HTTP 404 Not Found

Hi

Did a fresh install of dolphin this morning. When I create a test user and log in, everything initially appears normal, however server of the tabs that I am click on display a 404 error. Even click on the link to the new users page now gives a 404 error e.g. www.awebsite.com/newuser . That link does not exist but is just an example of the path it is trying to access. I found a topic here where someone was getting the same problem as me.

http://www.boonex.com/unity/forums/?action=goto&topic_id=Getting-Error-404-with-Dolphin 

However this solution does not fit my particular situation as, for my sins, the hosting server is a windows server. So .htaccess files are not used.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

Quote · 5 Aug 2008

Ah well. 3 webhosts later and I still cannot get a proper default install of Dolphin. For you information the hosts I have used streamline, lycos and yahoo so far. Yahoo I got furthest with and they had a nice email client, very nice. Pity. The down side was that it was on windows and there was no ssh access, there again I dont see the point is ssh access if it is not linux/unix as you dont get the same flexibility in command power. correct me I may be wrong. 

Quote · 5 Aug 2008

Okay installed apache, mysql, php on my windows PC. Got it all working eventually, however lots of googling was needed. Installed dolphin and still the same problem trying to access a users page. That is when I used google rather than the boonex search engine. I found the following link http://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/GenDolTShooter#WhenItrytoopensomebodysprofileIgetthispage

there is a lot of relevant stuff in that link, but toward the bottom it states that disabling Friendly profile permalinks in Settings -> Permalinks, and then "recompile Navigation Menu Builder in Admin Panel -> Builders -> Navigation Menu Builder by moving any block here".

This sorted the 404 issue for accessing other users profiles. Although I still get a 404 for accessing tabs like the 'Articles' tab. Does not matter for the moment.

Is this a windows thing? Is this why no one seems to recognise the issue, as they are mostly using linux? Should the software not rebuild the menus each time a permalink switch is changed? Lastly, what the hell is a permalink? Suppose I better google it :P.

If you are reading this then hopefully you will be able to help someone else with this problem. 

Cheers

Paul

Quote · 7 Aug 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.