Potential Solution How To Stop Mods-Upgrade-Pain

Greetings -

I have a potential solution which can be a good solution for the Vendors, Boonex Team and most importantly for our community. Everyone Wins !

Dolphin is a great platform & a very stable system when things are done right.  My Hat’s off to the Boonex team for all the efforts they have put in for all these years to be where we are today.  But lets face it, at times things can easily go south and painfully so due to the fact that we have to keep track of all external Mods that have been integrated within our sites.  As you know, some of these Mods stop working anytime Dolphin comes out with a new patch or new release upgrade. Many of us including myself have purchased few Mods and spent lots of money to further enhance our sites. In other words, we made the decision to spend extra money to purchase new Mods. Therefore, spending extra money is not the issue, but rather, the REAL ISSUE is when the Mod stops working or the vendor totally disappears and as result we are left with not just malfunction Mods, but it also drags along the good reputation of our sites as well as the good reputation of Dolphin system overall..  This does not look good on the sites’ owners, nor on the Vendors and neither on Boonex Team..

Having said that, we ought to have a reliable solution for this.. Seriously.. If there is a will, there is a way..

Below is my suggestion and please provide your feedback and any other suggestions you may have in hopes we can collectively come up with a good solution to stop the Mods-Upgrade-Pain..

Boonex should have 2 instances type of DolphinDolphin-D-### exp: 
Dolphin-D-730 (D for Dolphin / 730 is the release) and [ Dolphin-DM-###  exp: Dolphin-DM-730 (M for Mods).  Both instance type should have the same version/release at all time and at anytime a new upgrade is released, but the difference is:

> Dolphin-D-730:   Should be the same as the default Dolphin as we have been getting with new features when a new Dolphin release is out – which will be used by folks who want to purchase the Mods on their own and upgrade the Mods on their own too.

> Dolphin-DM-730:    should be the same as Dolphin-D, but it should also include the most popular Mods on the market.  This way, when a new Dolphin version is released, the community should expect that all the Mods that come with the new DM release are automatically upgraded..

Isn’t that cool ?  The Mods-Upgrade-Pain is now over...  I hope Cool 

But hey, don’t expect Boonex to buy these Mods from their partners and give them to you for free ?
Of course not !  I am willing to give Boonex $99 every year as long as Dolphin-DM-### next release i.e. DM-800 has all the Mods I need which are already upgraded within the new DM-release and on every new release moving forward..

In turn, Boonex can negotiate with their Partners/Vendors regarding the proceeds.

At the end of the day, everyone wins. WE the community don’t have to deal with the Mods-Upgrade-Pain, Boonex team keeps generating more revenue on a yearly basis and not to mention the Vendors will also keep getting recurring revenue streams instead of one time fee when purchasing their Mods.

If we all agree and if Boonex Team also agrees, we can start posting the Mods we want to see on the next release, hopefully on new DM-800.  I am ready to subscribe to $99/yr regardless if I have a permanent license.

By the way, I am not a marketing person :) just an IT guy & looking out for this great community..

So, what do you think folks ?

Quote · 18 Mar 2016

> Dolphin-DM-730:    should be the same as Dolphin-D, but it should also include the most popular Mods on the market.  This way, when a new Dolphin version is released, the community should expect that all the Mods that come with the new DM release are automatically upgraded..

I think by design - this is already accomplished. - as you see, dolphin comes with a bunch of modules already - these would be the equivalent of your "most popular mods on the market". I have been using dolphin since 2011 and have seen the evolution of modules - even ones that were modules by members - but finally incorporated into dolphin. In my opinion, the existing modules are the most common ones. And as such - these modules are upgraded - if necessary - with Dolphin.

Other modules that you purchase - a whole different ballgame. Since Boonex is not responsible for them - it is not a guarantee that a module will be upgraded or compatible with an updated Dolphin.

caredesign.net
Quote · 18 Mar 2016

Actually there is automatic upgrade procedure for 3rd-party modules. vendor just need to upload it to boonex and all their clients with this module with get the upgrade automatically (FTP access must be specified in Dolphin admin panel).

Unfortunately not many developers are using this great feature!

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 20 Mar 2016

Hi Alex. Has Boonex communicated this to developers?

I remember asking a (popular) developer this exact question, asking how the updates work in the back end, his reply was (to the effect of) "I have no idea, Boonex haven't told us how to use it".

I'll email him now referring him to this thread.

Actually there is automatic upgrade procedure for 3rd-party modules. vendor just need to upload it to boonex and all their clients with this module with get the upgrade automatically (FTP access must be specified in Dolphin admin panel).

Unfortunately not many developers are using this great feature!

Quote · 9 Apr 2016

Has Boonex communicated this to developers?

I remember asking a (popular) developer this exact question, asking how the updates work in the back end, his reply was (to the effect of) "I have no idea, Boonex haven't told us how to use it".

https://www.boonex.com/trac/dolphin/wiki/HowToMakeAutomaticUpgradeScriptForModule 

Rules → http://www.boonex.com/terms
Quote · 13 Apr 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.