Media(photos,videos, files and attachments),forums

Restructructing the photos, videos, files, attachments and forums is required in boonex dolphin for current trends.

Already the things existing in Una like 'files or media upload, viewing photos, and videos, etc.' were implemented well. Also, the discussions in una was structured well with profile icons.

Pls review these things and consider for dolphin during next upgrade and let us know about the next upgrade and integration with jot messenger.

Quote · 18 Mar 2018

Is that a brick wall you're talking to :)

Quote · 18 Mar 2018

Atleast file attachments for messages should be implemented soon.

Quote · 20 May 2018

May I ask where you read that?

The reason I ask is that there hasn't been a news update since the 14th February 2017 when they announced the inclusion of Rocket(?) Chat into the core.

That was 15 months ago. All other news items are about updates. There is NOTHING on this site to generate excitement and I can't understand why. It's not hard to let people know whats happening  . . . . . unless of course, nothing is happening!

Quote · 20 May 2018

There is NOTHING on this site to generate excitement and I can't understand why. It's not hard to let people know whats happening  . . . . . unless of course, nothing is happening!

well for starters you could stop talking negative about the software on their own forums that you still use and if im not mistaken...you can even use it for free?? Just some advice. if you get something for free, dont complain about it. it brings negative vibes to the community and new customers of boonex would be less tempted to use it from what they see here. and im not saying that you get it for free. im just saying you are able to.

Quote · 20 May 2018

Yes, I do use a free version of Dolphin for a couple of reasons: (1) It's open source and you essentially pay for support which is virtually non existent except for forum visits from Alex-T and Leonid. There's no manual, the Wiki isn't well maintained and there are no program help files. This is typical of almost every open source script, so I fully accept that with something that's free.  (2) I run a community site where I put in an enormous amount of effort but receive no income of any kind. The free version of Dolphin helps me do that and I'm grateful.

On the other hand, I'm fully responsible for a licensed site, but I don't use the owner's username on the forum in an effort to gain brownie points if they actually exist. I also spend hundreds of hours trying to overcome issues with that site as well. I moved it from version 7.1.4 which was ancient, to 7.3.4 and there was virtually nothing in the way of enhancements between those versions. At least I couldn't see any and I've had a bloody good look.

The licensed site owner needs me to maintain it for him because he's completely lost without a manual of some description to help him maintain the site. Fortunately for him, I do this for free even though I've never met the man.

We live in Australia and the AU$ price for Dolphin is close to $800. For that price one would like to think they were buying into something progressive and not something knocking on heaven's door. I'm not saying it is, but that's how the promotional side of Dolphin makes it look. All roads seem to lead to UNA.

Dolphin needs some serious and urgent TLC. The only person to do that is its reclusive owner and I'd even volunteer to help in some way to offset my using the script for NIX. Sadly, we seldom hear from him, but he should be on this forum almost daily interacting with his customers and users. If he was, you may be surprised to see how much things would begin to improve.

The other day I received a complaint from a member of the licensed site. He said he tried to access the site exclusively on his mobile phone, but was unable to do so. I tried on my phone and everything looked fine, but I read only today that some mobiles (Apple?) struggle with Flash and Dolphin is full of Flash. Instead of playing with UNA, maybe it would be nice if the Dolphin developers looked at the hands that feed them and tried fixing that issue for starters.

Quote · 20 May 2018

and Dolphin is full of Flash.

Let's talk about this.  Where is Dolphin full of Flash?  I have been running a live site for several years now.  

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 20 May 2018

I read only today that some mobiles (Apple?) struggle with Flash and Dolphin is full of Flash.

I don't think it was Flash that the member couldn't log on.  Now, I have noticed the pop-up login is not the best for some phones.  I have issues using it on my Android based phone.  I loose the focus trying to go from user to password.  My Android phone has a small screen.  The solution is to just do away with the pop-up login form; especially if your site users are mostly phone users.

Quote · 20 May 2018

The truth is that Boonex is seeing UNA as their cash cow.  At one point, and that is probably still in the works, the idea was to change the structure of Dolphin licensing.  The change in the licensing was put on hold but it may come back at some point.  It only stands to reason that you are going to focus development on that which you think will make you money.  Perhaps Boonex at some point will decide to release Dolphin as Open Source and let it be a community project.  I kept hearing that Dolphin is open source; Johnk42, Dolphin is not Open Source.  It is released under the Creative Commons Licensing; that is not Open Source.  However, I don't think there are enough developers interested in Dolphin to make it a viable open source project.  If Dolphin can make Boonex money, then they will will focus on it more.  The development of Dolphin is not dead but it is moving slowly. 

Quote · 20 May 2018

@geekgirl, I read this in a recent post today but didn't bookmark it. I've never tried to use Chat or upload photos, so we've asked the member to be more specific. As you say, I did struggle to log on, but when I did, what I did see worked as expected.

Other points taken in.

Quote · 20 May 2018

@geekgirl, I read this in a recent post today but didn't bookmark it. I've never tried to use Chat or upload photos, so we've asked the member to be more specific. As you say, I did struggle to log on, but when I did, what I did see worked as expected.

Other points taken in.

There is one area that needs to be change that requires the Flash Apps section in admin.  The settings for video quality are set in the Flash Apps that writes to an xml file.  So if you have a system without being able to use that Flash app, video, then you won't be able to make changes to the video settings.  That needs to be moved to the video settings of the video module in the admin.  Of course if one knows how Dolphin works, they can just edit that xml file directly and make changes.  It still needs to be changed though.  However, people should not be using Apple products, it should not be Apple's decision to force users to bend to their will; the users should decide if they don't want to use Flash.

Quote · 20 May 2018

Dolphin is not Open Source.  It is released under the Creative Commons Licensing; that is not Open Source.

On the boonex.com landing page: 

Open-source software for creating custom social networks and web communities.

Quote · 21 May 2018

Dolphin is not Open Source.  It is released under the Creative Commons Licensing; that is not Open Source.

On the boonex.com landing page: 

Open-source software for creating custom social networks and web communities.

I don't think Dolphin meets the criteria of being open source.  For one, some of the code is encrypted. While they moved to GitHub with a fork me thing I am not sure that one can actually fork Dolphin; giving it a new name and removing the Boonex licensing requirement, including removing the slide in bug.  Dolphin still has the Creative Commons licensing.

Open source doesn't just mean access to the source code. The distribution terms of open-source software must comply with the following criteria:

1. Free Redistribution The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.
  2. Source Code The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form. Where some form of a product is not distributed with source code, there must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source code for no more than a reasonable reproduction cost preferably, downloading via the Internet without charge. The source code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would modify the program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not allowed. Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or translator are not allowed.
  3. Derived Works The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software.
  4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit distribution of software built from modified source code. The license may require derived works to carry a different name or version number from the original software.
  5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons.
  6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.
  7. Distribution of License The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the program is redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license by those parties.
  8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the original software distribution.
  9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software The license must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium must be open-source software.
  10. License Must Be Technology-Neutral No provision of the license may be predicated on any individual technology or style of interface.
Quote · 21 May 2018

I Request boonex to implement things without delay. Google captcha was the only thing I have seen to get update. But I already used it by purchasing from market.

There must be simultaneous improvement in dolphin with una. I hope you have enough code to do this and implementation decisions.

Quote · 21 May 2018

Our main priority at the moment is to release UNA v9 final. Later this week or early next week we plan to release a huge feature update and a Dolphin to UNA migration module. The plan for what happens next is still shaping up, but I can assure you that our foremost priority is to find the best way to equip our existing customers with the best solution possible. For some a migration would be the best option, while others would be better off using Dolphin and getting service updates. Licensing will most certainly change, but those with a current paid license will benefit, not lose. 

Sorry for being cryptic, but I really don't want to go into details until the specific plan is finalised. The next couple of weeks will bring a big shake-up. 

Heart Head Hands
Quote · 23 May 2018

Thanks for reply.

Is it possible for people with third party modules or extensions in dolphin to migrate to UNA? If not, pls focus on service updates like media (photos, videos, files and their extensions), covers and timelines, forums, messages and jot messenger.

Quote · 23 May 2018

Thanks for reply.

Is it possible for people with third party modules or extensions in dolphin to migrate to UNA? If not, pls focus on service updates like media (photos, videos, files and their extensions), covers and timelines, forums, messages and jot messenger.

A Dolphin to UNA migration will only migrate Dolphin modules.  If you have third party modules that add content or features, those will not migrate to UNA.  Also, I would assume that if a module is present in Dolphin and NOT in UNA, then that content will not be migrated since there is no place in UNA to migrate that content.

Quote · 23 May 2018

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.