How to make join form error more obvious

Does anyone know of a way to make the join form errors more obvious?  If someone forgets to fill in a field at the top of the page, and they click the Submit button at the bottom of the page, it just looks like nothing is happening.  Anyone know how to make the page reload to the top with a big red ERROR message, or maybe a Javascript alert window?

Thanks.

Quote · 3 Sep 2008

Well, for now I'll have to content myself with putting a big bold message under the Submit button to let folks know what's up.  Within templates/base/scripts/BxBaseFormView.php search for:

function genFormEnd() {
$this -> sCode .= "</form>";
}

and replace with:

function genFormEnd() {
$this -> sCode .= "</form>";
$this -> sCode .= '<p style="margin-top: 20px; padding: 20px; background-color: yellow;"><strong>IMPORTANT:</strong> if nothing happens when you click the Submit button, check all your entries to make sure that you didn\'t miss anything.</p>';
}

Quote · 10 Sep 2008

Cool crunch  .....  better than nothing:)

Thanks  .....

Quote · 10 Sep 2008

Hi

I had pondered the same thing the other day. Rather than put an error at the bottom, I decided to spread the join page over a number of pages (easily done in the fields builder), so that all the fields, for any particular page are present within the visible browser area. So if a field turns red with an error it can easily be seen. The main flaw in my reasoning is that all the fields fit my browser visable area and not necessarily another persons. 

I will probably implement that one myself. Thanks for that Crunch. 

Cheers

Paul

Quote · 10 Sep 2008

/home/fdd/public_html/inc/js/join.js

changes in bold below and i will display pop-up windows on error and dont forget to clear the cache and reload the page before testing . tested on 7.0.9

function doShowJoinErrors( aErrors, eForm ) {
    if( !aErrors || !eForm )
        return false;

var bHaveErrors = false;
    var sErrorlist = '';
    for( var iInd = 0; iInd < aErrors.length; iInd ++ ) {
        var aErrorsInd = aErrors[iInd];
        for( var sField in aErrorsInd ) {
            var sError = aErrorsInd[ sField ];
            sErrorlist = sErrorlist + ' ' + sError + '\n';
            bHaveErrors = true;

doShowError( eForm, sField, iInd, sError );
        }
    }

if( bHaveErrors ){
        alert( sErrorlist  );
        doShowError( eForm, 'do_submit', 0, _t('_Errors in join form') );
        }
    else
        eForm.submit();
}

Quote · 13 Sep 2012

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.