Multi-domain installation

I want to install Dolphin on two other servers and two other domains, but have them all using the same MYSQL and basic settings.

If I download the Dolphin/Ray/Orca package so as to get a License, for each domain, but then just copy the files from the active domain to the other two servers, and change some logos and graphics, will that work, or do I actually need to install on each server.

If I need to install on each server, will the install program be smart enough not to overwrite my existing MYSQL files.  Our database server is separate from the production servers.

Are the MYSQL files and setting domain dependent.

Are there any other suggestions for a multi-domain installation.

This question is not a matter of License, it is one of systems administration.  ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

My alternative is to do a separate installation, with a different MYSQL database name, and then spend lots of time writing SQL code to make the two databases work together.  That seems like an unnecessary waste of time.

Arthur

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Hey girl. You say that you didn't understand, but you understood exactly.  But I like your logical mind.

Yes.  3 production servers, and 1 separate database server.  A common database system.

There are two alternatives:

Alternative #1 is to have www.site1.com, www.site2.com, and www.site3.com

Alternative #2 is to have sitename1.site1.com, sitename2.site1.com, sitename3.site.com

The Alternative #2 would not need much finessing. Some of the hassle can be handled in Apache conf files.

Alternative #2, is a little more complicated.

Both share some complications.

The main question right now is the database clobbering on installation....and does there need to be an actual installation vs just a copy files, and a simple modification to the main inc file.

I am actually not even sure I want to have ALL of the database tables shared.  In other words, the most desirable set up would be to have some of the tables be the same, and some be different.  So, a business professionals profile can be different than a profile for a mommy.

Arthur

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Yes.  The database server is a RAID server. It is on our backbone, so the three production servers connect to it directly.

I think you have answered my question.  A fresh install on a different production server is going to overwrite the database tables because they are centrally located.  I will need to carefully think about how to do this.  Too bad.  I was hoping to jump right into my next step.

Arthur

Quote · 8 Jul 2008

Hi,

If you can connect all servers to use one SQL this is good

What you cam perform to prevent you from overwriting database ..

just create another one database (temp) and just install any new clean dolphin to this database :)

after installing just change SQL connection (header.inc.php)

th your common database at RAID server

and no need change SQL codes, .. just make good connection (possible via sockets)

Quote · 9 Jul 2008

Thanks, AndreP.  I will give that a try.  I think it will work.   It will depend on on the Admin configurations on one server affect the other.   I might need to fiddle with it to keep configuration table in the database separate.  I'll let you know how it works.

a

Quote · 9 Jul 2008

Install it at different servers. Then you can change the database itself. If you copy the installed files it may cause path problems.

----
Quote · 9 Jul 2008

Thank you prav.  I am in the midst of a second install on machine two.  I have hit two snags  The first install on machine 1 went easy because I have other services that are php dependent on that server.  The second machine has not had any php based services installed yet.  My snag is that I have to stop to install mbstring and GD library modules on server #2.  Derailed by the details.

Quote · 10 Jul 2008

You need php with mbstring and GD for dolphin to work correctly.

----
Quote · 13 Jul 2008

We installed a new php package with the necessary ingredients.  The site went up just fine and is now operating.   Will now start to deal with other issues of connecting two services relationally.

Arthur

Quote · 13 Jul 2008

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.