Postpone Dolphin 10

Please reconsider the release of Dolphin 10 to a later date.  Many have yet to fully test modules with Dolphin 7.3.  Many have yet to work out bugs with the upgrade patches to 7.2.x/7.3; two members on Boonex have seen database table rows related to versioning and licensing disappear during an upgrade; one was me and I do know how to upgrade.  It is too early to release an entirely new Dolphin version.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 28 May 2016

They can release it, we just shouldn't touch it.

Embarassed

Besides, there are still bugs on 7.3.0 that need to be looked at and patched, surely.

Oh, and Deano is hard at work getting his modules 7.3.0 compatible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MichelMeta-Travel.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TravelNotes.org - The Online Guide to Travel
Quote · 28 May 2016

something weird happening here. most of the module i bought are not upgradeable

and the same one i bought are in shop by known vendors such as anton and modzz .

its ridiculous to re-purchase the modules.

any way i am eager to see automatic core update cause every time there is an upgrade 

i walking on eggs fearing to destroy my site.

Always remember that the future comes one day at a time.
Quote · 28 May 2016

Fully agree. Just looking at Github there's a number of bugs on 7.3.0 that need fixing.

When I first installed 7.2.1, I got it running without any problems but was overwhelmed with the number of bugs it had, and the lack of "out-of-the-box" features which were actually feature complete.

I found I had to buy modules which made the system more feature complete, but then had to manage those bugs with third party developers and Boonex, to get those bugs fixed. Dolphin really should have such features in-built into their modules already.

Just as some case in points:

1) video embed's - why should Dolphin only support Youtube and buy something for additional support?

2) social logins and to some extent, social sharing - why should Dolphin only support Facebook and then one has to buy something for Linkedin, Google+, Twitter, etc so people can login? why are only a few social shares available instead of much more?

3) menu's in templates - the horizontal menu for desktop and mobile access just doesn't make sense to me. Must be historical but how hard is it to implement a proper css3 or javascript drawer or off-canvas menu that's responsive (whether it be vertical or horizontal) ? I did one in a couple of days.

4) Profile covers - the current implementation is very basic, something like the one "Emmmetbytes" released and paansystems made compatible with 7.3 should be part of core.

Generally speaking, when looking at the amount of work the Boonex team are doing ie:

• supporting older Dolphin releases
  • working on Dolphin current release
  • working on mobile releases and platforms for various Dolphin releases
  • working on Dolphin U / Trident
  • working on updated Dolphin versions
  • other things which take up management, human issues and time over a 24 hour period

With a limited number of developers required over different technologies, there's always the danger of spreading them too thinly and then having a "difficult to manage" juggling act going on.

IMHO focus is the key, make core things stable and feature complete and don't worry so much about the "next big thing", admins/developers will gather around something that's stable and feature complete more than the "flashing lights, bells and whistles" that can only hold someone's attention for so long.

What I'm saying here is, put as much resources into 7.3.x as possible, hitting the key areas of the social network software, the whole point it's around.

Please reconsider the release of Dolphin 10 to a later date.  Many have yet to fully test modules with Dolphin 7.3.  Many have yet to work out bugs with the upgrade patches to 7.2.x/7.3; two members on Boonex have seen database table rows related to versioning and licensing disappear during an upgrade; one was me and I do know how to upgrade.  It is too early to release an entirely new Dolphin version.

Quote · 28 May 2016

The next update is 7.3.1, most probably Dolphin 10 will be delayed for several months.

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 29 May 2016

Hi Alex. Do you go through a community beta testing phase?

We could backup our servers, apply 7.3.1 beta, report back any issues, even to 3rd party devs, before official RC or full release?

The next update is 7.3.1, most probably Dolphin 10 will be delayed for several months.

Quote · 29 May 2016

Yes, it will be at least one beta before the final release.

Do you go through a community beta testing phase?

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 30 May 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.