Modules that can bring money to site owners

Hi Guys,

This is a concern that I would like  to share, may be it will catch someone else attention, first I have to commend some of the developers out there for a job well done in terms of some Modules they have created and help they offer as result, but did anyone wonder what is really happening, that most of these modules in the market are only putting money in these developers pocket and not necessarily ours, and  don't get me wrong we all in this for the money in some way or another.

For a Social Media network to survive we need more cutting edge modules that will help us to compete in the world among some of these giants out there  or if the developers of Dolphin would consider integrating  a good phone and text program that would be a part of Dolphin core which would eliminate the problem when it comes to updating some of the modules we purchase on the market, as you know as soon as Dolphin upgraded some of these modules becomes useless.

We cannot build our business on those premise of having the features that our members accustom to on the website  become secondary we will eventually lose business and that means money.

The other point that I would like to put in focus is, if Dolphin is moving forward in the future of social networking why is it that some of these modules on the market is still not mobile friendly?

It is fair to say that 95% of the world is on a mobile phone seldom you find someone on a desktop computer today so if Dolphin is moving in the right direction then anyone and anything that is directly or indirectly connected to it should do the same, I joined the Dolphin community because I believe in the togetherness and this was the selling point that caught my attention when I stumbled upon this cutting edge technology that really had me fascinated, so in closing, let us build the community spirit of helping each other, does not matter how small that person may be, to grow to their full potential.

Quote · 27 Mar 2016

Firstly, not everyone is here to make money. I have no intention of charging for the site I'm working on and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Secondly, if your figures are correct (95% of the world is on a mobile phone seldom you find someone on a desktop computer today) why are you here? Dolphin is a desktop script with limited facilities for mobiles. Somehow I think you're trying to use a Mini Minor to cart concrete.

If you are half right which I doubt, I don't see Photoshop, CorelDraw, and hundreds of other programs rushing out to produce mobile versions.

It's often better to to get off the bus and catch another one going in the direction you want to go.

Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Hi misterp. It's always difficult to make generalisations in any aspect of life. I, like Demmy, have no intention to make one cent on what I'm building. It's about community for me, not money. For money, I have work and run businesses, for community, there's Dolphin. The two don't mix.

For mobile access and activity, it would be nice for Boonex to really make a nice mobile app but it's hard work to get something that works like the bigger social networks. Also, you don't have to rely on Dolphin or Boonex for that, there's plenty of third party providers that you can build mobile apps with, you just need to think outside the box.

The point you make about modules has been up for discussion for some time. My personal opinion is there needs to be better cohesion between Boonex and developers, so when Boonex is releasing something new which will break modules in an up and coming release, the developers should not only know about it (and prepare for it) but Boonex should also look at ways to have some backward compatibility.

From what I see on the most recent version co-operation is getting better but does have a long way to go. That's OK, Dolphin isn't everything for everyone.

Quote · 28 Mar 2016

so in closing, let us build the community spirit of helping each other, does not matter how small that person may be, to grow to their full potential.

That's a nice, warm fuzzy thought, but that's just not the way the world works when you need something beyond the basic necessities.  There is never, ever going to be some ground breaking technology spring from the general purpose market here on boonex.com.  That sort of thing takes money, and lots of it, to pay for a coder to put thousands of hours into a unique, custom application integrated within Dolphin. You will never be able to build a truly unique Dolphin site, technologically speaking, if all you have to work with are modules from the market here, because no developer is going to put in thousands of hours to develop a module without a guarantee of making a profit.  Hence, the only way to get something truly unique, is to take a risk and part with a bundle of money.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Those who are saying that they don't have the intention to charge money for the site. It's very good!

But if you are not supporting the mobile view of the site then surely you don't want to expand your community and hence, you are justing wasting your time with the site!

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2919103/mobile-wireless/google-says-mobile-now-dominates-search.html

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/smartphone-only-computer/

Boonex is making this script to earn money and when they will earn? When people will use it. And when people will use it? When they see, it is better than others. And when it will better that others? When it will do what people wants!

Initially, Dolphin was designed for Desktop. But do you want to carry your desktop where ever you go? If you want to reach more people then go via mobile!!

and this what Boonex did? Powerful, Beautiful, Mobile!

Still it has to travel a long way but its very slow. Speed up Dolphin!

Quote · 28 Mar 2016

you just need to think outside the box.

Tricking it out to be super mobile friendly is actually pretty easy. About 75% of my users are on phones or tablets and we have a much better mobile site then our competitors in the same niche. i been meaning to write some guides how to make dolphin a mobile superstar.

Untitled-1.jpg · 232.7K · 554 views
Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Do sunglasses come with it?

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Do sunglasses come with it?

couldn't resist

Deal-with-it.png · 12.9K · 760 views
Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Hey, Android App is looking great. Is it for your personal use or will you share/sell it??

Quote · 28 Mar 2016

I looked through the modules recently looking to how I might want to proceed, and I saw a number of ways to monetize things. Maybe expand your vision of your end product? If you offer something that most don't offer, users will pay. Devs get confused with all the numbers and the line about 'everyone wants it for free, XXX offers it for free and look how big they are'. You might also want to look into how to make real money from your site- data and such. Please don't come back and say that you don't want to sell data or any other crap like that; if you do.....you don't want to make money. There are a multitude of ways to profit in almost anything, you just got to figure it out. 

But yes, mod makers make money since they are selling a product. 

This reminds me of game-making platform forums- 'I just spent 2 years making my game and getting it perfect! It is now released to several markets! How do I market it so I can make money?'

Hi Guys,

This is a concern that I would like  to share, may be it will catch someone else attention, first I have to commend some of the developers out there for a job well done in terms of some Modules they have created and help they offer as result, but did anyone wonder what is really happening, that most of these modules in the market are only putting money in these developers pocket and not necessarily ours, and  don't get me wrong we all in this for the money in some way or another.

highartsculptures.com.....your favorite new site
Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Hey, Android App is looking great. Is it for your personal use or will you share/sell it??

It's still being developed, were doing the iOS and android dev side by side. since it's about 60% open source parts, a few 3rd party APIs integrated and contains a bunch of code we took of the dolphin app and mobile API... We're probably going to just drop it as free open source to avoid any legal issues when we're to good stable build we don't have to 'support'.  

Quote · 28 Mar 2016

It's still being developed, were doing the iOS and android dev side by side. since it's about 60% open source parts, a few 3rd party APIs integrated and contains a bunch of code we took of the dolphin app and mobile API... We're probably going to just drop it as free open source to avoid any legal issues when we're to good stable build we don't have to 'support'.  

So, when we are going to experience its first release?Smile

Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Better questions, IMHO, would be "why not get other devs involved if you're open sourcing it anyway? why do it all yourself ? ".

It's akin to a student in Helsinki in 1988 dabbling with some code and ending up with very rough kernel code and posting that on the internet to interested parties. Many downloaded it, contributed and we soon had GNU software with a Linux kernel.

Boonex may even be interested in contributing some of their resources, it's for their platform after all.

So, when we are going to experience its first release?Smile

Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Modules alone don't make money, content does.

You could have all the best modules in the world, but without content on your site that users are willing to pay for, then you have nothing. Unless ofcourse you have a niche community that is willing to pay for their own network outside of fbook.

Being creative with using existing modules is another thing, and again, that completely depends on the user base you are aiming at with your site and their interests / needs.

Niche and need.

On the mobile point, evo template is reponsive and with the right approach to layout and page design, you can have a decent 'mobile' site.

Out the box, D will be uggly on mobile. Tip - get a clean install, set up your modules needed (less is more) then strip everything else right back -menu links, page blocks, block design, action buttons, unneccesary links etc...

At least 50% of default content can be removed and your layout will look a heck of a lot cleaner and lighter on navigation. It will also (with the right design) be a good mobile site.

Quote · 28 Mar 2016

Modules alone don't make money, content does.

You could have all the best modules in the world, but without content on your site that users are willing to pay for, then you have nothing. Unless ofcourse you have a niche community that is willing to pay for their own network outside of fbook.

Being creative with using existing modules is another thing, and again, that completely depends on the user base you are aiming at with your site and their interests / needs.

Niche and need.

On the mobile point, evo template is reponsive and with the right approach to layout and page design, you can have a decent 'mobile' site.

Out the box, D will be uggly on mobile. Tip - get a clean install, set up your modules needed (less is more) then strip everything else right back -menu links, page blocks, block design, action buttons, unneccesary links etc...

At least 50% of default content can be removed and your layout will look a heck of a lot cleaner and lighter on navigation. It will also (with the right design) be a good mobile site.

this guy gets it!

evo is a good template if you tweak the CSS and template files. I'm just using a heavy modded evo template.

we did the lazy thing and just mod the designbox's to show or hide blocks depending on the resolution, status, etc... most our pages have duplicate blocks with different options so the site displays clean on all devices. for example there about 32 blocks on our homepage but only 4-7 display at any given time... or on mobile everything above the page body hides, adds a top margin, adds a fixed nav (sticky) mobile menu and load 4 css buttons for common actions instead of that stock menu bar with drop down on pages that need it

Quote · 30 Mar 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.