Prevent group admin from deleting group

Might be having a stupid moment, but can site admin prevent a group admin from deleting their own group...

Mem level permissions only seem to allow to delete 'any' group or not, but not restrict from deleting own group which is default setup.

Quote · 15 Oct 2015

I am not sure I understand the question.  Membership levels allow one to set up a moderator and give them access to removing content; so if their action allows them to remove a group they can remove a group.  As for the admins inside of a group, they only have access to the actions allowed for group admins of that group.  It is my understanding that outside of a site admin, only the owner of the group can remove the group.

Geeks, making the world a better place
Quote · 15 Oct 2015

Only owner of the group can delete the group. if a new admin made and old admin got kicked out..still old admin the owner have the power to delete the group. so the only solution is you create groups for people and make them admin.

Umar Haroon
Quote · 15 Oct 2015

Might be having a stupid moment, but can site admin prevent a group admin from deleting their own group...

Mem level permissions only seem to allow to delete 'any' group or not, but not restrict from deleting own group which is default setup.

There is no membership action for "Delete own groups", but there probably should be.  I'll move this to the features proposals forum, where it might get AlexT's attention.  I can see a situation where some member starts a group, and that group gathers a lot of members, and becomes very active. You would not want the group owner to have a psychotic episode and delete the group just because he can.

Membership level actions is one way. An alternative would be to place the group to be deleted in a moderation queue for the site admin, and the group would not be deleted until approved by the site admin.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 15 Oct 2015

You would not want the group owner to have a psychotic episode and delete the group just because he can.

Well, maybe yes and maybe no.  If one is running a group, they may become tired of running that group and want to remove it, an owner should have the right to remove their own group even if it has many members.  That should not change.  Of course warnings should be in place when deleting the group so that accidents can not happen.

What is really needed is a way for the owner of a group to pass that ownership to another member.  I recently had such a request and had to go into the database to change the owner of the group.

Quote · 15 Oct 2015

OK. I'm going to buy a Yamaha motorcycle and start a 'Yamaha Riders' group on your site. After 5 years, the groups has 5000 members and is a beehive of activity with thousands of forum posts, and thousands of photos the group members shared with each other.  However, I'm 5 years older, and I now realize that Yamahas are for wussies, so I'm giving my Yamaha to my grandmother, and I'm buying a bad ass Harley.  Screw Yamahas and anyone that rides one.  Excuse me while I go click that delete button.

My opinions expressed on this site, in no way represent those of Boonex or Boonex employees.
Quote · 15 Oct 2015

OK. I'm going to buy a Yamaha motorcycle and start a 'Yamaha Riders' group on your site. After 5 years, the groups has 5000 members and is a beehive of activity with thousands of forum posts, and thousands of photos the group members shared with each other.  However, I'm 5 years older, and I now realize that Yamahas are for wussies, so I'm giving my Yamaha to my grandmother, and I'm buying a bad ass Harley.  Screw Yamahas and anyone that rides one.  Excuse me while I go click that delete button.

Go ahead, as the owner of the group you have that right.   As I said, there should be an easy way for an owner of a group to pass the ownership to another member without contacting an admin to edit the database.

Quote · 15 Oct 2015

Maybe I will create a poll on my site and see how the members feel about an owner of the group having the right to delete the group.

Quote · 15 Oct 2015

OK HL, what about if an owner of a group doesn't want to own that group any longer.  How should that be handled?  What if no other members of the group wishes to own the group?  How should that be handled?  Valid questions that need to be address if changes are made.

Quote · 15 Oct 2015

Go ahead, as the owner of the group you have that right.

Yeah... and as the owner of the site, you have 5,000 pissed off members to deal with now.  Those 5,000 members made the group what it is, not the owner.

I like the idea of the delete button placing the group in a moderation queue for review bit the site admin, who should have the right to determine whether or not the group should be simply deleted.  Those 5,000 members might want a say in it as well.... that's why it's called a group.

Quote · 15 Oct 2015

You did not answer my question though, how should it be handled if the owner does not want to be owner and no other member of the group wants to be owner and none of the admins want to be owner (I have enough duties as an admin already than to own a group).  Then there is no one to do the things that only the owner of the group can do, like set group admins or remove group admins.

Quote · 15 Oct 2015

You did not answer my question though, how should it be handled if the owner does not want to be owner and no other member of the group wants to be owner and none of the admins want to be owner (I have enough duties as an admin already than to own a group).

I'd let the Boonex Autopilot own it.

Quote · 15 Oct 2015

@ Houston

We thought of the same potential problem.

There is no reason to allow a member to build a group and get it super active then just say "screw you all i'm done" and delete it. so why don't you just remove the delete group action button and make the group owner have apply to have the group deleted? you can delete ANY group on the back-end of dolphin. Or you can go into the database and change the group "Owner" to someone that wants to actually grow the group and have their collective best interest at heart.

We have it set up so that once the group is over 50 members they have to apply. if it is under 50 members the group admin still has access to the 'delete group button' in the actions box

warm regards

xavier

Quote · 2 Mar 2016

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.