Progress Indicators

I have a query that hits the classified table with a high number of records in it.  I've worked with others to do some speed tests and with most it's ok but with me, from my location, the data return speed is horrible.  I suspect it is because I have a real time SPAM and real time AV monitor running which may be looking at each item before it allows it 'in'.  I use fiber optics and my up/down connection speed is killer. Actually this worries me a bit since some of my users may still be using low cost dialup to browse my site. But back to the point of interest...

What I am looking for is some type of visual cue to the user so he/she knows what is going on.  When the page loads slow, it appears nothing is happening and in user testing, they tend to click off the page to something else or continually hit the refresh button before the data can load.

I've played with some things but I can't seem to get a graphic to set the users expectation that the page is working, just taking a bit to download to their machine.  I would really dig some code that would have a simple graphic normally hidden, but when the page begins to load, that graphic appears with a message akin to:

"Now loading record [x] of [y]."

Any ideas?

Quote · 21 Feb 2009

Below is the legacy version of the Boonex site, maintained for Dolphin.Pro 7.x support.
The new Dolphin solution is powered by UNA Community Management System.