Path to Dolphin

I had yesterday on 21.03.2019

posted this question here.

Unfortunately, she was deleted.

I will post it again

what do I understand by the path;

"Path to Dolphin"

The document root (The path to the base directory of the website.)

or

root / var / www / ****** / my-website.com/httpsdocs/

Thank you

Quote · 22 Mar 2019

I have been tasked with the job of setting up some sort of online social network for parents at my kids' school. I thought of doing a facebook group, or a google+ community, but of course some people don't use facebook; others don't want google+, and so on. Now there are plenty of self-hosted options (Elgg, Exo, HumHub for example), any of which I could install on my VPS (which runs Ubuntu Server). But this is only going to be a smallish group, with limited use, so I don't need the biggest and best software, just something simple which will allow for sharing of information in as easy a way as possible (not all parents are hugely tech-savvy).

I suppose I could cut right back and simply make a wiki available... but I don't know if that would be what people would want to use.

I'd welcome suggestions and advice! Thanks.

Quote · 22 Mar 2019

@Vindieselwalker. Welcome to Dolphin and the forum. Unfortunately you've posted in another person's topic, but not to worry. Just create a new topic from the sub menu in future. it gets easier as you go.

Although it would be great to have another Dolphin user in our midst, you are correct in the assumption that the scripts you mention are huge. Yes, they're mostly designed for big memberships, but I actually run one with no membership at all.

There is one little-known script out there that may be of interest to you. It's been around for a very long time and it's name suggests it's for family's or smaller groups of people.

It's called Family Connections:  http://www.familycms.com/

Take a look, it may be exactly what you want.

Quote · 22 Mar 2019

I answered your post yesterday, I don't know why the post would have been deleted.

The path to Dolphin is the path on the server from the root of the server.  The root of the server is / (I am speaking of Linux and not Windows server).  Where Dolphin is located depends on the server.  If you are on shared hosting the path will be different than if you are on a dedicated server.  For a dedicated server or VPS, the path to Dolphin would be something along the lines of /var/www/html; or /var/www/public_html.

On a shared hosting platform, things are set up a bit different.  You can see the path in cPanel by looking at the left hand pane.  Many shared hosting will set you up with a directory under /home.  so the path may be /home/user-name/public_html.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 22 Mar 2019

And if you are using Plesk as a control panel, then the path is different as well.  You can find the path listed in the Plesk control panel.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 22 Mar 2019

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.