me with .ico or .png. Now I tried with .gif

Anyone who can give me a hint?

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

I don't understand what adding the code is all about.  You should only have to upload favicon.ico to your sites root directory.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 20 Mar 2009

I don't understand what adding the code is all about.  You should only have to upload favicon.ico to your sites root directory.

Not all browsers automatically check for favicon.ico in the root directory. The correct way to add it is to specify it as stated.

Also you may need to clear your cache to view the icon

Provided that the cache is not preventing your new favicon from being downloaded the icon should appear pretty much instantly.

To clear the cache -

For Firefox users - tools > clear private data or use something like the web developer plugin

For IE users - get Firefox :)

(j/k)

Holding down ctrl whilst doing a page refresh should do it.

Dolphin - Ajax Masturbation
Quote · 20 Mar 2009

BTW the code should go between the head tags.

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

Question did you convert your new picture to .ICO?

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

I converted the pic to .ico and as I told I also tested .png and now .gif. Just have to wait some days to see if it works.

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

I converted the pic to .ico and as I told I also tested .png and now .gif. Just have to wait some days to see if it works.

Clear the cache, it will appear right away.

DM.

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

hi there

created favicon 16x16 px,

saved for web as favicon.gif

re-saved as favicon.ico

uploaded to root public_html

refreshed website

looks very nice

60 seconds or less

Quote · 20 Mar 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.