Gallery Images uploading, not a bug, but....

.... very cumbersome.

Why not use that fancy new uploader  for gallery images?  It's a real pain in the ass to upload a dozen photos the way it is now. 

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 15 Jul 2015

Which gallery do you mean? Sorry, I'm a little confused. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 15 Jul 2015

Which gallery do you mean? Sorry, I'm a little confused. 

Gallery images is what Boonex calls group photos, event photos, etc.... you know the ones... the ones with those awful little round thumbnail strips.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 15 Jul 2015

Files attachments to Groups, Events, etc is not standalone - it is submitted with the other entry data. New AJAX uploader is for files only (titles are added using the custom way). So adding new uploader here requires major structural changes, also it will break compatibility with many 3rd-party modules. We will consider to improve files uploader in Groups, Events, Store, etc in future versions - we'll try to find some way to not break compatibility or minimal changes will be required.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 16 Jul 2015

RE:

So adding new uploader here requires major structural changes,

But you're so good at that sort of thing Alex.  A smart guy like you could knock this out in no time.

We will consider to improve files uploader in Groups, Events, Store, etc in future versions

Sorry... bad answer.  A 'Future version' could translate to five years from now.  The major differences in image uploading between photo albums and gallery images really stands out, and affects site usability in a negative way. Users don't understand why adding group photos, etc, is so cumbersome when adding multiple photos to a photo album is a simple process....now with client side image resizing, the difference stands out even more. The problem is more serious than you may think.

will break compatibility with many 3rd-party modules.

What 3rd party modules?  This is version 7.2. There are no 3rd party modules for 7.2.  Besides, if the method by which multiple photos are uploaded has any effect at all on a 3rd party module, something needs to change anyway... it shouldn't be that way.

Quote · 16 Jul 2015

Its bit confusing. Please kindly post any snapshot to elaborate. That would be very help for us ( newbies) to understand and will help us to second your thoughts.

The major differences in image uploading between photo albums and gallery images really stands out, and affects site usability in a negative way.

Umar Haroon
Quote · 16 Jul 2015

Its bit confusing.

What's confusing about it?  Just go upload a dozen photos to a Group or Event, then go upload a dozen photos to a photo album (use the new html uploader in 7.2).  You should notice a few differences.

BTW... I know you like to do everything on your cell phone, but a real computer might help with this test.

.. and no I'm not posting any screen shots.

Quote · 16 Jul 2015

Lol. Just say there is no html5 uploader for events and groups. Its old 1 :D did u notice for wall there is html5 uploader but you can only upload single file there as well. 

Umar Haroon
Quote · 16 Jul 2015

will break compatibility with many 3rd-party modules.

What 3rd party modules?  This is version 7.2. There are no 3rd party modules for 7.2.  Besides, if the method by which multiple photos are uploaded has any effect at all on a 3rd party module, something needs to change anyway... it shouldn't be that way.

We believe that many 3rd-party module which are compatible with 7.1 version will work with 7.2 without modification (or modifications will be minimal). 

What we would probably can do is to leave adding Group, Event form is it is, but add HTML5 uploader to the separate photos upload page. So after adding the Groups, Event and attaching one thumbnail - you can upload bunch of photos on the separate page. 

Quote · 17 Jul 2015

What we would probably can do is to leave adding Group, Event form is it is, but add HTML5 uploader to the separate photos upload page. So after adding the Groups, Event and attaching one thumbnail - you can upload bunch of photos on the separate page. 

That would be a big improvement over the way it is now.  If you did that, I think it would be a good idea to have an admin option to disable the image upload fields in the form for the various modules.  Personally, I think those fields could be eliminated entirely... I never liked having to add all the photos via the add/edit form anyway.   Certainly Groups and Events could work that way.... Ads may be fine as-is.

Quote · 17 Jul 2015

Why not launch 7.2 A (Bend the codes the way you like) and 7.2 B ( Minimal changes for old modules) 

We believe that many 3rd-party module which are compatible with 7.1 version will work with 7.2 without modification (or modifications will be minimal). 

Umar Haroon
Quote · 17 Jul 2015

RE: He still has problems. ..

What are you talking about?  This topic is about gallery images in Groups, Events, Ads, etc .... nothing else

Quote · 17 Jul 2015

This topic is NOT about the Boonex Photos module. If anyone wants to comment about the Boonex Photo Module, you may do so in in your own separate topic.

Quote · 17 Jul 2015

http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/ticket/3560 

That would be a big improvement over the way it is now.  If you did that, I think it would be a good idea to have an admin option to disable the image upload fields in the form for the various modules.  Personally, I think those fields could be eliminated entirely... I never liked having to add all the photos via the add/edit form anyway.   Certainly Groups and Events could work that way.... Ads may be fine as-is.

Quote · 18 Jul 2015

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.