Merge Emails into Mass Mailer

I have a list of email addresses that I would like to add to the mass mailer only part of the site. I don't want to merge them into the profiles as these emails were subscribed to an e-newsletter before and I would like them to receive the mass mailer in lieu of.

-

Also, is there a way for them to opt-out or let's say they signed up for the mass mailer and now they want out ... how (specifically) do I go about this?

-

Thanks,

-

Lorren

-

V6.1.4

Quote · 21 Feb 2009
Quote · 21 Feb 2009

Did you post something?

Quote · 21 Feb 2009

Anyone?

Quote · 22 Feb 2009

BUMP

Quote · 22 Feb 2009

Hope this helps you.

Mass Mailer, Subscription List Tutorial

You can find the list of email addresses in your dolphin database. You can add to this list without someone
becoming a member.  This list is created when someone uses the subscribe feature (usually on the index page of dolphin).
There are a couple of ways you can do this.
1. add the details manually to the database one by one - using phpMyAdmin from your cPanel or
2. import the list to your database - you will need to create an SQL query and execute that.

The database section you would add these emails to is called: NotifyEmails

You would need to create the SQL query in the following format:

INSERT INTO `database_name`.`NotifyEmails` (`ID`, `Name`, `Email`, `EmailFlag`, `EmailText`)
VALUES (NULL, '', '', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'), (NULL, 'NAME', 'EMAIL ADDRESS', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML');

Remember to change `database_name` to the name of your database

The email list would need to be set up in the following way:

(NULL, 'NAME', 'EMAIL ADDRESS', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML');

NULL - leave this as is, it will allocate automatically the next number in the database, so there are no duplicates.
'NAME' - Persons Name as you wish for it to appear on the email.
'EMAIL ADDRESS' - this one pretty obvious, the persons email address.
'NotifyMe' - There are 2 options for this one, 'NotifyMe', 'NotNotifyMe' - again pretty obvious, choose notify or not notify.
'HTML' - There are 3 options for this one, 'HTML', 'Text', 'Not sure' - choose the format of the email you wish to be sent to the person.

So an example of how your SQL query should look is below:

INSERT INTO `database_name`.`NotifyEmails` (`ID`, `Name`, `Email`, `EmailFlag`, `EmailText`)
VALUES (NULL, '', '', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'),(NULL, 'Test User', 'testuser@testuser.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'), (NULL, '', 'testemail@testemail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'),

Ok, when you have got them all in the database and you want to send a mass email:

Admin Panel > Tools > Mass Mailer >

Enter your email details that you want sent out. Subject and HTML.

Add Message > or Preview the Add Message

Where it says Queue message

Select - Send to subscribers (to only send to this email list you created) or
Select - Both Send to Subscribers and Send to members (for both sets).

Select - the other options that are available where applicable, eg. country, membership, etc..

Click Queue Message and you are done.

To opt-out, I would suggest you have a disclaimer on each of the emails that you send with an opt out address, eg. unsubscribe@yoursite.com - the user would send an email to this address then you would need to manually remove the persons entry from the database.  dolphin does not have the option to opt out of the subscription email (hopefully in future versions it will).

clubbeyourself
Quote · 22 Feb 2009

Excellent Club...I will try the mysql query and also add the disclaimer.

-

I have already been sending out Mass Mailers...but have been asked by some to be unsubscribed. Kind of a pain to do this manually. But one can hope for this in future editions.

-

Thanks!

-

Lorren

-

PS: You should post this tutorial on Unity under your blog. Wink I, for one, need tutorials on mysql for Dolphin.

-

Hope this helps you.

You can find the list of email addresses in your dolphin database. You can add to this list without someone
becoming a member.  This list is created when someone uses the subscribe feature (usually on the index page of dolphin).
1. add the details manually to the database one by one - using phpMyAdmin from your cPanel or
2. import the list to your database - you will need to create an SQL query and execute that.

VALUES (NULL, '', '', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'), (NULL, 'NAME', 'EMAIL ADDRESS', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML');

NULL - leave this as is, it will allocate automatically the next number in the database, so there are no duplicates.
'NotifyMe' - There are 2 options for this one, 'NotifyMe', 'NotNotifyMe' - again pretty obvious, choose notify or not notify.
'HTML' - There are 3 options for this one, 'HTML', 'Text', 'Not sure' - choose the format of the email you wish to be sent to the person.

VALUES (NULL, '', '', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'),(NULL, 'Test User', 'testuser@testuser.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'), (NULL, '', 'testemail@testemail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'),

Ok, when you have got them all in the database and you want to send a mass email:

Select - the other options that are available where applicable, eg. country, membership, etc..

To opt-out, I would suggest you have a disclaimer on each of the emails that you send with an opt out address, eg. unsubscribe@yoursite.com - the user would send an email to this address then you would need to manually remove the persons entry from the database.  dolphin does not have the option to opt out of the subscription email (hopefully in future versions it will).

Quote · 23 Feb 2009

lrepton

-

You are most welcome and thanks, I might just post this on my blog.  I wrote it specifically for you but yeah could be handy for others.

-

Glad it helped you out.

clubbeyourself
Quote · 23 Feb 2009

If you don't want to mess with the database I can recommend a fairly low cost commercial service emailbrain.com

They have email address management and "opt-out" technology wired - something Dolphin really isn't designed to do.

-

Rob

Quote · 24 Feb 2009

Still not sure about these mySQL queries. Here is the error I received after trying to import just one record.

-

Error

There seems to be an error in your SQL query. The MySQL server error output below, if there is any, may also help you in diagnosing the problem

ERROR: Unclosed quote @ 52
STR: '
SQL:
(NULL,'NAME','smith92386@gmail.com',NotifyMe','Text');

SQL query:

MySQL said: Documentation

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'NULL,'NAME','smith92386@gmail.com',NotifyMe','Text')' at line 1

Hope this helps you.

Quote · 5 Mar 2009

I am in phpmyadmin, andunder tab sql query for database:

Entered the following:

INSERT INTO `coffee13_news`.`NotifyEmails` (`ID`, `Name`, `Email`, `EmailFlag`, `EmailText`)
VALUES (NULL, '', '', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'),(NULL, 'Test User', 'smith92315@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'), (NULL, '', 'smith92386@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'),

Click GO.

Get the following error.

Error

SQL query:

INSERT INTO `coffee13_news`.`NotifyEmails` (

`ID` ,
`Name` ,
`Email` ,
`EmailFlag` ,
`EmailText`
)
VALUES (
NULL , '', '', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'
), (
NULL , 'Test User', 'smith92315@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'
), (
NULL , '', 'smith92386@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'
),

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 2

Quote · 5 Mar 2009

Can I get some help here pretty please? Tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks.

-

L

Quote · 5 Mar 2009

What is that set of two single quotes between comma's on line two (right after NULL)?  Sorry, I am not an SQL guy but that doesn't look right.

Quote · 5 Mar 2009

Dunno...it was the code Club gave me here.

-

What is that set of two single quotes between comma's on line two (right after NULL)?  Sorry, I am not an SQL guy but that doesn't look right.

Quote · 5 Mar 2009

Still can't get this worked out. Ugh.

Quote · 5 Mar 2009

Perhaps OKweb will be on sooooonnnnn!

Quote · 6 Mar 2009

ANYONE WITH mySQL KNOWLEDGE OUT THERE?

Quote · 6 Mar 2009

OK, so I just put a name in between the two '' so that maybe the query wouldn't freak out...but it did.

-

Error

SQL query:

`ID` ,
`Name` ,
`Email` ,
`EmailFlag` ,
`EmailText`
)
VALUES (
NULL , 'Test User', 'smith92315@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'Text'
), (
NULL , 'Test', 'smith92386@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'Text'
),

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 2

Quote · 6 Mar 2009

Here is a screenshot of what I am doing so that someone might point out what is wrong here.

Quote · 6 Mar 2009

Hey Rob how come you're getting all the love from MyDatery.....Does he know mySQL?

-

I have given everything I can think of so someone can tell me what in the heck I am doing wrong.

-

Lorren

Quote · 6 Mar 2009

Lorren, your missing an apostrophe in line 2, here is what you have:

Here is what you should have:

(NULL,'NAME','smith92386@gmail.com','NotifyMe','Text');

Just before NotifyMe your missing an apostrophe, place it after the comma and before the N

Let us know if this fixes your problem.  It's simple to miss something like this and we have all done it.  Just take your time and you'll figure it all out. 

Quote · 6 Mar 2009

Yes, I had fixed the missing ' .

-

Now I get this error...same one.

-

Error

SQL query:

`ID` ,
`Name` ,
`Email` ,
`EmailFlag` ,
`EmailText`
)
VALUES (
NULL , 'Test User', 'smith92315@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'
), (
NULL , 'Test', 'smith92386@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'
),

Quote · 24 Mar 2009

This is my query:-

-

INSERT INTO `coffee13_news`.`NotifyEmails` (`ID`, `Name`, `Email`, `EmailFlag`, `EmailText`)
VALUES (NULL, 'Test User', 'smith92315@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'), (NULL, 'Test', 'smith92386@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'),

-

Could it be the period between the 'database_name' and 'NotifyEmails'     ?

-

Nope that gives the error about replacing period with comma.

-

mySQL help desperately need here? Just give me and idea on what to fix?

Quote · 24 Mar 2009

-

VALUES (NULL, 'Test User', 'smith92315@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'), (NULL, 'Test', 'smith92386@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'),

-

-

-

Shall work if you delete the , in last line...

Quote · 24 Mar 2009

Using mySQL 5.0.51a-community version.

Quote · 24 Mar 2009

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 24 Mar 2009

OKweb, you always come up trumps!

-

Inserted rows: 2
Inserted row id: 4 (Query took 0.0195 sec)

-

It worked! I was trying to understand  [right syntax to use near '' at line 2] when in fact I didn't see quotes or two apos together.

-

Thanks again for this!

-

~~L

-

-

-

-

Shall work if you delete the , in last line...

Quote · 24 Mar 2009

You don't really need to specify the database name if you're using phpmyadmin... if you're working on a specific database, that is.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 24 Mar 2009

Thanks for this. I'll try it.

-

~~L

You don't really need to specify the database name if you're using phpmyadmin... if you're working on a specific database, that is.

Quote · 24 Mar 2009

Thanks for this. I'll try it.

-

~~L

It's no big deal... it doesn't hurt to leave it in there.  If you're executing the query on coffee13_news, then this query will do the same thing:

INSERT INTO NotifyEmails (`ID` ,`Name` ,`Email` ,`EmailFlag` ,`EmailText`) VALUES ( NULL , 'Test User', 'smith92315@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML'), ( NULL , 'Test User', 'smith92315@gmail.com', 'NotifyMe', 'HTML')

Quote · 24 Mar 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.